Go Bottom Go Bottom

Task Master Tractors Are they any good

View my Photos
Brian
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-12          1676

I,m looking to buy a 4x4 tractor.Looks like you can get more for your buck if you go none U.S. made.Looking for your comments & if you own a Task Master Tractor please contact me.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Barry

1999-03-12          1677

I'll be keeping an eye on the responses to this question. I'm in the same boat as you! I came across the task master tractors in a Ky. tractor want ad.I cannot find a local dealer for either the task master or the shenniu tractor.I live in southern New England.I would not want to buy something that I've never seen before or ever hear anything about good or bad. Good luck with your search like I said I'll be looking for any info that you receive ....

View my Photos
Brian

1999-03-12          1678

Barry, Found them on the net, you can get info by calling them at 541-926-6376.Dealers closes to you are in NC & GA. ....

View my Photos
Steve

1999-03-12          1683

is there a compact tractor made thats not made in another country, I dont know of one made in the USA ....

View my Photos
KenB

1999-03-16          1750

I'd be very careful purchasing Chinese equipment, since their manufacturing quality control is so poor. I've yet to hear from anyone who loves his Chinese tractor -- Shenniu, TaskMaster, Bison, Hardy, etc. etc. Common complaints include poor fit and finish, shoddy assembly, rough castings, poor reliability, spotty parts availability, zero ergonomics and poor machining. On the other hand, I've heard from several people who own "grey market" tractors and, in spite of the difficulty in finding parts and support, absolutely LOVE their choice. So, if you want a tractor you'll have trouble with, this might be a better way to go. Follow the link below for more info. ....

View my Photos
Barry

1999-03-17          1770

Brian , did you see the comments on chinese tractors in the machinery forum? It doesn't look to be very much support for these tractors. ....

View my Photos
KenB

1999-03-19          1833

(Sorry, link doesn't show up in "thread" mode). To learn more about grey market tractors, follow this link: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/kb13/ans_grey.htm. -Ken ....

View my Photos
Jim

1999-03-19          1849

Hey Barry,Check w/ Jims farm equip. in Gallipolis OH about SHINNEU. they are related to the importer ....

View my Photos
Brad

1999-06-20          5335

Shenniu tractors are sold at Jim's Equpment in Gallpolis, OH. He has been selling them for atleast 10 plus years. He has customers in West virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio. Surely someone in that area could answer this question. I am interested in the answer too. I'm looking for a 25 to 30 HP 4WD tractor. I mow a lot on hills. Hay, it is West Virginia. ....

View my Photos
billOC

2002-10-01          43171

I bought a task master 32HP 4wd tractor last year from the importer in Oregon.
I have to admit that I had my share of problems with the tractor. My problems had more to do with the assembly rather than design.
The finish , ergonomics, and comfort of the tractor is marginal. You have to check that bolts are tight, make sure that hydraulic hoses and wiring is routed and supported correctly.
I re-located all of the control switches and ignition switch. I re-designed the parking brake to be spring loaded and automatically release. I desinged a time delay glow plug timer so I don't have to hold the key in glow plug mode.

In general, the items that I didn't like were the less complicated external features and I changed them. The motor, drive train, steering and PTO are all massive and tough.

My tractor cost me less than half of a Massey, New Holland, or any of the other more known names. All of the tractors less than 50 HP are imported and assembled. The big name manufacturers simply have more experience assembling them and they order them with more bells and whistles.

I love my tractor. I think that if you want to save $10K to $15K (like I did) then you should get one and expect to do some work on it. If you can't do minor work on a tractor, I question your abiilty to run one. ....

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-10-01          43198

I've sold Taskmaster and still sell gray-market Yanmars. I quit the Taskmasters due to quality issues. Not everyone is so handy or willing as BillOC. He did a good job touching on the major issues. The engines seem strong, but from there the quality falls off. The design is very dated as well, and controls are not ergonomically comfortable. I still sell the Yanmars and my customers are very happy. They are top quality machines. If you want to stay away from the grays and still save some money, I'd suggest the Korean tractors such as Branson, Kioti, Century, TYM, and the Korean Mahindra's. The quality and features are very similar to the Big 3 brands, and the prices are very reasonable. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
John Nelson

2002-10-23          44106

There are a lot of people who LOVE their Chinese tractors. With over 3000 Jinmas sold in USA in 2002 and more for 2003 they seem to be doing OK. Task Master sells the other favored brand of Chinese tractor and all us Chinese tractor dealers think theirs is better. However the Chinese make more tractors than anyone else in the world, more diesel engines than anyone else in the world. They have done so for some time. Their concerns about fit and finish are not as high as USA however the machine runs well and does so in every country in the world without highcost dealer support like the Big guys. Check out www.ctoa.net to get Chinese Tractor OWNERS opinions about these tractors. ....

