Go Bottom Go Bottom

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-06          76199

Just wondering if anyone here did not have to pay sales tax on their tractor. I was wondering, since the tractor is going to be used primarily for farming activities if it is taxable at the time of purchase? When one of the prospective dealers asked me, "Why I was thinking of NOT getting a loader with the tractor, and my answer was because I will be using it primarily for field preperation, he then told me, "well then you dont need to pay sales tax if it is used primarily for farming?" Something here dont smell right, or am I that far out of the bubble????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-06          76201

I didn't pay sales tax 'cause there's no sales tax in Oregon :) But they sure get you in other ways :( Anyway, the tractor is part of our tree farming business so we will be writing it off on our federal taxes. ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-02-06          76203

I did not pay any sales tax, anything related to farming in Mo. there is no sales tax... Some dealers if you buy a tractor with a mmm they are required to charge sales tax because they say it is not for farming. ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-07          76208

"Just wondering if anyone here did not have to pay sales tax on their tractor. I was wondering, since the tractor is going to be used primarily for farming activities if it is taxable at the time of purchase?"

I didn't pay

Every state has different definitions of agriculture. Here in NY horse boarding is now agriculture so it works for me. If you say it's for farm use they will not charge you sales tax. Even thougth I bought one state over they were supposed to file some paperwork with NY for the tax free sale for farm use. I think they fotgot the form anywa.

The odds on someone calling you on it are probably very slim... and hey when you bought it you planned on farming right??? :) I din't see anything about a time frame :) :) I suppose if they called you on it they would make you pay the back sales tax and MAYBE a small penalty.

Let's face it, almost EVERYTIME you buy items (not clothes under a certain ammount) out of state and save on taxes your supposed to pay the difference in tax to your state. ANYONE ever do that voluntarily? This seems like it's along the same lines to me.

What, mowing the lawn aint' agriculture? ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-07          76235

In Michigan you don't have to pay sales tax for farm use. The dealer however will ask you for your tax exempt ID number. Once in a while they will let you by if you give them you corporate name like jo-blow farms,LLC. ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-07          76273

In all honesty, I do not live full time at the place I will keep the tractor. For the next few years anyway. So for the most part a real high percentage of the time it will be used for farm related activities. I described my uses for the tractor to a dealer last night (in person) like this, I will be using the tractor for field work for the most part disking, cutting fields, plowing (when needed) and planting along with helping pick the rocks and keeping the trails in good condition. Now would you say that sounds like farm/agriculture use? I would and he did not say one thing to me about declaration of use. Infact
he added up the $1,060 dollar tax and put it in the estimate. When I got home I recieved a call from anouther dealer I have been in contact with, he is the one that told me that my uses for the tractor was farm related and I should not pay the tax. Gee which dealer do you think I am leaning towards now? This guy even told me that if I am in the area and it is on a sunday, to call him and come over to his house to visit. Talk about friendly!! I will be the first to say that I just about never break laws (knowingly) so I was skeptical, then I began to think and told myself, "hey he is right, it will be bought for the use of my 160 acre parcel, (I think in the south west they call them ranches, just a few 1000 more acres to em!) ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-02-08          76312

"I will be the first to say that I just about never break laws (knowingly)"

I agree, and I am sure your truthful when you say this. Some of this tax stuff goes past $$$ matters it's just downright ridiculous. Where you may run into trouble is if your state calls for their to be aprofit/profit motive in oreder for it to be agricultural. I would buy the tractor tax fee and do some research, you can always pay at the end of the year if you find out you should. Just tell them you bought it in anticiaption of staring an ag business and decide against it so your here to do your duty as a citizen and pay the tax. After they recover from shock, they'll gladly take your money without a question :) :)

Here in NY in an effort to close the budget gap the added another line to our tax return this year. Line 56 where you declare them ammnount of taxable goods you bought while out of state, mail order, internet, etc. They want you to declare the taxes you paid than figure out the difference and send the extra you owe to bring it up to the taxes of your home county.

Let me ask you, to be fair if I paid 8.25% tax while travelling in NY state and my home county is only 7% tax don't you think they should pay ME the difference. Nope, won't happen! they don't even metion that in their computations. You get taxed by where you live, unless of cost THEY lose money on the deal!

My line 56 is blank as is everyone else I know. I guess I am now among several million "law breakers" in NY.

