Go Bottom Go Bottom

which to buy

View my Photos
deamtn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-11          93257

I have been looking into the NH TC40a with a 16 la loader and the Kubota 3830 DT with a 723 loader.
I like both tractors but each seem to have their own strong points. I will be using to keep roads up, some moving of rocks and bush hogging. Any recommendations?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

which to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-11          93258

Which dealer do you like best? ....

which to buy

View my Photos
deamtn

2004-08-11          93259

I have no problems with the dealers in which I have been talking to, some are higher priced than others. All that I have checked seem to have a good reputation for customer service. I am seeing a difference in the pricing on the two units. I know the differances but just wondered about anyones experience with these tractors. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-11          93263

Deam - I have an L3130 Kubota, Same frame & body as the L3830 with smaller motor. The thing is an OX. So Solid & strong. I contimplated between a TC40 & L3130 before I purchased. I did a lot of research on here & after reading & seeing the pic about the NH that broke in Half, I saw it all. I am not saying they are a terrible tractor but When I was chatting with my former Deere dealer one day who only sells deere, I told him I wasnt sure if I wanted Blue or orange & he said orange was a more solid unit. So after hearing him & reading different threads on here I decided on Kubota, & now that I have owned it for a while, I am glad I did! I think NH is designed more for AG use. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
deamtn

2004-08-11          93277

Appreciate the response. I tried to upgrade so I could read all of your response but something is wrong with the server. Based on your experience do think that the money difference from the 3130 to the 3830 is worth it. I current have a 2 wheel drive 35hp tractor that doesn't cut the mustard. I don't want to come up short again. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-11          93280

Given the choice between Orange and Blue; my personal preference would be for the Kubota hands down. If you are coming up short with a 35hp tractor now and do not want to come up short on hp again; you may want to consider the L4330 or L4630. 3 hp is not likely to make a world of difference and you may be disappointed with the machine wishing you had gone with more tractor. If you have not done so already; take a look at the new Deere 4000 Twenty CUT's. They are a bit on the large side but plenty of hp. You may even be able to swing a nice deal on a 4000 Ten Series 4610 or 4710 as well. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
deamtn

2004-08-11          93281

I looked into 4330 but the price sky rocketed out of my budget, also I have looked at the Kioti dk40 and 45 but I have been burnt trying to resale what you might say not one of the chosen 3, so I am a little skeptical . I'm trying not to spend over 20k less if possible. Any help on dealers that provide good services and pricing would be appreciated. I'm hoping with the 4 wd drive I am going to see a big difference. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-12          93291

You will see a big difference with the 4 wd. Based on what your saying, You should go with the L3830. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-12          93295

deamtn, the difference between 2wd & 4wd is like night and day in my opinion. Prior to my 4410, I owned a Kubota L245. The L245 was a nice little machine although a bit cramped on the operator station but the 2wd was horrible on slopes. It had the L1200 FEL and L590 RFM; it cut well but would slide down hills of any significance. 4wd allows braking action on 4 tires vs 2 and doubles traction. If the L3830 is what fits your budget; I am sure you will be very satisfied with it. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-08-12          93297

Deamtn
I have a NH TC40 and have not been stopped yet with it. 44 hours, half from cutting with a 72" rotary cutter and spraying. The other half is pulling a 2btm plow thru soil a bit too wet, It felt like I could handle a 3 or 4 btm plow. I spent 2 hours digging thry large rocks and clay. No damage to the bucket what so ever and since I was digging at an angle, the only limitations I had when trying to get some rocks to move was the wieght of the tractor, the front end would lift off before the tractor lost power (never lost power enough to stop it).
My tractor has not broke in half yet (LOL) but then again I have been the only one who owned and operated it.
Building tractors is not rocket science. Upgrade asap so you can read all the posts. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-08-12          93300

Grassgod
A "former" deere dealer ? Whats up with that? Do you think he really wants you to be totally happy with your purchase other than a deere? LOL. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-08-12          93301

deamtn, I have the L3130DT with the 723 loader and so far the only time I have wanted a bit more HP was when I was backfilling a buddies new foundation. So I would think the 3830 would be good for you. Also, if your 35 HP tractor was gas, they have a narrower power band than the diesel and lose power quickly when the RPMs wind down on a hard pull. So the extra few HP could feel like a lot more.
Dave ....

which to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-12          93304

Any machine can be broken if abused. I've seen pictures of a Kubota backhoe that was twisted like a pretzel. That doesn't mean they're weak, it just means the operator didn't have a clue. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
deamtn

2004-08-12          93321

One of my concerns is that down the road if I want use the tractor to cut and bail hay will the pto hp be enough on the 3830 dt or the tc 40a. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-12          93324

If you plan to bale hay; I suggest the L4330 or preferabley larger. Personally, I would go with the L4630 or L5030. Most balers require a minimum of 35 pto hp unless you want to pay the premium for a "mini-baler". ....

which to buy

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-12          93327

Chief has a very good point. I have been helping some neighbours lately getting hay in, it seems like it rains every 4 days and trying to get it baled and out of the field has been a real challenge. I had been just hauling wagons but one of the other tractors broke down and I put my L4310 on a baler.

