Go Bottom Go Bottom

8122 Gravely

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-06          151122

I purchased an 8122 Gravely garden tractor about 1985 and I still love the beast. Its not the best mowing unit by todays standards. The turning radius is not tight, the blade speed is slow, and the 50 inch mower deck is just starting to rust through. But I use it for rough stuff to save the wear and tear on my JD LT190.

I had done some brush hogging for a neighbor with my CUT. When the grass got real long again I just drove my Gravely over to mow it. My neighbor was kind of embarrassed since he would never think of taking his Craftsman out to mow the heavy stuff. Sticks and stones just can't hurt the Gravely.

I put a new piston in the Gravely last year and the old cast iron K301S Kohler still runs like a top. I love to drive this thing even though its an old beast. I put a 2" ball hitch on it and pull my full size 5x8 utility trailer around the yard like a garden cart. And its also great for pulling a weighted core aerator around the yard.

I think this old machine just may outlast me!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

8122 Gravely

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-06          151126

Crunch, although I don't remember the specifics I recall reading a blurb about increasing the blade speed on those older commercial units.

Those big Kohlers don't even flinch at the slightly increased load and it makes them cut a LOT nicer.

I seem to recall it was just basically a pulley swap.

Best of luck. ....

8122 Gravely

View my Photos
randywatson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-06          151138

Dont remember what mod it was but back when I was a kid, I worked in the summer pruning christmas trees, the old man who owned the plantation owned and operated a front cut graveley, he took that thing up and down grades that I suspect were 30 percent or better, ran chains on it year round.

he had broken his back turning over one tractor, so it always amazed me what he's still do on that gravely

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login