Link:   Chinese Tractor OWNERS Association

View my Photos
STSIMON

2003-02-17          49392

My expereince, although just a new owner of a Chinese tractor, is that I was not willing to pay $5 to $9 thousand more for the refinements provided by Kubota, JD, or Kioti. The tractor I bought, Task Master 438, works fine. ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2003-02-17          49398

Barry
since you are not registered and I don't know where you live, there is a dealer in New Haven and one in westborough Ma ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2003-02-17          49399

Barry
since you are not registered and I don't know where you live, there is a dealer in New Haven and one in westborough Ma ....

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-02-17          49424

It all depends on what you can live with or without. If you can put up with the quirks of the brand,and are mechanically inclined,then buy one. But if you need the most up to date bells and whistles,and want to pay for these luxuries a Chinese tractor will surely leave you disapointed! ....

View my Photos
Paul Young

2003-05-17          55039

I bought a farm pro an everything seems to be ok? I think I saved about 5000. on it Their are a lot of add ons that are not on the big 3 ... at no cost.So far so good ,I hope it stays this way?????????? ....

View my Photos
Jinma354

2003-05-19          55101

I have a Jinma 354 35hp and its not really any more trouble then any of the other tractors i own one being a Kubota. ....

View my Photos
Stephen

2003-05-22          55393

I bought a 38hp task master early this year with a frontend loader. I'm working a 13A area that is thick with trees and clay mixed with sand and mud. I haven't had any problems that I wouldn't expect (I paid only 12-K compared to the 20+ needed for a JD). As for the roughness of the finishing, I don't see any problems unless you are trying to pick up girls with it, then you may want to re-evaluate your task in women. I did switch out some of the fuses as they were the chinese wire types. Engine works great, uses US oil filters, seat is confortable, good clearance, and good power compared to the smaller ones you would have to get with the same money on other brands -- power is one thing you would wish you had a lot of after you buy a smaller one. good luck ....

View my Photos
noone

2003-07-30          60490

Do they use american oil filters? ....

View my Photos
X

2003-07-30          60492

No and this may be a problem ....

View my Photos
DrJ225

2003-08-17          62035

Actually, most Chinese tractors have cross reference numbers for American filters. Just Picked up a couple for my Jinma 254 today, Fram PH 3950. Check out CTOA (Chinese Tractors Owners Association for the largest amount of info.

My Jinma ia a great tractor that cost me under $6000. From what I read it will drag around many of the big name tractors that are supposed to have more horsepower. And may cost twice as much. I've had NO problems with mine. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-17          62036

I did alot of research and at first was leaning towards a Chinese tractor due to cost. I chose to go with a no-frills JD 790 which was not THAT much more than some of the 30hp Chinese tractors I considered, around 11k vs. 7k(without implements)

My main reason for going with one of the "big" names was that I have gone long enough without a tractor and don't want to be without one again. All tractors breakdown eventually and you see posts of Chinese owners waiting literally months for parts or solutions to a problem without nearby service or support. This being my first tractor I really didn't want to have a tractor sitting idle with a problem I couldn't figure out while I shovelled horse $H!t :) I can fix basic stuff but I don't have tons of equipment nor do I want tractor tinkering to be my new hobby.

I think if you want to save some money you would be better off buying an older American tractor for even less than a new Chinese tractor and you would still have parts and service nearby. Also if you upgrade those old tractors can be sold ot traded-in for what you paid, I doubt the new Chinese tractors will hold their value at even close to that rate.

