Go Bottom Go Bottom

tc33da rear 3 pt hst in winter

View my Photos
aljolson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-28          159878

I have a 2002 TC33DA HST tractor with 150 hours and this winter have had problems with the FEL and rear 3 point. The power steering works, and it will engage in gear to move the tractor, but the loader will now lift or even sound like its straining to lift, the rear 3 pt has a back blade4 and will not lift. The temp has been 5-20 degrees in Ohio in the past week. All fluids have been checked and are up. The rear transmission hydraulic fluid does look a bit cloudier than when in hot weather. I t also appears to lug down after several minutes with the engine running when I try to move forward or reverse, but since I can't lift the loader or back blade, I guess I'm not going anywhere, anyway.. Any ideas??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-28          159880

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljolson | view 159878
The rear transmission hydraulic fluid does look a bit cloudier than when in hot weather.It also appears to lug down after several minutes with the engine running when I try to move forward or reverse.....

Sounds to me like there's a good amount of moisture, likely condensation in the hydraulic fluid.

Go to any big auto parts house and buy a couple of magnetic block heaters. If you stick those on the bottom of the transmission and the differential I'm sure it will warm the oil enough to fix the problem.

You can also just start the machine up and set the throttle to about 1,200-1,400rpm and let it run for a few minutes to warm up. Just the friction of the thick oil pumping around will help some.

Once you get it warmed up try driving around some. Even if you have to drag the blade and bucket some, moving will make heat a LOT faster.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-28          159881

Assumptions: All the linkage is working properly and that (if equipped) none of the remotes or the loader valves are not in relief. My TC33D, if the rear remote is stuck in relief the 3-pt will not move--you can hear a slight hissing behind the right rear tire where the hydraulic manifold/valving is, and the engine lugs just slightly.

Assuming you meant "NOT lift" versus "NOW lift", it sounds like the main hydraulic filter is clogged or iced up; the hydraulic fluid which supplies everything BUT the steering which has it's own pump and reservoir--is way too aerated--due to being iced up and the pump is sucking nothing causing cavitation. Any of the above alone will wipe out the hydraulic pump. And if you continue, eventually if not already the drive pump and motor will be wiped out.

BTW, the rear reservoir you spoke about supplies all the oil for the rear axle; both PTO drives; wet-brakes (which are bathed); transmission range gears; the entire hydro drive system; the 3-pt hitch lift system; and the hydraulic remotes including the loader system. And to reiterate, the steering system has a separate filter, reservoir and pump.

If it were me, I'd drain the entire system (ex. the steering), install new filters and new oil. The owners manual shows all the drain plugs--I think four total and the right oil to use. Before I would do it, don't drive it or operate it---push or pull it with the gear range in a N gear, and get it in a heated garage. This will help get the water droplets out of the reservoirs (I think 3 total) quicker and let the oil flow better. I'd let it drain for a few hours then start re-doing.

I have the factory ownmers and service manual if you need reference; contact me here or through private message. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-28          159899

Aljolson,

I'm curious about something. Your tractor is a 2002 model, with only 150 hours on it. Did you purchase it new? If so, have you ever drained and replaced the hydraulic fluids and engine oil in the tractor?

Most owners manuals have recommended oil change intervals based on hours of operation, alone. Experience has taught me that the number of hours of use is insignificant and meaningless, especially with equipment that is used as infrequently as your machine has been.

A general rule of thumb......which is something the owners manuals SHOULD include.......is to replace the hydraulic fluids and engine oil EVERY TWO OR THREE YEARS, whether or not the machine has even been started since the last oil change.

I'm with Earthwrks on this one. Drain and replace the hydraulic fluids, filters.....even the power steering fluid. And if you haven't changed the engine oil in quite a few years, I'd do that, as well.

Joel ....

View my Photos
aljolson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-31          159974

Thanks, I'll try to check those things. But it was -6 degrees last night. Wish I had a heated garage to work in. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-31          159979

I hear you about the garage---about a week or so my Cummins Ram's fuel line froze. My buddy and I spread a sheet of Visqueen (plastic sheeting) over the truck all the way to the ground and put a torpedo heater under it for 4-5 hours which thawed everything. It worked so nicely that even the closed-up cab was nice and warm! If you do this with your tractor, be sure not to be inside the enclosure while the heater is running, nor be in there right after due to the possible fumes--let it air out a minute---the heat retaind ion the racor itself will reheat the enclosure.

An alternative to the draped plastic is one of those cheap patio enclosures or small carport Northern Tool sells. Once it's up, use it to park the tractor in. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login