Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mahindra Kioti Brason and Cub Cadet Comparison Review

View my Photos
Hambrospiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-10          154460

I too have been looking - researching my options for the purchase of a new more reliable tractor. It's what brought me to this site. Thanks to all for your participation.

My needs are to pull medium sized Pine stumps, 20"+/-. Pine Bark Beetle is wiping out our trees and I have more all the time in dry rocky soil. We would also like to dig a new cistern for irrigation, run underground power lines to out buildings, terracing and general landscaping, plow snow and maintain our 700ft driveway and just have something around that's ready to work when needed in sub-zero to 100+ F. temps.

The closest dealership in our area is Cub Cadet. Great people and service, I'd like to buy from them, but so far I'm not sure about their tractors. "Bulletproof" is all I've heard, but I'm not planning on using it for target practice. Unless of course I decide to buy one and it craps out on me.

I started out looking at Kubota and JD, mostly for their resale value. I decided against Kubota because I understand from owners I've talked with (who love their tractors) say it just takes too long to get parts and service. And (from what I've heard) John Deere parts are just too expensive period. Although they're not entirely out of the running.

Mahindra, Kioti, Brason and Cub Cadet are at the top of my current list, pretty much in that order. I'm thinking 4x4, something around 30hp with FEL and backhoe. Preferably priced in the low 20's. Reliability, ease of maintenance and efficiency are my priorities.

Any feedback, agreeing or disagreeing, experiences (good and bad) with specific models of any of the above mentioned tractor brands or info on other brands I might want to consider is appreciated, thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-10          154462

From my understanding most of the Mahindra are an older design from Mitsubusi. Cub Cadet marketed that design in the mid to late 90's and early 00's. I have one of those Cadets and have had no major problems. I felt it was a superior design at the time and still stand by that judgement.

I have had some local dealers of Mahindra's drop the line or complain about service parts and factory help.

The new Cub Cadet recently came out but being that it is a Yanmar design, it would appear to be trustworthy.

From my viewpoint, I would only consider major brands and tend to go with a local dealer that can give me service if needed. I have no experience with the other named brands but know that many of the people here have them. They may be able to enlighten you with their experiences. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-10          154464

You would need much more than a 30hp CUT to pull 20" stumps. A big, heavy CAT would do the job. Now if you want to dig them out a 30hp machine with a backhoe would do the job after a fashion. Is that what you had in mind? ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-10          154465

We had a friend out with a mini excavator, 12" bucket(?) He knew that machine like it was an extension of his arm and it still took him about 10 hrs to dig out 7 stumps. I should have put a pool in to the hole that was left.

We had another guy out who did some leveling and excavating for us. I'm guessing it was about a 70hp Case backhoe and he was pulling those trees out as fast as he could get to them. Boom, done.

I'm willing to give up a bit of time to dig out the stumps with a smaller machine, but don't what to make a career out of it. Perhaps renting a larger HP machine to get the job done is the way to go and just go with a 30ish for general use. I'd still like to have a backhoe for when I need it. ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-10          154466

Candoarms made a good point another post about parts availability - say 20 yrs down the line.

Kubota may be slow in getting parts to you, but at least they will be available. Kubota is our next closest dealership. I drive by and gawk everyday on my way to work.

They quoted me a price of 21K for a B7800 with HST loader and backhoe. Would the B3030 be better for my needs and if so, why? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-06-10          154467

Rather then staying in a large fine mowing chassis like the 7800-3030 chassis why not move up to the L-3400hydro chassis. The money is about the same and the added weight will be a plus! I don't back away from the Cadet/Yanmar tractors as far as quality as they did well for deere. As far as Kubota's parts, in the last couple of years they have made some change for the good. We have different ways to order as well as overnite! Just like Case-IH and the rest of the major companies in the industry! ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-10          154469

From what you've said, the L series sounds more suited to my needs. Since I only have about an acre or so of lawn to mow and many flower beds and trees to mow around a riding mower doesn't cut it(no pun intended). My little self propelled Honda does a fine job of handling that. I mainly need something to work in the woods with and to maintain our gravel driveway.

We already have a good relationship with the Cadet dealer as far as the purchases and servicing of some of our smaller equipment. I've only talked briefly with him about his new tractor line at the last Farm & Garden Show where they had a booth with a couple of the Cadet tractors set up. Looked like good machines at the time, but I wanted to do a little more research and comparison shopping before actually going in to see him.

Some of the reviews I read in tracorbynet.com were not favorable for the Cub Cadet and it turned me away early on. Same with one of the first Mahindra reviews I read, but it seems like you can find good and bad reviews on just about any machine out there.

