Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC30 those darn safety switches

View my Photos
Gerketo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-04          120362

Yesterday I started my TC30 or at least tried to. I bought it new and it is two months old.

It started up fine at first, and then I let it warm up for a couple of minutes. Tried to pull out of the barn but I could not move because I forgot to remove the wood block at the clutch, so I had to get off to remove the block. Well, I forgot to make sure that the stars were in perfect alignment prior to getting off of the seat, in other words, brake on, in neutral etc. The safety gizmos took over and turned the engine off.

After removing the block I tried to restart the tractor and it was not responding (not cranking). Checked every thing that may prohibit it from starting. I tried just about everything that I could think of, including the fuses.

The tractor just didn't want to start.

Four hours later it started right up. I had left it in neutral, with the parking brake on, without the wood block.

Any ideas why this may have happened. It was about 26 deg. that day, do the safety switches have a habit of freezing?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Gearhead

2005-12-04          120366

Could had froze, or the grese in the switch was real stiff. H the tractor sit for along time before you started it the first time ? ....

View my Photos
Larry A

2005-12-05          120450

I have exactly the same problem with my TC40D. We have not been able to identify any problem so far! The dealer did not have any useful advice. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-05          120452

I have a different brand tractor but the safety switch on my PTO lever is tempramental. If I wiggle this PTO lever while attempting to start, it starts right up.

My tractor was also prone to not starting because of all the safety switches. It originally had to make contact with all these before battery power through the key and then finally went to the starter. By then, the 12 volt system was sometimes down to 8 or 10 and didn't have enough zap to kick in the starter. I got a tip from another TP member, Larry Lutz and we added another solenoid. Now it goes from battery, to key, to safety switches and then goes to a solenoid that drops in 12volts directly to the starter (there is no voltage drop). She starts great now. I'm not aware if you have the same problems. ....

View my Photos
gerketo

2005-12-05          120468

Has anyone tried to defeat the switches. The gear switch would be the best candidate. It is a hydro so even if it is in gear you need to press the pedal to make it go, and the gear switch seems to have been the culprit. The brake switch and the seat switch both seemed to be functioning when the tractor wouln't start. ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-05          120471

The problem with the switches is they are a ball in socket type switch. They alway have just a bit of hyd. fluid behind the ball and that tends to create a vacuum holding the ball to the closed position. Especial when it is below 35 degrees. You can remove the switch and and clean the hyd. fluid out with some solvent and that will help for a while. Once you set it started and the hyd. fluid warms up the problem will go away. If you put it in neutral and wait a couple minutes you should be fine (3-5 minutes). This gives the spring behind the ball time to over come the vacuum. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login