Go Bottom Go Bottom

Nortrac NT-254 rear seal blown

View my Photos
Tangible
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-19          143884

I recently purchased a used NorTrac NT-254 four wheel drive tractor. It just started leaking oil around the flywheel housing, it comes out at a slow trickle. I am assuming it must be the rear seal in the engine, if this isn't the case, I shudder to think what else it might be. However, at the moment, my problem is finding anyone that will touch an engine with a name like Xin Xing.
I live near New Martinsville West Virginia. I have called just about every tractor shop I know and they don't want to repair the tractor. Can anyone help me find a local repair shop?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-20          143885

Tangible,

The good folks at Northern Tool might be able to help you. Give them a call. They may have a list of associated dealers and service centers who will help resolve your problem.

Northern Tool has stores in Virginia, but none in West Virginia.

I'm not sure that I'm allowed to post a phone number here. You can reach Northern Tool by phone, toll free. Their phone number can be found at the following website.

Let me know if this information helps, will you?

I wish you the best.

Joel ....

Link:   Northern Tool -- NorTrac Tractor Sales and Support

View my Photos
RanchHand

2007-07-20          143887

I don't know of any one in your area... sorry.

Some of the tractor shops decline due to they don't know where to get the parts.

We work on all the re labeled Jinmas etc.

We had a guy come down this week from TN.

If I can help you let me know.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply
Chesapeake VA.

Link:   Tractor Repair

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-20          143888

Is it actually wet around the circumference of the bellhousing where it bolts to the engine block? or is it just collecting and dripping off the bottom. Cuz if the circumference isn't wet, it might just be the weep hole doing it's job. Assuming you don't have a front loader, there are vented inspection plates on either side of the bellhousing. Water can get in there, especially if you use a power washer. Heating in the day and cooling overnight can also cause condensation inside the bellhousing's comparatively large airspace as well.

The weep hole is there to permit accumulated moisture to drain out (which is also why keeping it open should be put on your maintenance schedule). It can LOOK like oil, cuz it will be mixed with clutch dust and dirt. If it doesn't turn out to be dirty water, you could also be looking at gear oil. There's a mid-connect housing attached to the backside of the bellhousing, typically containing either the creeper gears or shuttle shift.

So the very first thing you need to do is identify just WHAT it is that's leaking out; dirty water, engine oil, gear oil.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Tangible

2007-07-20          143909

Thank you all for good advice.
I know it is indeed engine oil leaking at the rate of about a quart every ten minutes.
I have talked with Northern Tool and they are very helpful with everything EXCEPT local repairs.
It is beginning to look like a trip to Virginia is the way to go... whether to Chesapeake or Salem. Salem is the closest NorTrac affiliate.

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-20          143911

Tangible,

How far are you going to have to travel in order get your tractor fixed? If it isn't too far to Salem, you might be better off putting it on a trailer.

If you're going to have to haul it a long way, maybe you can find a local repair shop who will tackle the project, so long as you can assure them that they can get the parts they need through Northern Tool.

I would contact your local tractor dealer and ask them if they wouldn't give Northern Tool a jingle. Once they speak to the parts department at Northern Tool, they may decide to take on the project.

Rather than a lack of parts, I'm thinking your local tractor shop won't touch the project due to a lack of technical manuals.....ie, torque specs, assembly diagrams, etc. If Northern Tool can supply you with these important books, along with the parts, I'll bet you could get it fixed locally.

If you can order these books and data sheets from Northern Tool, it will be well worth your investment. Let your local repair shop use them, but then make sure you get them back in one piece.

Give it a shot. You might be surprised how willing some people are to help, if only they can get all the information and parts they need to accomplish the job.

Depending on your skill level, shop tools, and experience with mechanical devices.........once you receive the manuals and the spec sheets, you might find that this repair is something you can handle on your own, with a little help from a friend, neighbor, or a family member.....or all three!

Joel ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2007-08-10          144581

I know this is an old thread. Unfortuantely this is an indication of a problem that we have seen on a few tractors with Yangdong engines. You may find that the bolts that bolt the front (engine) half of the bell housing to the engine are loose. This allows the engineand bellhousing (which contains the rear seal) to separate at the bottom, if you can get teh blade of a pocket knife betweent he engine and bellhousing, you have this condition. To get to the bolts you have to split the tractor, remove the clutch and flywheel. We have sold dozens of these engines and only had 2 or 3 of these in our shop with this condition. Seems to be on older tractors. What year is your NT254 made? ....

View my Photos
n9911c

2007-10-02          146471

Chipuren,
What causes the flywheel housing bolts to loosen up from the block? Not tightened at the factory correctly? I just bought a Farm Pro 2425 with that condition. Do you apply loctite when you repair this condition?
Thanks,
Tony ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2007-10-03          146494

On the first one we saw with this condition, there were flat washers under the lock washers. I think with diesel vibration combined with loader stresses, the bolts were able to work loose. We remove the flat washers and use good lock washers, along with locktite. you don't want that coming loose again. This assembly is shipped complete to the tractor factories from the Yangdong factory.
I suggest whenever doing a clutch job on one of these tractors to remove the flywheel and check these bolts. ....

View my Photos
n9911c

2007-10-03          146500

Thanks Chip. I got the housing off and all the bolts were loose-backed off. The flywheel was rubbing on one too. There wasn't any sign of a gasket at all, just signs of silicone. There is only 100 hours on this 2003 tractor. All the threaded holes look good thank God. :) ....

View my Photos
justforfun

2007-10-16          147017

I am just putting mine back together right now. This is the second time I've had to split the tractor and tighten the bolts. First time at 50 hours and again at 93 hours. Not an easy job to do. ....

View my Photos
n9911c

2007-10-16          147020

How did you go about doing the job? Did you use loctite? Remove the flat washers? I'll be putting mine back together soon when the crank shaft comes in and only want to do it once.
thanks,
Tony ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2007-10-16          147023

Should be a one time repair. use locktite and good lock washers, make sure the bolts are long enough...usually are when the flat washers (if present) are removed. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login