All my dealings with other brands has been over the phone or internet. The Kubota owners I know (3) have all given high marks to the Kubota dealer in town. Their only complaints have been that it's sloooow, but it sounds like perhaps they've worked that out. From internet reviews, it sounds like they're getting too plastic, cheap and flimsy compared to their older machines, especially the B series. One of the reasons I went back to looking at the Mahindra, Kioti and Bransons. Now it sounds like I should seriously consider the Cub Cadet/Yanmar line again as well.

Feels like I've gone full circle...

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-06-10          154472

Oh no, the plastic vs. metal debate :(

I used to like metal, now I like plastic. Plastic doesn't dent or rust. Metal feels more substantial and you can always learn to enjoy doing bodywork.

Around here, working in the woods, the metal tractors always look beat up. ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-10          154473

That was my first thought. My old rusty 9N's looking pretty lumpy. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-10          154479

Hambrospiper,

Most people settle for a smaller machine, simply because they want to use it for mowing and other yard work, where a larger tractor would tear up the lawn.

Since you don't need your tractor for lawn work, you might want to with the Kubota L Series -- a much larger machine.

Parts aren't hard to come by. Kubota offers a huge line of parts. Most common items will be stocked by your local dealers, but nearly every part is available if you're willing to wait about a week.

Kubota is one of the few tractor manufacturers who design and build their own parts......and every part. Most other manufacturers contract with other companies to make their parts, and a whole lot of those contracts eventually expire, or the contracting manufacturers go belly up during the middle of a production run. This is big problem in the industry.....with the exception of Kubota. You'll be able to get parts for your Kubota for many, many years to come.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at tractors in the 40-50 horsepower range, such as the Kubota L4630.

I congratulate you for taking the time to research this, prior to buying a tractor. Far too many people join this site after they've purchased something, only to discover that they could have made a better choice.

Good luck, and happy tractor hunting. Shopping is more than half the fun!

Joel ....

View my Photos
bvance

2008-06-11          154485

Ditto Joel's and Art's remarks. You would be most happy with what you want to do with an L series. A heavier frame is critical to a lot of jobs you would want to do. My personal preference would also be a hydro.

Go for it and Git 'er Done!

Brian ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-11          154489

Last fall we had some a few acres woods logged. There were some pines, sweet gums and other hardwoods. I also had some pine stumps in a field that were cut at least 40 years ago and had turned into litewood or lightered or which ever local term you prefer. Our soil is on the sandy side about a foot or so down and then hits a hard pan for a few inches and then back towards a more sandy soil. The hard pan is really compressed sand type. In this soil I was digging pine roots on the old cut stumps as deep as 7 feet. On the pine trees recently cut (some over 2 feet) just started this past Friday trying to dig those out. Went down at least 5 foot. On stumps over a foot in diameter glad to inform you (had thumb on and will remove and go back for more digging. If you will be digging stumps or moving such you need a thumb.) those stumps are still solid and no fear of falling over. Massive root systems. At same time have taken out sweet gum stumps of at least 2 feet with slow steady effort and some other hardwoods that were harder due to stronger wood than the gum. This was done with a mini excavator of about 10,000 pounds. I am glad for every bit of the size it has and at times would be pleased for it to be twice its size. kt ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-11          154499

Thank you all for all the great insight. It's funny because Kubota was actually my first choice when I started seriously thinking about a new tractor. The people who I know who have them swear by them. I'd love to go bigger (40-50hp) but it's outside my budget unless I'm able to find something used. For a new tractor I'm going to have to stay around 30 hp or in the low to mid $20K market.

Our local Kubota dealer has been a family run tractor business in this town since the 30's. Selling Kubotas for I think the last 20 yrs. Another important factor when deciding which brand to go with. Even though I like the folks at the nearest dealership and somehow feel as though I'd be betraying them, The Cub Cadet people have only been dealing tractors since earlier this year.

They're mostly riding lawn mowers, chainsaws, pressure washers, snowblowers and other small engine equipment. I'm sure they're very knowledgeable and know their tractors, but I'm not sure the tractors have proven themselves yet.

With diesel closing in on $5 a gal I'm thinking the lower hp and less overall weight will also use less fuel, but I'm not sure, it's probably not that much different. I haven't been able to find any information comparing fuel consumption between models. Does anyone know where I might find any?