There was absolutely no doubt that there was a real load on it.

If it ahd been hilly land I think it would have been borderline whether or not it could do it, luckily we are on a valley floor, flat as a table. A few more horsepower would have come in handy, and that was without running the air conditioning.

Best of luck.

which to buy

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-12          93347

The tc 40 is not a good tractor to try and bale with. Like was said earlier. If you have hills you can pretty much for get the L series Kubota. For that you would have to look at an M series. But you could all ways get a mini baler. Remember these are cuts, not farm tractors. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-12          93348

If you want to consider the mini implement route; here is a link for some nice but pricey machinery. ....

Link:   Mini Roll Baler

which to buy

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-12          93349

Here is their square baler. ....

Link:   Mini Square Baler

which to buy

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-12          93350

Come to think of it; you will need the rest of the equipment as well. May as well look at it all. ;o) I would suggest either a Deere 4720, Kubota 5030, or NH TC55A if you want to remain within the size and capabilities of a CUT. As has already been mentioned; you are treading on Ag tractor territory. ....

Link:   Agriquip

which to buy

View my Photos
deamtn

2004-08-12          93351

I want to thak everyone for all this info. A lot to digest ....

which to buy

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-12          93352

I would disagree with the statement that these are CUT's, not farm tractors.

Even Kubota calls the B & BX series CUT's and the L series Utility Tractors on their website.

The 5030 has a 52hp 4 cyl. engine, and up to 44hp PTO depending on the tranny you choose, that's more hp than a lot of legendary 'farm tractors' had, and they ran balers no problem. As a kid I baled an aweful lot of hay with an MF65 that was many years old than I was, and they were only 40hp PTO when they were new, and that one was far from that. The newer equipment is also a lot more efficient than the old stuff was, I suspect it takes less power to run it also.

According to the Vermeer website the Rebel 5400 I was running only requires a 40hp tractor, the PTO requirement is even less again.

Best of luck. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-08-12          93355

Murph
Your right, I use the term CUTS just for ease of typeing.
Never really gave it any meaning when using that term. Good point. I know I can do alot with mine. As farms get smaller and smaller (in some area's) and more people have a 40hr a week job it seems like these tractors may be all some need. I know of quite a few guys who plant and do maint. with their tractors and hire out the harvest, many more that hire out larger sections of their land and farm some of the smaller ones them selves while also having the full time farm guy harvest both crops. With health insurance, taxes and the cost of harvesting equipment its getting real hard for alot of hard working folk to make ends meeet without a outside job. Then they take that job for insurance and the time needed is not there if you dont have the LARGE equipment. I considered my 8n a farm tractor so if that is the case, I KNOW my tc 40 is. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-12          93356

Brokenarrow - I refer to him as my former dealer but he is also a personal friend. We know alot of the same people, Have some simular hobbies etc. He gave me his 2 cents as a friend. He said "if your not going to stick with Deere, I would personal recommend Kubota."
Dont be offended, It's only the opinions I have recieved. I almost bought one. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-08-12          93359

I shouldnt do that grass god. Just wanted to here from ya again. I figured you had to know this guy cause it would be hard to imagine a dealer from green telling you to go Orange? Why was it again that you did not go green? Was it price?
There is a bit of ribbing that I see amongst the owners of the big 3. Not alot but a "bit" some are very loyal to their brand and others (like me) buy for economic reasons. Personelly (And I dont know alot about the others)I would think there is very little difference between the 3, if you compare apples and apples. It is easy to get tunnel vision when you are extremely happy with anything you own. The next (anything) you buy may have flaws of the same brand. As long as these tractor makers honor their product and fix the bad apples, that is all one can really expect. Manufacturing is not perfect everytime, if a comp. can limit the imperfections and take care of the faults that is all I could expect.
I am still bewildered why there is such a price difference between the 3? New Hollands price makes them look cheap (maybe they are maybe not) Greens price makes me think they take advantage of a group of guys that are very loyal (kinda like harley). Maybe that is why Kubota is so appealing to some? Hey not trying to start a fight just stateing what I see from prices and talk here. The bottom line is that if you are very happy with your machine and it does everything it was supposed to, who cares what the price was. If I buy a NH and save $1500 but lose that on re-sale cause its not green your not money ahead anyway. I dont plan on selling mine! LOL
To be honest, If I did not work at CNH and only had advertising and this board to determine what tractor I should buy, it would be green or orange. Blue dont do enough advertising, there are not as many a field (around me anyway) and ya never here talk about them, we all know they are there and selling good but just seems like green and orange get more talk and popularity.
One last ?. Why is it that RED NEVER gets talked about here and why is it that RED just dont have the selling power in small tractors as the others? I know they used to be more than blue (although just about the same rig) but I see the price is the same now a day? I was under the impression that RED thought they could use their popularity a field "like anouther company", to sell for more than blue, and did not realize that tractor owners are not stupid. If ya can save a few bucks and its blue instead of red and its the same rig what the heck? (besides I like the blue better anyway) Shhh the CASE sign is still outside my company along with CNH sign.

