Go Bottom Go Bottom

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
magicheater
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-05          171340

I see the new Boomer 8N has a CVT tranny. These are normally found on larger tractors. Any input on this subject? I am presuming this is in place of an HST.

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-05          171351

I Just read up a bit on the new 8N and yes it looks like the CVT is the only transmission available.
I think most all the makers of high HP farm tractors offer the CVT as an option.
The only ones I'm a bit famillar with are the Deere. I have test driven a 7XXX series with the CVT. I know they are an extra cost option and a quite high dollar option so I do find it interesting that the new 8N is using it.
The basic operating principles of a CVT are really quite simple, but for some reason they charge a lot for simple. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
magicheater

2010-06-05          171356

Funny you should mention Deere, they do the same thing w/H.P.
the 4120, 4320, 4520, and the 4720 all have the same engine displacement, 3pt lift capacity and hydraulic pump specs but the only difference is the software to up the H.P. Go figure!
Pretty expensive in my opinion. I will have to drive one of those Boomer 8N's and maybe I will switch from Kubota. Not too fond of the loader and that may be a deal breaker for me. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-10          175661

I know this is an old topic, but I've been all over the internet looking for feedback from owners of the new Boomer 8n, wondering how they like it. So far......nothing.

Does anyone here own one of the new Boomer 8Ns? Care to share your thoughts? I'm interested.

Even if nobody here owns one, I'm wondering if any of our members has heard anything, good or bad.

Thanks

Joel ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-11          175663

When I was at the introduction of the 8n tractors one of the things brought up by many dealers was the premium price tag.

When I get something that is a collectors type piece I wouldn't want to have to use it but to park it away. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-11          175664

Art White,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been to youtube, tractorhouse, ironsearch, equipment locator, and even compact tractor review.......nothing.

I found one Boomer 8N with 100 hours on it. The paint on the loader bucket is barely scratched. Seems that folks aren't using this thing for anything but window dressing.

My local New Holland dealer has two of them sitting on his lot. Both have been there for over a year. He took one of them off the lot to run in the city parade last summer. I guess the driver (implement dealer employee) complained about it, saying that the tractor "drives goofy". I didn't get a chance to speak directly with the driver, so I have no idea what he meant by that.

And yes.......the price is going to prevent a number of people from even considering one.

I was just curious. If you hear anything, I'm interested.

Thanks again.

Joel ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-12-11          175666

My dealer had one sitting next to a 40-hp range model--one size up from my TC33D. From what I could tell by appearances and by rummaging through parts diagrams it got a whole lot of new parts, bujt is basically a 40-something hp machine. The seat is kinda cool though--it's a red urethane---thick, like 4 inches thick, but with breathing holes like its much thinner stamped brother of yore. And there's a chrome plated ROPS as optional too. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-11          175673

I've never saw one in the flesh, just pictures, guess I'd forgotten about them. I'm not in the market, but just curious what premium cost is over a like size and like equiped compact.
Frank. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-11          175677

Frank,

My local dealer is asking $38,500 for the tractor and loader.

Joel ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
treeman

2010-12-11          175678

Does the 8N have a mid PTO for a mid mower? ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-11          175681

Treeman,

There is no mid PTO, and no option available for it. It comes with a foldable ROPS, cruise control, and a telescoping set of lower lift arms.

Nothing that could be considered as being a deluxe package.

Joel ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-11          175682

Treeman,

I take that back.........

The Boomer 8N has somewhat of a deluxe package as far as the transmission controls are concerned.

It has three speed ranges....low, medium, high....and there are a set of controls which allow the operator to select the speed at which the tractor accelerates and decelerates.

It also has an anti-stall function.

Joel

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
treeman

2010-12-11          175684

The specs on this site say the mid pto is optional and I saw one for sale on the internet that said it had mid pto. ....

Link:   NH 8N specs

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
treeman

2010-12-12          175685

It seems you can get mid pto. Maybe a red 96" mid mower? ....

Link:   boomer 8n factory specs

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-12          175705

Wow, a 96 inch mid mower. A mid mower that wide would have to be a flex like a reat batwing to do a decent job. 60 inch is about upper the limit with a mid mount to do a front yard type job.
Our original conventional riders wre 48 inch decks, we traded for bigger riders with 54 inch decks, they get more done and still do a good level job.
I've had a seven ft. rear mount finish mower for a long time, a good machine but not front yard cut quality. Just too wide unless your yard is pool table flat, ours isn't. I do road ditches and grassed field warterways with it.
Frank. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-12          175706

I was at the New Holland site looking for implements for the new Boomer 8N, but didn't see anything that could be run from a mid-mount PTO. They show a loader, backhoe, rear finish mower, rotary mower, and a snowblower......all rear mounted.

I agree with Frank. 60" is about as wide as I'd go with a mid-mount mower deck. Anything wider will leave a rough, unfinshed appearance.

Maybe the mid-PTO is a new option. I don't believe it was available on this model to begin with.

