Go Bottom Go Bottom

Insider for what it is worth info

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-23          80893

If you are planning on buying a tractor, do it soon!!!!!
The winds have told me that prices are going up around April or so. Word has it the price of steel and other factors are going to be the root cause of this, and I am sure it will pass thru the ranks of all the other manufactures. (My sources are pretty good) Now dont slap me if it doesnt happen, I am just a messenger and was told I better buy this month (HA I already did) Just wanted to pass on this tid bit!
Tom

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-23          80896

I've heard that too. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-23          80897

We were planning on putting up a steel building late this summer and it figures that steel prices are climbing. When we built our house a few years ago there was a sheetrock shortage and the prices peaked just when we needed the rock. Somehow my timing always stinks. ....

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-03-24          80998

I am in concrete and use quite a bit of rebar, mesh, and other steel for the handrails we make ourselves. The steel has almost doubled in the last 3 months. The rebar went up the least, the square, channel, and moulding stock went up the most. The Chinese are buying up all of our steel scrap because most of all the steel items today are recycled, and made in China, and they have no natural sources so they buy our scrap.

I buy my steel directly from the importer in PA, and he is warning me that the increase is far from over. I expect the increase in steel costs to be seen in everything that has steel in it. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-03-24          81002

I work as a machinist for a C-NH supplier and we just had to add steel surcharges to ALL our customers, so I can confirm this. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-24          81017

Surcharges, costs added to published mill prices are now at about $120/cwt, or $240/ton. I am in the structural steel buisines and have been living this pain daily. They have also published shipping surcharges to deal with the rising cost of fuel. Surcharges are published almost weekly, and are assesed at time of delivery.

Some manufacturers, like the auto companies, have long term contrats with the mills. Flat roled products are a somewhat different comodity than structural shapes, because the scrap content is different. But wait and see how long these contracts hold up. Buy now if you are going to buy. It is not expected to get better any time soon. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-03-24          81041

I've heard that the price of roof bolts (coal mines) has more than doubled in the last couple of months.
Bill ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-25          81048

Anybody know what this might ad to the price of a new pick-up truck? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-03-25          81130

i would not look for the price of nh compacts to rise too much even though they come out of dublin ga most parts and components are made over seas ....

View my Photos
HuckMeat

2004-03-25          81134

I'm mid construction on my insulated concrete form house. ALL things steel, and other metals that are alloyed with steel, are climbing. Doesn't matter if it's made here or over there. China, and to some degree, India, are building a lot, and as mentioned before, this is causing a short term rise in steel prices.

I just had to buy 18000 feet of #5 and #4 rebar. It's almost doubled since I started my project, but back then, I didn't know how much I'd need. Sure wish I had bought it in December!

I just bought all my steel brackets for framing and ledgers, and my bolts. They are starting to rise, but home depot hasn't raised the store prices yet, so I figured why not. Better to buy them now than pay another 20% in 8 weeks. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-27          81364

Kwschumm
Why not buy now and tell em you to hold for the weather to break (and extend as long as possible) Then when the steel is delivered put your wifes car outside of the garage and your steel building in? LOL
Oneace
All I can tell you is that Case NewHolland tractors made in the states including Ga. are supposed to be going up, Straight from my Plant manager! We manufacter many parts for many of our tractors and skidsteers and How Much an increase, I dont know, but every couple hundred bucks
is anouther impliment on back order for me (LOL).
So lets see now, Our hardwood is being shipped over sea's, out steel scrap is also going there, our oil prices have not gone down (so that throws the Iraq for oil theory out the winda) Hmmm, Kinda wish my man Bush would use this as a trump card. I know it is an election year, do you think our neighbors know that too and are taking advantage a bit? OOPS got off track there sorry. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-03-28          81381

Even tho my kids tell me to retire from fulltime farming (43 yrs.), I've got my health back, I feel good, I love the business, so why quit? As an example of price raises, one of our farm tractors is a model 8410 Deere that we bought new in Aug of 01, full list price was 148930.00. Just for curiosity I built a new identicaly equiped 8420 on the JD website with the build and price feature on 03-13-04. they are the same tractor except for some cosmetic changes. Full list is now 162948. I visited with the Deere dealer a couple days ago, and so far Deere hasn't followed the short line mfg. trend of 5-10% price raises since Mar. first. My point of all this being that no industry be it ag, construction, or whatever can stand these kind of price increases. I'm glad that we have updated most of our farm equipment in the last three or four years and really don't need to buy anything new other than repairs and have decided that I'm just not in the market for any new equipment. My attitude is not good for the economy of our country, everyone of us who does this will eventually cost someone down the line their job in the form of layoffs, etc., but finally enough is enough. Frank. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-28          81401

Hardwood
Congrats on staying in the buisness so long and thank you for feeding the world too (lord knows without you farmers in America half the world would be starving)
On the same tone that you were on, since 2000 we have recieved roughly 8 cost of living raises totalling around
.80, an hour now divert .04 from each one (which is diverted for insurance cost) which = .32 subtracted from the original .80= .48 an hour increase since the end of 2000. 20 bucks more a week. I work for CNH and they keep telling us our wages are one reason we are not as competitive as we should be. HUH! Lets go back to the year 2000 and I will take my old wage and pay what everything used to cost. For some reason (insurance) and everything else seams to add up to way more than my .48 an hour increase in the last 4 years.
I know you farmers have gone thru the mill also especially on dairy farms, dont know how you all cope with seeing what they charge for a food anmd what you actually get paid for the ingredients! Like I said before; thank you for feeding us!!!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-03-28          81405

Brokenarrow; thanks for the pat on the back for the ag industry. I did'nt mean to be crying on anyones shoulder about the problems in the ag business. We're all in the same boat and every business or the employees of the business have different problems to overcome and hopefully somehow things can get back to a more rational slower inflation rate. I've been enjoying the Board as a place to discuss common intrests regardless of how anyone makes their living and put the everyday problems of politics, wars, and whatever else we're involved in out of mind for a while. Keep smileing, Frank. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-28          81418

Frank
Nope, didnt take it like you were cryin on anyones shoulder, two jobs I feel go unthanked is yours and our service men an women so I thank em every once in awhile. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login