I did have one dealer that was a red dealer that tried to push Kubota on me, he said it was a better machine? DAH, I get a discount on RED AND BLUE, and I aint STUPID he dont make squat on selling to me with my discount but if I bought a Kubota he would make his usual mark up.!!!! Ya think I bought or even talked to that guy anymore? Ya need to watch out for everone all the time, words are cheap, I look for alterior motives alot in salesmen.
OOPS sorry for rambling
Take care all have a good weekend ....

which to buy

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-12          93365

You wrote - "As long as these tractor makers honor their product and fix the bad apples, that is all one can really expect. Manufacturing is not perfect everytime, if a comp. can limit the imperfections and take care of the faults that is all I could expect." Ok..I agree with this statement & that is why I left Deere Brokenarrow. I had a major reoccuring problem with my Deere & The big wigs, Not the dealer but actually corp people of deere, Weren't willing to Fix the bad apples. I left deere for attittude! You can read about it Tom. Go to search & type in 790/ fel bucket dropping & read all th posts. Now when you speak of Red our you reffering to Massey Ferguson or Jinma? ....

which to buy

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-08-12          93366

both are good tractors,,I prefer my New Holland,,I like blue better! ....

which to buy

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-12          93367

niether. Case ih, farmall. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
deamtn

2004-08-12          93377

I think like everyone has stated there is a lot of brand preferances. I'm kinda leaning towards the NH 40 over the 3830 for acouple of reason and if anyone has any points of intrest I,m all ears. One is that the NH is a four cyl compared to three cyl. The other is the finance term for NH. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-12          93380

They are both good reasons. They may be comparable in hp but the torque between the 3 and 4 cyl. will make a difference. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
deamtn

2004-08-12          93382

not to sound,_ _ _ _ you know. Are you saying the 3 cyl will produce more torque than the 4 cyl? I have not seen in the specifications anyone actually give the torque like in a trucks specifications. If anyone has that for the NH TC 40 and Kubota L3830 I would appreciate that info. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-08-12          93383

That is why I went up from the tc35 to the tc 40 when choosing. If your NOT looking at supersteer dont rule out caseIh (RED) If you can get a better deal on that one in your area go for it, its the same as blue for all practical purposes (unless oneace has info to the contrary) I am pretty sure they are about the same if not exactly.
Have you test drove the kubota and others yet? Maybe you wont like the feel of the NH (or others) if comparing apples to apples on hp and torqe, the dealer/the feel of the tractor and money in that order should be a deciding factor for you. Others here have taught me well! The dealer can make or break a buying experiance, be real comfortable with him. Also, I dont know how much homwork you have done so I will fill you in on a few items I learned (real quick) I just bought mine 4 months ago.
If your doing much 3 pt work try to afford a top/tilt valve right off the bat I did not and really wish I did.
If your getting a gear tractor at the very least get the deluxe 3pt adjustable linkage. A MUST! Fill your tires or other counter weight, block heater, fel, measure your garage door and opt for the folding rops If taller than garage you MUST HAVE IT) You may need to work on it someday even if you expect to keep outside cause you dont have a garage yet. Consider an optional extra rear valve, consider the deluxe seat. Figure out what you really want and need and price it that way!!! Is free delivery in the price? How about the first set of filters? Oh yea, make sure the price is including tires! LOL Dont get too high on a dealer till you get all the eggs in your basket. I did not want the hydro but the cost came real close to the hydro (which has the deluxe options in the price) I still did not want it, when I am doing fel work like moving gravel, I wish I had it but it is not a must have by anymeans unless your in buisness and time is money. Get a dealer that is up front and not trying to get you to accept an offer and then adding on the add ons! I love my machine, just like Kwschumm loves his deere and murf loves his Kubota. I feel we have a little fun punching each other in the ribs a bit about each others brand ( atleast I do anyway) But all in all you wont go wrong with any of the big three makers. If you plan on selling your tractor in the future maybe consider deere cause I feel they have a great resale value'
(dont know about mine or kubota) If money is your tight situation right now go with NH (I fell they can give you the best deal for the money right now) if its a bit of both maybe Kubota should be your choice. regaurdless be happy with your dealer.
Now these are just MY FEELINGS. I am in NO WAY a experianced tractor owner/ buyer but I am not dedicated to any one brand. I just happen to work for NH and get a special price, couple that with I am by nature frugal with my money and NH was the perfect choice for me, it may not be that way for you. OH YEA one last hing GET 4WD period!
I could of bought a brand new TN55 for the same money as my TC40 but the tn was 2wd. Maybe thats your option if your place is flat and you want to bale hay and you dont plan to do alot od fel work?
good luck my novice .02 worth ....

which to buy

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-13          93388

the 4 cyl. nh will have a little more torque than the 3 cyl. kubota. BUT the kubota is still a great tractor. Yes the case and new Holland are the exact same tractor. ....

which to buy

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-13          93466

Brokenarrow made very good pionts. I agree with him. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login