Heck I didn't even nickel and dime them for some minor deductions I was entitled to so as to avoid any issues. Now, they want me to get out every lunch receipt, credit card slip, check, etc I wrote to out of state merchants and compare it to my counties tax rate. I already have a hobby, give me a break already. :)

I listen to a tax expert and they said the NYS government doesn't think they will get much. They are counting and a few wealthy people throwing a $50 spot on line 56 just to keep the wolves away. What are they going to do audit you and subpoena your credit card bills and see if anything was purchased out of state over and get the $50-%100 in difference between some states 6% tax rate and NY's 7-8.25%rate??? ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-08          76325

350lawnman
LOL. Bingo!
I was just talkin to my oldest son on what he thinks he will take up in college next year, a CPA I said hopefully?
I have 80 acres in "pfc"(private managed forrest crop law)
I get a tax break if I agree to do a managed forrest program which the state sets up the timeline. The other 80 acres is taxed full blown. I was thinking? Isn't your forrest considered a small buisness which is actually gaining in value every year untill I am told to cut the trees by the state? I would need a tractor to do the general tree farm maintanance wouldnt I? I need a CPA in the family!!!! LOL ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-02-08          76355

Taxes taxes taxes and then loop holes. Here in WV you can get a farmers tax break on purchases such as equipment and feed and vehicles ( Farm Use ), But you mush receive a Farm Tax exempt ID # and in order to receive your #, pending on the acres you must make so much $$ per year. For example if you own 5 acres and grow a garden, if you sell $1000 per year of your crop you are eligible for Farm Exempt. But then again there is a catch. I get the tax breaks on feed and equipment, but my Homeowners insurance goes up quite a bit, Liability.... Farms are considered a dangerous place. Ya know, ground hog holes and snakes could injure someone visiting your farm ;-) ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-02-08          76359

Yeah, I have 2 children maybe I can manage to have, 1 CPA and 1 lawyer. They could draw straws and the loser has to be the lawyer :) :)

I did my taxes in 1/3 the time last year; your not kidding about needing a CPA in the family!

As as far as the farm tax, here in NY there are several advantages that offset any $$ earned that you need to show The biggest gain being school tax credits. I don't apply for it but if I boarded a few more horse I could. What BS, all of a sudden I'm a farmer and get big tax breaks?? That's not who the law should help...then again it shouldn't help some multinational conglomerate that owns 2 million acres somewhere either, but it does.

If I where smart I'd apply for it, deduct every nail, fence, feed, bedding, hay, fuel, tracor part, etc I buy and save some $$$.

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-02-08          76360

I am an accountant, but I hate taxes and refuse to do anyone's but my own. It's getting so anymore everything is a judgement call on taxes meaning it is how things are interpreted. A small unknown fact to most people is that if you have a CPA prepare your taxes and they screw up and the Feds want to take action. They come looking for the taxpayer and do their dealings with you!!! You must then go back and seek recourse from your CPA. A resourceful CPA can save you several hundred dollars if not thousands on your returns, but again these may be interpreted differently by the feds. A bad CPA can cost you thousands either in pentalties and fines or by not getting the most deductions possible. ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
BigBob

2004-02-08          76365

My father bought my tractor because his name was on "our" tree farm. Just taking advantage of the laws in the great state of Ohio. Without the farm I would have never purchased a new tractor, so I guess it's fair. I'ts the groceries, computer, lawn and garden eqipment, blue jeans, furmiture, Ect., that might be a stretch for farm use. ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-12-26          102936

I did not pay any sales tax, anything related to farming in Mo. there is no sales tax...
***Some dealers if you buy a tractor with a mmm they are required to charge sales tax because they say it is not for farming.
loghouse95
======================
***So what do you pay the sales tax on ;The tractor or the MMM,or do you pay the sales tax on both?

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-12-26          103005

We have some crazy rules on the subject. Something like you need to make or show a 6k profit or money spent, what ever! You get the pic. BUT Also if you are using something for woods work and woods work only agricultural your also not supposed to have to pay. I think its anouther thing like (how good a accountant you use) Dont know but will tell you when I get the call. How the heck can a guy clear land and prepair to make some money at the game if all the benifits come after words? The open farm land is shrinking around me and farming is something that feeds us all. Seems they would be encouraging the clearing of new farm land? ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-16          104321

Churches and non profits would probably be exempt ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-16          104324

I live in Oh. just cross the Ohio River and you're in W.VA.
W.Va. sales tax is 6% Ohio sales tax is 7.50 %
Go to wal mart or any other store in W.va.And you pay W.va.6 percent tax.

I got my BX in W.Va.Yet had to pay Ohio 7.50 %. There is something wrong with this picture.

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-16          104336

Since we here is Wi. are in a tax hell property/income I can not feel for you (LOL). All I ever hear is how bad we are taxed (in Wi.) but on the other hand we have a 5.5% sales tax. What I am getting at is the Govt.'s are going to get revinue one way or anouther.
I often thought the same thing when traveling to Il. to buy a gun, I paid their sales tax on small items yet when it came to larger items I paid my sales tax. I wonder if it has to do with anything that needs to be registered? Ya think?
Hey tax accountant man? Whats the deal?
Thanks tom ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-16          104337

No sales tax in New Hampshire. Don't live there though. In Maine we have 5% sales tax but the state income tax makes up for it. ....

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-19          104499

If I would have owned 7 or more acres I could have bought mine as farm equipment and been tax exempt.

My 2.33 acres didn't qualifly.

95% farm related 5% not

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-20          104578

Lucern
Like I said, I feel your pain also, we are the same way. Heck we have it so bad that every time the COLA goes up so many points the GAS tax automatically rises also. The state dont even have to vote on a tax increase here. It is built right into the system and NO legislator has to take the heat for asking for it. That stinks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login