I am not saying that one can't be very happy with the Chinese bands but I think you need a little gamblers mentality or be very mechanically inclined to roll the dice on one. ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2003-08-18          62115

The Chinese tractor situation is continuing to improve. Parts availability is getting better all the time. They certainly aren't for everyone. I'd say if you don't use a tractor more than a few hours a week, and don't mind tinkering once in a while they can be an excellent value.
IN your case you are talking about a savings of $4,000, almost 40%! That could buy a car for your kid or pay a semester of college.
Look at it this way. Lets suppose the Mean time between failures on your JD790 is 600 hours (I don't have stats just a WAG!). Lets say the chinese tractor has a MTBF of 150 hours. NOw assume you use your tractor 100 hours per year. You could expect a problem with your Chinese tractor every year and a half, It would be over 3 years before your Green tractor broke. So you had to fix three things and saved $ 4,000. YOu could pay yourself $1300 each time and still be ahead. Of course if you use the tractor 2000 hours a year, you would have to fix something every month and that would get old, so it really depends how much you need to run it. The repairs are usually minor, O-ring, electrical switch, etc. There is certainly a place for both!

I buy Chinese tools for jobs I don't do often around the house. For the shop, I like to buy the best I can afford.

As far as resale, I'd bet if you added the $4000 back to whatever you sold the Chinese tractor for, it would be darn close, maybe even more than what you get for the Green one! Watch for improving tractors from China, I think they will fill the gap that the Koreans left when they raised their prices this year to about what the Japanese tractors cost...

BTW, I am a dealer for chinese tractors, in case you hadn't guessed! ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-18          62116

"That could buy a car for your kid or pay a semester of college."

My "kid" is getting my by that time, 10 year old F350 and when was the last time you priced colleges? :)

I understand they are a big $$ savings...if things go well. What I am saying is that they have a bigger "IF" factor than the JD. I know I could trade up and sell this thing anytime. With the horses and snow the tractor being down is more of an inconvenience than it is for the average homeowner/tractor user.

As I said if I was going to go with something that isn't really supported by a large dealer parts network where I might have to wrench myself I would have bought used.

For me a warranty and dealer 2 miles away makes sense. That's just me, other guys may be more suited for the Chinese tractors.

Good luck, I think they will continue to make inroads and get better.

View my Photos
chipuren

2003-08-18          62123

Well,,,, When I went to school.... $4,000 would have paid two years worth of tuition and books, Married housing was $110 a month, utilities paid!

We have been blessed that my son got a full scholdarship based on his ACT score, but I think it would have cost a bit more than $4,000 per semester otherwise.

Hope you get many many years of trouble free service from your green machine!

View my Photos
hick11h1369

2004-05-24          86740

Hello, some of you may know me, I am Patrick Webb, I have several posts under Lenar Tractors. The reason that I am responding to this subject is simple. Taskmaster is part of Mazama Products, the same company that markets Lenar tractors. My point is this, I have had several Lenars in under a 6 month period, all were lemons, now I am stuck with this tractor and I just found out that one Lenar dealer does not have to work on a tractor that he did not sell. If it is that way for Lenar, it may be that way for a Taskmaster. Just because your dealer is there today, will he be there a yr or three yrs from now when you need a mechanic. What I have found is that mechanics shy away from products that they are not familiar with or machines that they are not sure that they can get parts for. With all the posts that I have read about Taskmaster, I think I would really think about where I spent my money. The true value of a tractor comes from service after the sale, not the sale price. If it is broke and doesnt run, and there is no one to work on it, did you really save any money??? Just a thought to ponder. Good luck guys. Integrity is everything. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-05-27          86984

Chipuren
Do you drive a Kia? ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2004-05-27          86997

No I don't why do you ask? ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-05-28          87077

I was curious as to weather you applied your theory to automobiles? ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-05-28          87085

Grinder, I have a JD but I have no problem with a decision for some people to buy a chinese tractor. My Dad would have been the first to buy one over a JD and would have kept it running forever. Its just where you put your priorities and whether you like tinkering.

My Dad never bought new cars, he had a 16' boat that you had to sit on buckets, etc. He fixed everything with angle iron and a drill or some wire. To him purchasing new expensive toys was a no-no, a failure to use your common sense. He ended up with 2 homes, one in Cape Cod - one in New York with pond and 3 acre lawn, and lots of money for my mother when he passed away.