Joel

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
GBSoren

2010-12-13          175734

I bought an 8N Boomer a couple weeks ago, really got a chance to use it yesterday, cleanup after our blizzard. You should be able to get one for about 32K, tractor and loader. Actually I love it, I think the CVT is a breeze to run. It's great for blowing snow, you can just creep along if you have footing. You are right it's hard to find any comments about them from actual owners, mostly just people saying they are over priced.....isn't everything? Compare to a comparably equipped Deere, about the same $.....but this looks soooo much cooler IMO! ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
cutter

2010-12-13          175757

I have had one 7' MM deck and it was on my Boomer. That was the best deck I have ever owned and mowed flatter and did less "digging in" with the caster wheels that the Kubota deck. The 6' I had on the JD was the worst IMHO. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
treeman

2010-12-13          175758

I also am very happy with my 72" NH MM deck. Except for some push mower work around the trees, propane tank, clothes line posts, and next to the house, I use the NH. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-14          175765

How many blades were used on an 84 inch deck? Was that a Ford/NH attachment, or an aftermarket mower?

A bit of a similar experience quite a while back. I got hold of a "B" Farmall with a Woods belly mower to cut road ditches and field borders, waterways, etc. I don't remember how wide the cut was or how many blades, but it was wider than the "B" had power enough for unless you mowed real often. It was quite a clumbsy affair and not having a live PTO in the B made things awkward to shift to reverse, etc. It was great for the times, but things are better now.
Frank. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
spsteve

2010-12-27          175981

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 175681
Treeman,There is no mid PTO, and no option available for it.It comes with a foldable ROPS, cruise control, and a telescoping set of lower lift arms.Nothing that could be considered as being a deluxe package.Joel

You can put a belly mower on one of these 8N's. The mid PTO is there but it's an option to get it to work.

Am I correct GB?

I have one, use it and like it.

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
GBSoren

2010-12-27          175985

I guess I can't say, I have a big zero turn and a 72" three point mower so I really don't need mid mount pto. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
spsteve

2010-12-27          175986

GB

I don't have the mid PTO option either. The assembly with the shaft cover on it is under my tractor but it is not active. I was told that there are more parts that need to be added to get it to turn. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
Blondie

2011-01-04          176197

I bought a 2010 Boomer 3050 with the CVT (HST is no longer used)and there are precious few user comments on the internet. It's transmission is identical to the CVT used in the 8N. You can shift between forward and reverse on the fly and the tractor will slow down and execute. What I don't like is the computer deciding to protect the tractor and shifting on its own into neutral when it senses "excessive drive line torque". That has happened to me going up a hill and the dealer's only "fix" is to have the tractor in cruise. No cruise set, be ready to hit the brake or go for a backward ride.

Also, I'm 5'8" and the seat just can't be moved forward enough or lowered enough for me to solidly hit the brake pedals. The park brake will indicate that it's set when it really isn't so best to pump the pedal as you set the brake but I've learned NOT to park on an incline.

Unlike a geared transmission, the CVT will ALWAYS automatically go into neutral when the engine is off as it is totally hydraulic. So you can't get any transmission help in holding the tractor in place.

The Operator's Manual was just revised as part of a software upgrade but it still is rather lame beyond identifying the controls, lubrication schedule, and specs. The dealer is THE source of tips and fixes for you as you can't contact New Holland directly. It comes with a full 2 year warranty and it's a very liberal one but does not include transportation charges to/from the dealer. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
spsteve

2011-01-04          176203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie | view 176197
I bought a 2010 Boomer 3050 with the CVT (HST is no longer used)and there are precious few user comments on the internet.It's transmission is identical to the CVT used in the 8N.You can shift between forward and reverse on the fly and the tractor will slow down and execute.What I don't like is the computer deciding to protect the tractor and shifting on its own into neutral when it senses "excessive drive line torque".That has happened to me going up a hill and the dealer's only "fix" is to have the tractor in cruise.No cruise set, be ready to hit the brake or go for a backward ride.Also, I'm 5'8" and the seat just can't be moved forward enough or lowered enough for me to solidly hit the brake pedals.The park brake will indicate that it's set when it really isn't so best to pump the pedal as you set the brake but I've learned NOT to park on an incline.Unlike a geared transmission, the CVT will ALWAYS automatically go into neutral when the engine is off as it is totally hydraulic.So you can't get any transmission help in holding the tractor in place.The Operator's Manual was just revised as part of a software upgrade but it still is rather lame beyond identifying the controls, lubrication schedule, and specs.The dealer is THE source of tips and fixes for you as you can't contact New Holland directly.It comes with a full 2 year warranty and it's a very liberal one but does not include transportation charges to/from the dealer.

Excessive drive line torque?

You mean like when I put the bucket up against a really big boulder and just tried to 'push' it?

Suddenly your tractor won't move either way! What to do?

Probably try not to get into that situation now that we know what will happen.

I have never done it on a hill yet....

We had a little discussion about this on the tractorbynet board. Not the part about the CVT tractor 'refusing to comply' but about the lack of and need for an anchor.

I did get the boulder to move but I had to 'rock' it as I was pushing....

They are using these CVT's on real AG tractors.

