Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mahindra 2615 Loader for Snow no traction

View my Photos
dave5000
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-25          189207

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone has any info regarding using tire chains on a 2006 Mah.2615? I have the Industrial tires on it and it looks like there is about 1/2" clearance on the inside top (rears). Probably not enough for chains...

Thinking of switching to Turf tires, so if you have the same model and turf tires on the rears, how much clearance do you have on the inside side wall (at the top)?

OR have you successfully put chains on the Industrial tires?

Thanks for any help and info, I appreciate your time.

-d5k

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dododo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-25          189210

You have 4WD on that model right?

Are you sure you need the chains?

Turf tires give better traction on snow than industrial.

Most people find that 4WD and Turf tires are the best option unless your grade is real steep and or you have switch backs.

Then you will need the chains assuming you are talking about snow and ice use.

I had chains on a two drive Tractor and thought I would have to have them on a 4WD as well, but not needed at all. With turf and 4WD have have to be sure to switch out of 4WD if even if I am going over ice with a little sand on it.

If you are doing a paved drive the chains will cause turf tires with chains to actually reduce the tires traction with the pavement. ....

View my Photos
dave5000
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-26          189234

Thanks dododo,

Yes I have M4WD and yes to Ice & Snow and some grades. Not much pavement.
I was sliding all over the place and very little up hill progress... got stuck a few times but was able to get myself out. I had to take running shots going up the driveway then back blade the snow.

I will try the turf tires, hopefully that will be enough traction.

Thanks again-
d5k

View my Photos
minimac

2014-02-26          189236

DODODO gave good advice if you are using a snow blower. Once you say that you're pushing with either a loader Or a grader blade or snow plow the story is a little different you will get better traction with snow tires like turf tires but on ice it just may not push so you may just need the chains and turf tires After all.

What are you using for snow removal? Do have loaded tires or ballast to help with traction? ....

View my Photos
dave5000

2014-02-26          189237

Hey minimac,

I'm using the loader bucket at the moment.
No other ballast yet & air only in tires.
Not the best for uphill snow removal I realize...

I'm hoping someone with turfs can give me a measurement -

Thanks-
d5k ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-26          189238

Dave,

You might try keeping your industrial tires and opt for the studs, instead.

Studs are easy to install and remove. No clearance issues, and LOTS of additional traction. There are many different styles and lengths to choose from, but here's one example.

Install them in the beefy portion of your outer tire treads, where you won't penetrate the air liner.

See the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Tire Studs for snow and Ice

View my Photos
dododo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-26          189239

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the picture.

I think you can put the tires and chains to the side after looking at the picture.

I remember many years ago talking to a Kubota salesmen about my tractor needs. Oh yeah he said you can buy the front end loader and set it just above your drive couple inches, and use the rear grader blade to scrape it to the bottom.

He must have moved into the area from Atlanta or had a month end promotion on loaders!

I got the loader and the back blade, and that is the most hopeless set up for snow removal that you could imagine if you a long drive. If you live on a small lot with a hundred or so feet of driveway, stay with the loader back blade combo, you need the handicap of this set up so that you can have fun playing with he loader, in this case the blower or snow blade gets you done too fast, and what is the fun in that :-) The loader is for sure not the way to go where you live or for a long drive on a couple of acres.

The best IMHO if you don't have too much crap on the unpaved drive is a snowblower either front or rear. I like front for my long drive...

If you do not want to spring for the blower, then go with a front mount snow blade.

The snowblower is the best and needs very little traction 1000% better than what you are doing, Front Snow Blade 100% better than loader.

If you still are not convinced, putting at least 250 pounds (about what a grader blade weighs) or more on the 3PH will make an improvement but still be miserable... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-02-26          189244

Studs don't generally help much for traction in deep snow, on ice or frozen ground they're incredible though.

Are the tires turned to the widest stance? I can't say I've ever seen a tractor that wouldn't allow more than 1/2" clearance, otherwise mud and such would bind it up.

As was mentioned, weight will hugely improve traction, put anything heavy (rear blade, bush hog, wood-splitter, etc.) on the 3pth. If the snow is deep I'll keep a 1,000 pound box blade on my 3pth as ballast.

If you need to whip up your own it's very simple. Get a plastic 55 gallon plastic drum, cut a small hole in each side just big enough to slip a drawbar through then fill it with concrete. BTW, a 55 gal. drum completely full of concrete is about 1,000 pounds, to have less weight just lower the holes and drawbar and only partly fill it. The empty space at the top makes a handy spot to carry a chain, rope, etc.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Mitchb

2014-02-26          189252

I use my FEL and back blade to move snow around my place and when I need extra traction I put chains on my front axle.

Mitch ....

View my Photos
dave5000

2014-02-26          189260

Thanks again for all your info. I truly appreciate it.

Joel, thanks for the stud idea and link.

Murf, yeah I can't widen the axles / rims, They are set and reversing them won't do it.
Thanks for the 55 gal drum weight idea! very cool.

Mitch, I thought about chains on the front but that will put unequal stress on parts that grip and parts that don't....

thanks for your info too dododo!

Moving the 2'-3' banks of snow is my main goal.

I posted a pic of the rear, it's on the next page.
The tightest spot is about 1/2" away from the support.

Thanks,
d5k

View my Photos
dave5000

2014-02-26          189261

Mahindra 2615 rear clearance issue ....

Picture Link
Other Tractor Brands Mahindra 2615 Loader for Snow no traction

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-27          189262

Dave,

You might look into purchasing a set of wheel spacers for the rear axle. Putting spacers in will allow room for chains.

Spacers are available for most anything. It's a simple plate, with holes drilled and tapped for your lug bolts. A second set of holes is used for mounting the spacer to your hub.

You'll need the diameter and bolt pattern for your wheel, as well as the thickness needed for the spacer. If you haven't seen these before, here's a link.

See below.

Joel ....

Link:   Wheel Spacers

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-27          189263

Dave,

For even more spacing, they make these.......

More expensive, however.

Joel ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
dave5000

2014-02-27          189265

Thanks Joel,

I did some asking about spacers, most of the info was:
"not a good idea because you rely on the lug nuts to bear the weight and do the work instead of the hub."

your experience?

d5k ....

View my Photos
Art White

2014-02-27          189267

Many things enter into play with spacers! Axle strength is one as well as the attaching hardware.
One thing nobody mentioned is the air pressure of the tires will make a difference in grip. An industrial tires sidewalls do not give much but any is helpful and other wise if you are normally on cleared areas with no depth of snow that you are driving over I'd recommend the studs in the tires. We have had great success with them from groomers to tractors. ....

View my Photos
dave5000

2014-02-27          189268

Thanks Art, good point about the air pressure...

and as far as the ground I am driving over, its basically after I've moved some of the snow or all of it.

I will get the turf tires and see how those improve traction.

d5k

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login