View my Photos
chipuren

2004-05-28          87086

Grinder, I guess following your logic, you think everyone should only drive Japanese cars? (By the way, KIA is S. Korean not Chinese) I try to find the best price on the car that meets my wants and needs. In the 70's I bought a new Mazda GLC because it was cheaper than a used car. I bought a Plymouth Sapporo in the early 80's (sort of American like some US tractor companies selling Japanese tractors). Traded that on a new, little known brand called Acura, an Integra, and in 1989 I traded that on a Legend. Since then I have bought GMC Suburban, Dodge Intrepid, Mercury Mountaineer, Volvo S90, Ford F150 Lariat, Mercury Mystique LS (still have that) and a most recently a Dodge Ram 1500. To tell you the truth a Huyndai (another S.Korean make) came close to edging out the Mystique LS, both had V-6, Leather, 5 speed, etc, but the Mercury had a better net price. As I recall Kia didn't have a "loaded" sedan at that time so didn't really consider them, although they sell a lot of their Sportage SUVs.

Since you seem interested in my theories, and we have somehow gotten this into an automotive mode, I will share that I have long held that a major reason low cost cars fair so poorly in longevity and resale is that they are often sold to first time buyers who having bought a new car, feel they do not need (or cannot afford) proper maintenance. During my short Volvo ownership experience, I suspected the reason they last so long is somehow tied to the expnese of maintenance. I spent well over $500 a year just on scheduled maintenance at the Volvo dealership. I think if a Hyundai or KIA got that type of pampering service, they might make 500,000 miles too.

View my Photos
grinder

2004-05-28          87113

I am aware they are Korean, I would have chose a Chinese make but I don't think they make one that will pass American import standards for auto's.
I believe the Hyundai and Kia are owned by the same company.

View my Photos
ewengeo

2007-04-05          141062

I have a taskmaster 24hp I bought almost 2 yeats ago. It also had some installation problems but once they were ironed out have had nothing but success. Do think the clutch is slipping and don't have a good maitance manual to check, but will check with my dealer and find out what needs to be done. Have front end loader, brush hog, box scraper and rock rake. use all of them at one time or another without any problem. They all marry well with this tractor and for the price is great. Had a Mitsubishi for a short while, too many probems with the hydrolics. ....

View my Photos
NorthernMainer

2007-10-14          146949

:-( This is an interesting thread as I see very little comment on here about resale values on these Chinese tractors. I looked at the Titan 435 hard and studied it out and followed up the Dealers leads to customers he sold them to. I found in almost everycase the people that liked them were like that guys father listed here that liked to rebuild everything and modify stuff. The bottom line on these tractors is you needed to be half gorilla to get on and off them with everything right in the way where your feet should be. The seat is terrible. They have a noted feature of the loader failing back at the attachment point and the front arms cracking. I think they are getting better since this post was first launched but it should be noted that these things bring nothing used compared to Green and Orange tractors, that is something most people need to consider. I friend of mine bought a JD 4120 in 2005 for $21,000 and put 800 hrs on it bushhogging and made about 30K with it; he just recently sold it last week for $19,000 ............ try to do that with a Chinese Tractor! :-( ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-10-14          146955

Actually, I sold one of my Chinese tractors for exactly what I paid for it, and actually made money on another. What you need to be a Chinese tractor owner is an open mind, an above average mechanical aptitude, and a good metric tool set. (Competent dealer support is a good substitute if you're lacking in the last two). These are for the most part 50s and 60s technology machines, not too much on them you can't fix yourself. Try to do all of THAT with a blue/green/orange tractor.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
NorthernMainer

2007-10-14          146966

Greg,
I couldnt agree with you more about them actually being about 1950's technology! And it sounds like you have made more money on them, then everyone else I have talked to put togeather; so keep up the good work! As far as the extensive dealer network to back up any problems a potental owner may have, well I can only say, that up in this neck of the woods the few dealers that have them at this point; seem to be new at tractors, and have very little in the parts dept????? Anyway I am glad you are having good luck with them, and wish you the best in your Chinese Endevors............... I think I am going to stick with an American company, that is 160 years old,and has a million dollars worth of parts in inventory, that was selling and fixing them for my Grandfather 75 years ago at the same dealership!!! Good Luck to you. ;-( ....

