Go Bottom Go Bottom

NH TC30 vs Kubota B7800 vs JD 790

View my Photos
kwgist
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-15          68870

Hope some one can help. New to the tractor buying game, but am fixin to take the plunge. Need to maintain 1/4 mile driveway, handle small hobby farm chores. thinking I need a machine about the size of the TC30, B7800, or 790-with FEL, box scraper, and front blade as part of initial purchase. shredder to come later. overall, like the feel of the blue one best. All 3 machines coming in with desired implements around $15,000, plus or minus a little. Any suggestions from from the resident experts? Thanks much!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-15          68873

They are all good machines with loyal owners. Don't underestimate your gut instinct. Did one dealer seem better than another, or do any of the dealers have questionable reputations?

The 790 is available only with collarshift transmission, the TC30 and B7800 have other options. Make sure the quotes are apples to apples with regard to transmission types.

The TC30 has a few more HP than the 790 and also has wet brakes vs. the 790s dry brakes, although not too many people complain about the 790s dry brakes. It may make a difference in a few years if you have lots of hills on your property. I'm not sure about the kubota. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-15          68875

The 790 has a floor shifter between your legs, the "big brother" 990 has the collar shift.

Those are the machines I considered as well when I bought my 790. I also considered the AGCO ST30X, Kioti 3054 and Century. All nice, and will probbaly all get the job done. ....

View my Photos
hockeyhead

2003-11-16          68878

You will find the owners of each will thing they are great, and really they are. I have had a Tc-30 for 6 months and I'm very happy with it. If you are going to box blade, get it with a top and tilt system (dual rear hydrulic remotes) I added after and big $$$, good luck, enjoy your quest ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-16          68881

TC30 and the 7800 are the two that have the most power for pto opertaion or for blowing and mowing and also with the hydro the easiest to operate. The NH's seem to have a few problems but are manageable. The 7800 has been flawless for owners so far. I would have to go with your comfort on the dealer and the two tractors mentioned to get the most bang for your buck. Just don't pay extra for a color, it is worth it for the right dealer. ....

View my Photos
BARNEE

2003-11-16          68890

Art, excellent comment on checking out the dealer. I've seen numerous posts where things either turned out good or bad depending on the dealer. I was spending all my time checking out tractors, features, etc. , but the light just came on that I probably also need to check out the dealers I'm talking to. Any suggestions on how to check out a dealer, especially if you don't know someone that's dealt with them (e.g. the dealer is some distance from where you live)?? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-16          68892

If you are going to get a front blade with the purchase make sure it is engineered to the tractor, not for so much for size, but ease of installing.

You don't want to be laying in the snow for 45 minutes with hydraulic fluid dripping on your jacket every time you need to swap front implements. ....

View my Photos
kwgist

2003-11-16          68893

thanks for all the input! Just one more question, however. I'm one of those guys who likes to try and buy American when possible. Are Kubotas mfg'd here in country or in Japan? anyone know! ....

View my Photos
boatman

2003-11-16          68898

I have had my TC30 for six months, have put just over 110 hours on it (about 50 hours loader work w/7308 loader, about 40 hours mowing with a 60" rotary cutter, and the rest misc. with rear blade). The machine and all attachments have performed flawlessly. During the summer I used the machine many days with ambient temperatures well over 100 degrees and the last couple of weeks have been using it with temperatures in the 15-20 degree range. The machine always starts and runs excellent and has performed all tasks as advertised.
You will never regret purchasing a TC30. This machine has been a pleasure to own and operate. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-16          68900

Kubota does have a plant in Georgia but all compacts come from the orient or other countries. They account for 80 percent of the market. Some market under there own name, some don't. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-16          68929

Don't think you can go wrong with any of them, I love my 790. Just remember chicks dig the GREEN MACHINE ;)

Actually it was true in my case. I was not sure what to get and my wife felt strongly about the JD. She liked the "traditional" square styling and metal hood of the 790. JD was also the least expensive so it made sense for more reasons than one. Anyway that's what we got and still think it was a good choice.

Good luck whatever you pick. ....