My brother-in-law is buying a John Deere and was hoping I'd go in with him for some sort of package deal by buying two at the same time. He's said with certain Kubota models parts made in Russia are for some reason (he wasn't clear on) not being allowed into this country and that it was next to impossible to get the parts or it takes forever. I think he just likes the JD hat and jacket better, "American as apple pie" and all that, even though most of the parts are made overseas. Is anything new out there American anymore? From what I've heard, JD parts are way more expensive than anyone else. For that price they should be made in the USA. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-06-11          154518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambrospiper | view 154499
My brother-in-law is buying a John Deere and was hoping I'd go in with him for some sort of package deal by buying two at the same time.He's said with certain Kubota models parts made in Russia are for some reason (he wasn't clear on) not being allowed into this country and that it was next to impossible to get the parts or it takes forever.I think he just likes the JD hat and jacket better, "American as apple pie" and all that, even though most of the parts are made overseas.Is anything new out there American anymore?From what I've heard, JD parts are way more expensive than anyone else.For that price they should be made in the USA.

I suppose his deere's are all built here in the US? I don't know of any parts on a Kubota that are made in Russia, statements like that normally come from inexperienced or just low end sales personnel. I'd be looking for a different deere dealer that might give out correct information. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-12          154531

Hambrospiper,

I'm with Art White on this one. I'm not aware of ANY Kubota parts being manufactured in Russia.

Kubota Manufacturing USA (KMA) recently added a 4th manufacturing plant (HUGE PLANT) in Georgia, USA, where all of Kubota's loaders, BX tractors, Backhoes, and Utility Vehicles are produced. Three plants are located near Gainesville, Georgia. This forth plant is located 25 miles south of there -- a bit closer to Atlanta.

Kubota's tractor manufacturing plants are located in Torrance, California, which is also where Kubota Credit of America is located.

In Lincolnshire, IL, USA, Kubota has a HUGE North American engine manufacturing plant. More than 200 companies purchase engines from Kubota for use in their equipment items. BobCat skid-steer tractors have Kubota engines.......but the recent purchase of BobCat by a Korean company (Doosan), may soon change that.

There's a bit of information on Kubota tractors for you.

Most of Kubota's parts are still manufactured in Japan, but the North American market is growing, and American workers are being employed to build those orange tractors, right here in the U.S.

As a side note.......both John Deere and Cub Cadet / Yanmar also have huge manufacturing facilities in Georgia, USA.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-12          154535

Many of the plants in Georgia are due to the port of Savannah where the I thought mostly completed tractors came in to have last parts bolted on. I did not realize they "made them there." There are also heavy equipement assembly plants there. kt

Art, is it possible the sales person was talking about trying to get parts for grey market tractor? ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-12          154537

Sorry for the misunderstanding - it was my brother-in-law who was talking about the Russian parts, not the JD salesperson. I'm not sure where he (bro-in-law) heard/read/dreamt that one up. Thanks for clearing it up. I thought it sounded a bit off. He's still trying to convince me to go "green" though. The 3520 in particular.

My wife thinks that bees will be attracted to the new CC Yanmar tractors, because of the color yellow. I said it doesn't matter what color your tractor is, if you run over a hive you're gonna get stung! Still an interesting observation and she's probably right. FWIW don't ever buy a yellow tent! ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-06-12          154539

I used to have an apiary. (Wasn't addicted to honey, but enjoyed mentioning that I owned 100,000 head of livestock.) My bees didn't care what color I was wearing -- without the smoker, if they felt like stinging they'd sting.

Whatever you get, ensure the loader and hoe are designed for that model, mounted, and working. These are not DIY attachments. Make sure the hoe will dig as deep as you need. I think you'd want "ag" tire tread, with liquid in the rears. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-12          154543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambrospiper | view 154537
Sorry for the misunderstanding - it was my brother-in-law who was talking about the Russian parts, not the JD salesperson.I'm not sure where he (bro-in-law) heard/read/dreamt that one up.Thanks for clearing it up.I thought it sounded a bit off.He's still trying to convince me to go "green" though. The 3520 in particular.My wife thinks that bees will be attracted to the new CC Yanmar tractors, because of the color yellow.I said it doesn't matter what color your tractor is, if you run over a hive you're gonna get stung!Still an interesting observation and she's probably right.FWIW don't ever buy a yellow tent!

Sometimes a hot engine will draw wasp away from you. Sometimes you are the first thing they find. I have learned to keep a can of spray on excavator.

Hambrospiper...just wondering is your last name Ham, have brothers who have a Piper? kt

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-12          154545

I was hoping to have a quick release loader, but then again, why? Unless I buy something else to put on the front the loader will always be on there. Other than some blown seals my 9N still runs good for plow and backblade work. It just doesn't have the power or stability I need for working in the woods.

Good idea keeping the spray handy. Think I'll find a small can for the toolbox. Around here it seems the bees like the hot metal. I'm always finding nests up under the hood and fenders. Glad I'm not allergic.

