Go Bottom Go Bottom

Oil change

View my Photos
hoggpops
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-25          159815

Need help, found a universal trans/hyd. fluid that is
10-20w, owners manual for the NT254 wants 30w in trans and iso 32 10w in hydraulic, can I use the universal in both boxes ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Oil change

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-25          159816

Always lots better to follow the owners manual. There has to be a reason they call for different fluids. Frank. ....

Oil change

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-25          159817

Doesn't sound smart to use a combo of one viscosity when the manual calls for two products, a dedicated gear oil and a dedicated hydraulic oil of another weight. (It's true that Yanmars use the combo, but I don't know how their gears or hydraulic components are designed differently. Their hydraulics won't work with straight hyd oil.)

It's probably OK to deviate from the manual if it doesn't accept multiweights only because it was written before multiweights came out. ....

Oil change

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-25          159822

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggpops | view 159815
Need help, found a universal trans/hyd. fluid that is 10-20w, owners manual for the NT254 wants 30w in trans and iso 32 10w in hydraulic, can I use the universal in both boxes ?
Do NOT use universal fluid anywhere on that tractor. UTF is for common sump tranctors. The Nortrac (Jinma) has separate sumps. UTF is typically too thin for Jinma gears in the summer, and is usually too thick for the hydraulics in the winter. For the transmission and differentials in cool to moderate climates I recommend a non-foaming 80W90 gear oil that's yellow metal friendly. For the hydraulics, I recommend AW32 hydraulic fluid. And that's hydraulic fluid - not machine oil or R&O fluid. In warm to hot climates you may want to consider 85W140 gear oil and AW46 or AW68 hydraulic fluid.

Most folks use diesel-formulated 15W40 in the engine. And if the engine is wet-sleeved, you should consider a SCA additive to the coolant. Or better, use a coolant that's already SCA formulated. I buy Fleet Charge 50/50 from WalMart.

//greg// ....

Oil change

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-26          159823

Greg: "Yellow metal" is that slang for Japanese/Chinese tractors? Haven't heard that term. ....

Oil change

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-01-26          159825

It's a generic phrase that includes brass/bronze/copper/etc. Many - not all - of these Chinese tractors incorporate yellow metals into their gear boxes, so it's best to err on the side of caution. I say this, because some gear oil formulations attack yellow metals, notably those with EP additives.

Until recently, that limited us to using API GL-1 or MT-1 rated gear oils, which were difficult to find in multi-viscosity blends. But some manufacturers have seen the light, and it's now possible to buy GL5 gear oils that are approved for MT1 applications. Matter of fact, I just bought 10 gallons of Coastal 85W140 that is rated GL5/MT1

//greg// ....

Oil change

View my Photos
hoggpops

2009-01-26          159831

Gregg, the owners man. says 30W, had a mechanic tell me that a non detergent 30 wt motor oil would be fine in the tranny box,,, your thoughts,,, the oil you spoke of is heavy is'nt it ???
I will keep looking for the right hydro oil for that system.
Thanks for your reply.
J.K. ....

Oil change

View my Photos
hoggpops

2009-01-26          159832

P.S.,, I am still trying to get myself "broke in" on these Chinese tractors,, I was born/raised on a farm in the panhandle of Tx,, we had JD-Case-Massys etc. so these tractors are greek (Chinese) to me. Thanks again. ....

Oil change

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-01-26          159842

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggpops | view 159831
Gregg, the owners man. says 30W, had a mechanic tell me that a non detergent 30 wt motor oil would be fine in the tranny box,,, your thoughts,,, the oil you spoke of is heavy is'nt it ???I will keep looking for the right hydro oil for that system.Thanks for your reply.J.K.
No. 80W90 gear oil has an average viscosity equivalency of 30W engine oil. Engine oil is formulated to be pumped through a hot environment. Gear oil is formulated to be splashed through considerably cooler conditions.

Clock on Viscosity Chart below. You'll see what I mean (hint: ISO and AW represent the same thing)

//greg// ....

Link:   Viscosity Chart

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login