View my Photos
MNinAR

2003-11-16          68934

I was recently in the market for a tractor of similar size and capability. I talked to dealers and looked at all three tractors mentioned. Honestly, they are all fine machines! A major consideration and as previously mentioned, the dealer plays in major role in the selection you make. The following link which compares the JD 790 to the NH TC30 may be of some help to you. Best of luck in making your purchase a pleasurable one. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-17          68987

How can you tell a good dealer, set him up? I had customers that would come in one time and ask a question then a month or two later ask the question again just worded different. See who you feel most comfortable with. Who offers the most for you. Have you talked as to what comes included as far as future service? Kubota's are as dealer free of a tractor that you can find bar none. There are those moments! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-17          68989

I don't think it's hard to tell a good dealer from a bad one. It's a bad sign if a dealer badmouths other brands with only anecdotal evidence ("I heard of a guy who..."). If you can't get somebody to talk to you when you walk in, or if the place looks like a dump, or if they are dodgy talking about prices those are bad signs too. On the other hand if the dealer knows his competition and can talk up his brands strengths and admit weaknesses, and if they are patient and forthcoming with information and if the dealership is well maintained and well stocked those are good signs. A really good dealer would be willing to bend over to make sure you're happy - even if it means coming to your property to discuss your needs and letting you try before you buy. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-17          68990

I think Scott nailed it when he said the chicks REALLY love the GREEN paint. ;-) I think it has something to do with the "Green M&M phenomenon". ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-17          68994

:)

Chief,

My wife likes the tractor even more now as it has made horse ownership much easier. No more manure management problems. With all this rain the tractor has been getting work smoothing the muck. Just trying to keept he chopped up area from the horses level so the water runs off rather than gathers in pools. With the cooler temperatures and short days it is NOT going away. I can't wait for the ground to freeze!

Tractor is great and seems to have gotten even better after hours, maybe the diesel has "loosened" up a little. Witht he 500lb counter weight it is greta through the mud...believe me if I didn't get stuck this year I am gonna be fine ;) Can't wait to move some snow!

Scott ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-18          69001

Chief, I think there might be some leadership thrown in here too, from some people that wear pants normally. In our area you could boost all you want but we've been maintaining the market share here under 100 horse with the blue boys being second. ....

View my Photos
Paladin

2003-11-21          69279

I am also planning to "take the plunge" soon and have looked over numerous machines. IMHO, the NH machines have the best ergonomics of the bunch. I hated to end the test drive and get off the tractor. The loader controls were just perfectly positioned for my arm. The sloped hood makes it easy to see what's happening with the loader. This may strike some of you as odd, but the Korean-built Century came in second for me in the ergonomics department and the 'bota 2910 dead last. Aren't the 'botas about due for a redesign soon anyway? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-21          69282

The B-series has been there for a while and probably in the next year or two they should be ready I believe. Most manufacturers go about 5 years unless they goof up and then it will be in about two or three tops for them to straighten out there problems like Deere on the 4000 series before the 4010 series. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-21          69283

"In our area you could boost all you want but we've been maintaining the market share here under 100 horse with the blue boys being second."

It just depends where you live. JD rules in these parts. Many Dairy farmers seem to be exclusively JD. Others will ahve mostly JD machines with a MF,Ford, IH,Farmall,etc. thrown in the mix as well. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-11-21          69284

It's the same way here too, F350Lawman. In this order JD, NH and MF. That includes below and above 100 HP. There's only one Kubota dealer within a 70 mile radius and he's a crook.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-21          69286

Hey Art, I was just teasing, Scott having some fun about the chicks love green paint comment and the green M&M's. I'm not bad mouthing anyone's tractor and certainly not Kubota. My personal opinion is that Kubota and John Deere are both good machines but I got the better deal on the Deere. I had a Kubota last before I bought the Deere. It was a sweet little tractor. No negative connotation was meant or intended. If I didn't have green paint, I would most probably be sitting on orange. I put my pants on and wear'em just like everyone else. ;-) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-21          69288

Here it's JD, NH, and Kubota. I don't know how the local Kubota dealer stays in business since his lot looks like a toxic-waste dump and their salesman are all slimeballs. The NH dealer told me once that their best sales guys worked at that Kubota dealer. There is an excellent Kubota guy about 75 miles down the road but that's a long way to go when there are good JD and NH dealers within a couple of miles. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-23          69387

It seems strange that the numbers from the manufacturers keep showing that the Kubotas share is larger on units sold every year. Must be a lot of pent up demand for newer tractors in a lot of areas! We have run away from the question orginally asked here and that is a comparison of three tractors and really one probably shouldn't be in the group or I would consider it as a different solution to his tractor problem. All three are economy tractors, one with less horsepower then the other and only available in gear drive, one available gear or hydro, sold most in the hydro version and the other only available in a hydro. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-23          69407

"It seems strange that the numbers from the manufacturers keep showing that the Kubotas share is larger on units sold every year"

Well the thing is around here is that none of the farms have Kubotas. Those are the tratcors you SEE when driving around because they're either siting or working in the fields or rolling down the road. So it is possible that the number of Kubotas seems smaller than it really is. I say that because tons of the contractors have Kubotas but their tracotors aren't as obviously visible. The use them and off they go in or on a trailer. Sma ehting with homeowner tractors they sit inside 90% of the time so who knows what brands are owned really?

