Go Bottom Go Bottom

Group knowledge on Challenger

View my Photos
banton
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-05          149889

I love the fact that I could have someone from CAT service a tractor. The new MT series seems quite good. I am looking at the MT 265B model, and would like to hear from others what the OTD price is for the unit with FEL. I live in Western Washington, and the 4 Cat dealers here don't have any-they told me that they sell well in Eastern Washington..

Any knowledge on this or other compact models?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-05          149891

Banton,

The Caterpillar MT265B tractor has a 26 horsepower PTO rating, and appears to be a nice machine. However, I see that it comes with a gear transmission only....8 forward and 8 reverse.....with no hydrostatic transmission option available.

After owning several gear tractors, I finally decided to go with a hydrostatic transmission in my most recent Kubota......and I'm glad I did. I'll never go back to gears again.

For loader work, where you have one hand on the loader joystick and the other on the steering wheel, shifting gears becomes a very awkward and time-consuming operation. I've easily doubled my productivity with the hydro transmission, as I can now operate the loader without ever once taking my hand off of the loader controls, while being able to back up and go ahead with just slight pressure of my foot on the hydro pedals.

I just returned from the Bobcat dealer today. The new Bobcat tractors (CT225 and CT230) are very nice, and offer hydro transmissions on all models.

You might want to also check into the new models offered by Cub Cadet, such as the Ex3200. It's not only a beautiful machine.....it's very powerful for its size.....and it comes with a hydrostatic transmission.

Before deciding on tractor, please drive one of each....gears and hydro.

I truly believe you'll find the hydrostatic transmission to be very valuable and much more useful to you than the gear models.

Joel ....

View my Photos
banton

2008-01-05          149894

Joel-

I did not realize that the MT265B was a gear machine. I do want an HST.

I have seen the Cub/Yanmar 3200 yesterday and love it. Lots of hp and a smaller footprint, as we talked on the Kubota question that I had on another thread. Unfortunately, there are no financing deals yet with Cub/Yanmar.

Would this be as small as your Kubota rig? Would it still have traction for grading, box and slight hills with turf tires?

Regards,

Bill ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-05          149896

Banton,

I can't complain about the traction my little Kubota offers me, but I am limited in the size of the implements I can pull, mostly due to the turf tires. If I had ag tires on my little tractor, the traction would increase quite a bit when plowing, or cultivating.

The Cub Cadet Ex3200 is much heavier than my Kubota B2100. The Ex3200 will offer much better traction, simply because of the increase in weight. And, of course, the Ex3200 also has 4-wheel drive (designated as MFD or MFWD), which increases traction tremendously, especially when working with a loader.

If you plan to use a loader a lot, you shouldn't think twice about whether or not to get 4-wheel drive.....GET IT. You'll be sorry if you decide to save some money in this area. 4-wheel drive is a "must have" item.

There are many tractors in the size you're looking for that will fill the bill. My experience is limited, in that I've never owned a John Deere, New Holland, or Case IH, but these companies make great tractors as well.

You might look at one of the mid-sized Case IH tractors, or even the new Bobcat CT230 (0% for three years)....along with the Kubota B7800, or B3030. Any of these tractors would suit your needs quite well, I believe.

Joel

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-01-05          149901

Banton; This is not personal experience only hear say from a disgruntled Cat Challenger tracked farm tractor owner. While visiting at the parts counter of JD dealer, (a man I did not know), this fellow said he was going to trade his Challenger off soon as possible, I asked why. His statement was that their parts were the most expensive he knew of and any service after five o'clock on Friday was zero. Only one man's opinion, I've never talked to another Challenger owner. Frank. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-01-05          149903

Banton; Just another added thought, I know I'm vastly outnumbered on this here, but don't walk away from a tractor you like just because it is a gear drive. I'm on my third Deere compact all with the power reverser gear drive. If I traded tomorrow it would be another power reverser without question. The loader speed with hydro comared to power shuttle shift is not twice as fast, maybe a little faster, but far from enough to pay for the difference in cost of the tractor. Just my opinion. frank. ....

View my Photos
banton

2008-01-05          149904

Thanks, Hardwood

The reason for the HST is because my wife will be using this when I am out of town or out of the country. She can barely drive a car-this should be fun!!

I would have no problem with a gear, but as I get comfortable in life, the HST appeals to me, as well.

In the immortal words of my father.."My idea of roughing it is no room service after 10 PM."

Regards,

Bill ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-01-05          149905

Frank,

I've never owned a tractor with a power reverser, so my comments may have been incorrect in some ways. I stand corrected.

However, that said, I don't believe the Cat MT265B offers a power reverser. It appears to be nothing more than plain-jane gears.

QUESTION....without the power reverser option, would you still go with gears over a hydro?

Joel ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-01-05          149912

Cando; I'm not sure. I'd have to drive both then tell you. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-05          149914

CAT came out with the Challenger line and then sold them to AGCO is my understanding. Have no idea if this same tractor is out there with another label or not. kt ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-01-07          149978

Ken, they were first with AGCO and then marketed by Cat. The same tractors are still available with AGCO just a bit different with the color. ....

View my Photos
kevanos

2008-04-04          152739

The Cat MT265 is made in Japan by Iseki, which also mfg. tractors for Massey Ferguson and AGCO, and previously for White and Bolens. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login