View my Photos
Joellc

2008-07-18          155388

We've had a 1994 Shinniu tractor for the past 10 years or so. The only problems we've had with it have been due my having been so rough on it. Even so, it has been relatively easy to fix and Jim's Equipment at Gallipolis, Ohio has almost always had the parts we've needed. I'd love to have it new again. In fact we're looking for a used loader for it now. ....

View my Photos
NorthernMainer

2008-07-18          155391

Joel,
I am glad you are having great luck with the china tractor!
I do know of two loaders on Titan 435s cracking just ahead of the rear attach pin ????? And since my last post my friend that owns a 2006 model that has put 150 hrs on it has had to modify the backhoe attachment in a big way as he basically tore it right off the backend????? He then had a major leak in the left rear seal that was getting his brakes all wet and he had to tear that all apart and then couldnt get the part as they have changed it and told him it would have to be special ordered from CHINA! As there wasnt any in USA or CANADA!!!! He is a cleaver guy and milled the piece out to accept AMERICAN size seals and then did the other side and told me had about 30 hrs labor tied up in it.
His latest project is that the paint they used in 2006 has faded severly and the arms on the loader are so thin now that he is going to repaint them and to do it right and remove everything it is going to be another labor intensive job . The dealer told him that Titan will pay $200 to do the work!!! He took it to a body shop and they said it will cost $800 to strip them down and do it correctly. So he is going to buy good paint with the money and put another 30 hrs into that project but he says that should be the last time as he has a new idea ................ as soon as the paint drys he is going to buff out the cowling which is also very faded and he has bought a new FOR SALE sign and is going to attach it to the chinese tractor...............:-( ....

View my Photos
jeannie1

2011-01-22          176538

Is there anyplace in Southern Ca. where i can take my taskmaster trooper for repair? It was destroyed by my son using it like a buldozer. leaking oil etc. Thats not what i bought it for and would like it repaired. Jean ....

View my Photos
jeannie1

2011-01-22          176539

Where do you take yours for repair? ....

View my Photos
bluechip

2011-01-22          176542

Look for a good independent mechanic. We can usually help with parts for teh older tractors made by Dong Feng or DFAM, The newer Taskmasters were made by DFAM although over the years the name was applied to tractors from many chinese factories. ....

View my Photos
jeannie1

2011-01-23          176558

I am 70 years young and my husband died in Sept. Do you think i would have any idea where to find a good independent mechanic????? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2011-01-23          176559

Jeannie1,

I sure wish I lived a lot closer to you.....as I'd be very willing and eager to help you get your tractor fixed up again. Unfortunately, North Dakota is a bit far away.....from everything. LOL

Many tractor mechanics work part-time, on the side. Mechanics don't make a lot of money when working for the dealerships. Many of them work weekends, or late at night -- in their own shops, or garages, just to make ends meet.

If you ask around, you'll find many young mechanics who would be more than happy to help you get the ol' girl fixed up again, and at rates much lower than the dealerships charge.

Another option is to go to the local trade school. Donate your tractor to the school's mechanic program until they get it fixed up for you. You'll have to supply the parts and pay for any replacement fluids. You may also have to pay for a few shop supplies.

You'll have students working on your tractor. They aren't skilled mechanics......yet......but they have instructors and teachers who help them get through the project. Be prepared to be without your tractor for as long as it takes them to get it fixed up. It's a good deal for everyone involved.......if there is such a school near you.

I wish there was more I could do to help. Fixing tractors is a hobby that I truly enjoy.

Joel ....

View my Photos
jeannie1

2011-01-23          176562

oH I DON'T KNOW MAYBE I CAN USE A TRIP TO NORTH DAKOTA. BUT RIGHT NOW TRYING TO GET SOMEONE TO TELL ME JUST WHAT IT NEEDS. i CAN PAINT IT RED AGAIN. THE JERK LEFT IT OUTSIDE OF OUR BARN FOR 4 YEARS AND THE COLOR IS ALL FADED OUT. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-01-23          176564

Sorry about your tractor, husband and more so son.

If you will ask around or even use the yellow pages probably can find an independent mechanic. One of the best ways is just ask and ask those who have tractors. At same time you might find a true garage who does such work and with the smaller number of brands there are some good former dealerships who are now independent garages. At same time dealership might be higher on paper but can be less when repair is done as they should know it better going in. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login