Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
iloveholly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-09          82593

Hi All,

I'm looking at a 2000 NH1920 for $12,900. Does anyone have input on the quality of this tractor & if the price looks ok? The tractor has super steer FEL, shuttle shift, only 260 hours, and it's extremely clean-looks like new. I looked at a TC29, but was told the 1920 is far more powerful, heavy duty, with much stronger loader.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-09          82596

If it's 4WD that's a great price, if 2WD it seems in the ballpark. FYI, you can register at machinerylink dot com and they have a used tractor price guide under Tools and Resources. Be aware that the prices they list seem to be a little high at times, but often you can get a good idea of what stuff goes for by reviewing their equipment classifieds. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-09          82597

ok i may be mistaken but i do not belive super steer was around for the 1920 as far as the loder gose a 7308 is a 7308, unless it has a 7108 in which case the 7308 is better.for a few thousand more 2,000 to 4,000 you can have a brand new tractor. if you want a real work horse look at the nh tc 30. and super steer is useless unless you are getting a mmm but the new holland line turns shap enough with out it. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
Peters

2004-04-09          82603

I would agree with Oneace I believe the local dealer has the TC30 in the $13,500 list new. For a little more you get the hydro. I priced a new 2003 TC35 the other day a 14K 4x and shuttle. I would work the dealer a little harder if you like the tractor. I am sure you can get a quote from Corriher or Tarhill in this price range. Then as the dealer what he thinks. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
iloveholly

2004-04-09          82611

Hey thanks for all your input. I'm a novice. Just bought 10 acres and need to mow, landscape, drag trees off fencelines, etc etc. I'm in Oregon. One of you mentioned going to a local dealer, but out here the prices seem higher than I've seen on the East coast websites like Corriher. The loader is a 7308, and the tractor DOES have supersteer. Not that I need it. It is also 4x4. The first job I have is to move 600 yards of dirt. The shuttle tranny should help and I understand that the loader on this tractor is faster and more powerful than orange or green tractors with similar HP. FYI, a super deal on a new 'b' series light duty 24 hp Kubota with loader is $13,000 locally. I don't like the turf tires on this tractor as our two local seasons are 'rainy' and 'August' and we have lots of clay mud. Anyway, I've tried to put a link in for a picture I took of the tractor, and I'm going up to Portland to look at it again tomorrow.-Jeff ....

Picture Link
New Holland Tractors Ford NH 1920

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-10          82623

There may be an issue in the history of this tractor. If I recall, NH bought the Ford Tractor Division in the late '90's and the 20-series compacts were the current production model. NH continued production of the 20-series for awhile and many have introduced changes and new features. NH then stopped production of the 20's in favour of the Boomers and later brought out the TC-series, which are essentially re-bagged 20's.

Here's the issue; if by Supersteer we mean a front axle that pivots with the steering it is extremely unlikely that Ford 1920's offered this optional feature. If the feature was an add-on by NH then it likely exists on a very small number of tractors.

The issue is whether the parts are the same as SS used on more common models. If the parts are unique then a good question is whether NH would continue to supply parts for decades when the demand likely would be extremely rare. I think I'd sort the issue one out. Breaking something 10 years from now and finding parts aren't available wouldn't make the present asking price much of a bargain. NH seems a bit spotty on parts support for the 10-series Fords at present. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-10          82627

I forgot to mention some history. Most of the major NH production changes to the Ford 20's came out in various 15-series models. The 15's have always have been mysterious to me but not as mysterious as putting SS on a 20--that's probably what happened though. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-10          82632

that tractor form the picture is not super steer the front axel dose not articutal you can see that there are no tie rods going to the frame and also the pivot blocks are also visible. if this tractor was super steer you would not be able to see the pivot blocks from that angle. also missing is the lower stablizer link comming from the underside of the transmion to the axel. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-10          82634

Oneace: That's sort of what I was thinking as well. It's good you can identify the axle from the pic as I couldn't. I though it looks pretty much like my 1710 though. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-10          82635

yeah i have a 1920 sitting on the lot right now. at first i was a little confused because i'm not to up on the older model numbers without seeing the tractor. with seeing the tractor ss was not even a figment of there imagination then. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
iloveholly

2004-04-10          82638

Well I guess if it doesn't have supersteer it's a good thing. It's not something I need or was looking for. The reason I thought it had supersteer is there is a label on the tractor that mentions it. It sounds like overall, if I can't get the price down somewhat, then this may not be the tractor for me. I'll ask the dealer about parts but with this particular dealer I'm not sure I'll get an honest opinion. Since this is the last year production of this model from 4 years ago, it does make me wonder about parts. I found a 2000 TC29 (600 hours) with loader for $11,250, and a 2002 JD790 (92 hours) with loader for $12,750, but I don't like the shifter or the loader controls for them. They both may be better values though. But they're lighter tractors with slower loaders from what I can tell. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-10          82641

the tc 29 has the same loader as the 1920 the only thing is the joy stick is in a different location. But i still thinck the prices you are talking about you should look at a new tc 30 you would not be dissapointed with the proformance of that tractor. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-10          82642

The 7308 is not a particularly strong loader compared to Kubota's or JD's in the same class. IIRC it's lift capacity is about 30% less than Deere's 430 loader. I can look up the specs if you want since I have the product brochures here somewhere. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
Peters

2004-04-10          82643

The TC30 is a little larger but I believe that most of the parts on the 1920 would cross over to the TC30. I would not worry about parts as it is a NH product and is still being sold to a greater or lesser extent. The TC 29 with loader sound good. I am not a fan of the 790 as I think it should have wet brakes like most of the comparable models. To me this is a 2000 dollar hit as the dry brakes need more attention.
I would assume I can get a new TC30 for around 12K and with loader for 15K. Depending on the hours 2 K does not seem like much off for 4 years and a 2 year waranty. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-10          82645

peters is exactly right ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-11          82754

After seeing the picture, I would consider buying new. Even if you only enough cash for the used one NH has 0 financing and 2-5% for an extended time period. With 4 wd you may be able to go down one size and acomplish what you are buying for and still keep thew price where you want?
Good luck ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
iloveholly

2004-04-11          82774

Thanks everyone for your input-I went ahead and bought the 1920 yesterday. It was at the very top of my price range. I was paying cash, so the good financing options on a new one didn't matter to me, only the actual price. My wife is quitting her job to be a full time stay at home mom as we are adopting two kids who will be here in July, so we don't need another monthly bill in addition to our new mammoth mortgage pmt. Hopefully, the tractor won't break soon, and make me regret buying used. Again, here in Oregon, prices are higher than you have back East, and something new with comparable features would have been at least $17k. The deciding factor was when I actually finally sat on the tractor, I found it had POWER/clutchless shuttle shift-I thought I'd have to use the clutch for the shuttle. ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-11          82782

Congratulations on your new tractor! I hope it treats you well and leaves you with plenty of money for future additions to your family :) ....

Ford NH 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-12          82813

'Grats! Sounds like you had what I call the 'AHH THIS IS THE ONE' experience. That experience is seldom wrong and usually results in the best tractor for a person and their budget. Sure does simplify buying if the 'AHH' comes early. Sitting in tractors and driving them around the dealer's lot is a good way to get that experience.

I doubt that you'll get into parts problems especially if as Peters mentioned the TC drive-trains may cross-over. With a few differences, the engines are used on various Japanese tractors if the NH parts systems starts running out. I think my 1710 may get into parts problems because the engines may be very similar to other Japanese tractors but the drive trains may be unique to Ford. Besides, it's reasonable to expect that a tractor isn't going to break for decades under normal use. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login