I can't believe there is no 'park' or 'leaving it in gear'. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
Blondie

2011-01-04          176211

Believe me; never trust the park brake light....it lies and the next thing you know the tractor starts drifting!

I experienced the jumping into neutral several times while mowing up hills. No, the shift shuttle stays where you had it, but the computer orders neutral. Had the dealer's shop foreman come out and it happened to him too.

In the new Operator's Manual, which you get with the free software upgrade they just put out, you now get 2 digital word warnings: RP meaning Release Pedal (accelerator) as it defaulted to neutral, and Neutral meaning it defaulted to neutral. The RP supposedly would occur only if you rapidly shifted between Forward and Reverse. That was so bogus that they deleted that explanation from the new Operator's Manual. I found that RP could occur if you lost steam going up an incline!

The new book mentions that the transmission has a built in "hill holder valve" that works so long as the shift shuttle is in forward or reverse. I'll see after they do the program upgrade whether that so called valve will now do something. I suspect it will still be overridden by the computer putting the transmission in neutral when there is "excessive drive line torque", whatever that is!

Each time I had a 6' toothed bucket on the front, alcohol filled rear Industrials, and was also using a 6' rotary. Guess the cruise control is so sensitive that it is the ONLY way to keep up RPMs when going up a hill. Without cruise on, it WILL give you a real thrill as you start to go backwards down the hill while trying to hit the brakes.

I haven't pushed a boulder or a stump, but with the tooth bar on the bucket she's a super digger and the anti-stall does work great. Just watch your reactivity when you're near a creek bank. When you set reactivity to be slow for acceleration, IT'S EQUALLY SLOW FOR DECELERATION! ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
spsteve

2011-01-04          176212

Mash the pedal down and pull up on the brake at the same time.

My tractor holds just fine on a hill as long as you don't forget to put it in neutral but pull up the brake before jumping off (even just enough to make the light come on and satisfy the computer). The seat safety switch kills the tractor when you are 3 steps away (also beeps) and look out below!

I think they need to make that valve 'normally closed' and only open when the engine is running..... Kind of like air brakes. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-01-04          176213

My NH skid steer has an automatically actuated parking brake. I found out the hard way how quickly it sets. It is spring-actuated/hydraulically released. If the seat switch or ignition loses contact or is turned off--a spring IMMEDIATELY sets the brake. Well, the wire broke at the seat switch and I'm travelling at top speed (14 MPH) and all of sudden it sets throwing me out of the seat and my face plastered up against the cab door window. (Yes, I was not using a seat belt) ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
Blondie

2011-01-05          176226

Completely agree with you, Steve, that the valve should have been engineered to function like air brakes. Sure would be a whole lot safer.

Also wish they had not put the park brake switch on the hand lever. My light will show the brake is set if I just pull the lever without touching the brake pedals, but it sure isn't set and will easily roll. I'm 5' 7" and, because of the seat's kill switch, I have a hard time sufficiently mashing down the pedals while pulling up the park brake lever. Guess the trick for someone my size is to apply the brakes as best as I can while moving the shift shuttle into neutral to avoid a seat caused stall, then move on up and mash the brake pedals while pulling the lever up.

Dealer is coming out this week and will adjust the park brake; pedal free play is within specs. He'll also see if an adjustment and lube fixes why the park brake lever button sometimes doesn't want to depress to release the lever. I've noticed that jumping on the brake pedals while pulling up the lever and depressing the button frees the button. Dealer claims its been happening to other customers. Maybe I'm just pulling the lever up too far as I don't trust the park brake at all.

Dealer just can't get me closer to the brakes without cutting the pedals and welding in some more metal, which I don't want done. My seat is all the way forward and flotation is all the way down, but I'm still too far from the brake pedals at 5'7". Wish they had telescoping brake pedals like the telescoping steering wheel! ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-01-05          176236

Blondie, could you install brake pedal blocks---solid rubber or other---bolted or u-bolted to the pedals? I used wood blocks on my niece's go-kart so she reach the pedals. ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
Blondie

2011-01-05          176238

Been thinking about fabricating pedal blocks. Only ones on the web are for motorcycles and GM vehicles. Tks for reinforcing my intuition! ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2011-01-06          176246

WOW! I don't feel so bad now. I have a T2210. I am 5'8" and also find the ramp seat not quite right. I can reach the brake and the clutch OK. My biggest issue is with the diff. lock. I am a whooping 136# wet. The force I need to apply the diff. lock actually lifts me off the seat ever so little that the seat safety switch kills the engine. I am working on a wooden block-lever petal so I need less force to apply the diff. lock and it sits about 3-1/2 inches higher. So far--OK. With 4WD I have not needed to use the diff. lock much even over a muddy slope.

I know different issue--but wanted to share the petal reach concern--apparently, you are not alone!

Mike ....

Boomer 8N CVT

View my Photos
gpw1957

2011-10-08          180743

I am considering a Boomer 8n and a TC55. Can get a new 2009 Boomer for about the same price as a TC55 with just a couple of hundred hours. Will be using for general work, mowing fields and snow plowing. Anyone in a position to compare the two machines? Thanks. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login