A Piper would be nice, but no, and the name's not Ham either. Just a lack of creativity on my part. Hambrospiper was a name my wife came up with for a pet Magpie she had and I needed a name with more than 8 characters to register - it was the first thing that came to mind. "MrHappyClownPants" was taken :) So there ya have it. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-06-12          154546

My quick-release loader's never been off, but the quick-release hose couplings make replacing a worn hose easy. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-06-12          154552

I use my quick change loader all the time.

The pallet forks are on about 90 percent of the time. The bucket only goes on when a scoop is needed.

I wouldn't own a tractor any more that didn't have a quick change feature. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-13          154560

On your name, both bring smiles.

I suspect you are thinking you will continue to use your 9N when you buy new more than you will. The steering and brakes improvement will be enough you will find less and less desire to use the 9N. And if you have the carb trouble my family did with those another reason. Not throwing off on them. kt ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-13          154571

Yeah, brakes are definitely an issue on the 9n. Practically have to stand on 'em. Steering is like rid'n a drunk bull. Fun for a while, but gets old fast. Just one of many things to go through on that old bugger. Someday if I ever find the time, I would like to restore it back to it's original glory, but in the mean time I'm in need of something that will get the jobs done.

For just going up and down the driveway the 9N is fine, but like you said, it'll be hard to go back to once I get used to something that actually does what it's suppose to.

I stopped by the CubCadet/Yanmar dealer last night on my way home and checked out the Ex 3200 while picking up a Stihl FS130 trimmer (early Dad's day). The Ex with FEL and backhoe was $26,700. The loader was not considered a quick release, but only needed a couple of bolts removed to get it off. Supposedly the same for the backhoe.

I had a meeting to get to and was pressed for time, so didn't get to test drive or check it out very thoroughly. Thinking about going back tonight. Any suggestions as to what to look for or questions to ask? The zero % financing through Kubota is a better deal as far as that goes, but he said he'd work with me on that. Sounds like they're really wanting to (or more likely NEED to) move some tractors.

Problem with the Ex 3200 was that it seemed like what little I know about the tractor was more then the sales guy knew just from the little bit of research on line I've done and info I've picked up through this forum (Thanks BTW!).

They know their chainsaws and lawn equipment, but like I said earlier, their history with these tractors is brief which is not all that reassuring to me. I don't particularly like to hear "I don't know" when asking a question regarding a $30K purchase. As much as I like the folks there, I may be stopping by Kubota instead. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-06-13          154580

Ask your dealer just one question: Is this Cub cadet tractor made in Japan by Yanmar?

If he answers yes buy with confidence (assuming it also has all the features you want).

Yanmar used to make all the smaller Deere tractors. They are as bullet-proof as you can get. ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-13          154586

We (the Cub Dealer & I) were talking about Mahindras being made in India and he started talking about how Yanmars are made in Japan and it being a well respected company that's been around forever. When I mentioned the new factory in GA where they were assembled he wasn't aware of it. Perhaps he was, he just wanted me to believe the entire tractor was produced and assembled in Japan rather than just the engine. How much of the tractor is actually Yanmar? Is it just the engine?

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-13          154590

Recent quote for a John Deere - the 3005 tractor, 300CX loader, and the 7 backhoe, ballast in the tires and the installation of the backhoe, the total price $20,300 plus tax.

Do you think this will be enough tractor for my needs? I like the price compared to the CC/Yanmar. Other quotes to come. ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-13          154591

the price of a Mahindra 4530(45HP)with loader is $22595.00. a Woods model BH90-X backhoe with a 16 inch bucket is $8699.00. A bit outside my budget. ....

View my Photos
Hambrospiper

2008-06-13          154592

The Branson 3510i (35 HP)with loader, deluxe seat, tires of your choice and block heaters for $20,000 Delivered with a full tank of fuel. Backhoe is probably another 7K. Roughly the same price as the CubCadet/Yanmar.

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-14          154606

Hambrospiper,

I did a little research on this topic a while back. In fact, there's a very long discussion pertaining to the Cub Cadet / Yanmar tractors on this board.

Yanmar makes every part that goes into the new CC/Yanmar tractors. Most parts come from the factory in Osaka, Japan.

All CC/Yanmar tractors sold here in the U.S. are assembled by American workers in Adairsville, Georgia. (About halfway between Atlanta, GA and Chattanooga, TN.) This is also where the main U.S. parts inventory is located.

In addition to the new tractor assembly plant, Yanmar is also building its engines in a building right next door. They plan to build 100,000 new engines for the U.S. market this year.

See the link below.......

Joel

Link:   Yanmar opens new 240,000 sq. ft. plant in Georgia, USA

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login