JD is very visible because of the farm tactors...and me of course :) ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-23          69408

"We have run away from the question orginally asked here and that is a comparison of three tractors and really one probably shouldn't be in the group or I would consider it as a different solution to his tractor problem. All three are economy tractors, one with less horsepower then the other and only available in gear drive, one available gear or hydro, sold most in the hydro version and the other only available in a hydro."

Well with that criteria you might have to get rid of the 7800 as well. At only 22 PTO HP it may not handle some implement as well as the 25.5 and 24 PTO HP NH and JD machines? After all I keep hearing that PTO HP is the true measure of a tractors capabilites, no?

Seems like the TC 30 will be the more powerful tractor all around and the 7800 and 790 each having an advantage over the other. Running PTO powered implements the JD wins and for working dirt and lifting things the 7800 wins.

The gear,hst,gst thing is all up to the buyers needs and preferences. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other.

I still think that these tractors will give the average users about the same performance accomplishing the average CUT users tasks. These were the first 3 tractors I looked at for my property. I don't think ANY of the choices would have greatly effected the jobs I am able to do or my attachment options.

Maybe the reason people check these models out is that they get you into a basic Big- 3 tractor at about the same prices.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-24          69434

Lawman, I believe you did mispeak as a gear drive will not keep up with a hydro on PTO work, the ability to vary the speeds of operation will overcome all horsepower lost on the dyno when you hit the field. Just one of the facts of life that doesn't change. It is good for about 10% from what I've seen. More is not always better! ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-24          69486

"Lawman, I believe you did mispeak as a gear drive will not keep up with a hydro on PTO work, the ability to vary the speeds of operation will overcome all horsepower lost on the dyno when you hit the field. Just one of the facts of life that doesn't change. It is good for about 10% from what I've seen. More is not always better!"

I could see what you mean as far as time spent cutting. The hydro can go different speeds in tight spots etc. and I might have to stop change gears, reverse etc. Even with the 2 stage clutch I am still wasting time. For most jobs the hydros ease of opertation = saved time and more efficient use.

Now out in a flat open field (most of the job for me) Given your 10% figure I don't see how a 21.6hp hydro will cut as fast as a 24hp gear. I just don't see how they are picking up any gain to make up the 2 hp loss. Presumable we are both cutting as fast as the machines can cut without bogging, how would the varying speeds help the hydro. It would seem the hydro with 2.4 less pto hp would have a little trouble even cutting at the same speed?

Not being a pain ,but am I corrct that the hydros gains are in the manuevering and varying speeds dept. and wouldn't apply to straight open field work? On my law I have no doubt I would be quicker with the hydro even with a 2.4 hp difference. In the horse pasture I don't think so???

P.S. Gotta' to keep these threads going , I've never had more posts for the week than Chief. Gotta' catch him while he's napping! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-24          69488

One of the reasons a gear may be picked is because of the roughness of a field. When someone has the chance to speed up when not so rough, or to speed up do to less being cut, or on the headlands to turn around faster to head back there area a lot of reasons! The first time I saw it done and was involved was with a farm tractor rated at 95 horsepower gear with a one speed shift on the go, and one at 90 pto but a hydro. At the end of the field at the first turn aroundd the hydro was already headed back when the gear drive got there. All machines were set up by the same people and both tractors were dyno'd. Good luck on gettting over Chief, he does sleep alot don't worry about him to much! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-24          69515

You know me Scott, I gotta have my beauty sleep. ;-) ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-24          69545

You know me Scott, I gotta have my beauty sleep. ;-)

So I've heard. :) ....

View my Photos
MITCHC

2003-11-27          69779

Might want to concider resale value. My experence in Canada is that if you buy green you sell green. Don't know if it is the same in the U.S.A. I Think That Kubota also has great resale. I went with the 790 because of resale and dealer location. Also I found that Deere was the best line for stocking a wide variety of parts. (No down time was big for me ) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-27          69782

Down time is costly, you are right about that. It is always good to look at a tractor that doesn't have a healty repair list history for your purchase. We often see that the lack of additional service and the unexpected repairs and downtime often exceeded any increase of preconcieved actual resale value. When you think of when you are going to be using your tractor as a hobby on a weekend or evening it is critical to remember that your use is normally when the support system for your tractor is not available. For the contractor working during the day there are options on nearly every corner in town. Purchasing new does or should help from having unexpected repairs. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-02          70081

Before I bought my B-7800, I research all the 3 major brands of which Green was the closest dealer, but he didn't want to deal and seemed to be bothered by me asking questions. The dealer I went to was a Blue dealer that also sold orange. The dealer asked what I was looking to do and if the bells and whistles were important to me. He said the blue and orange were very close but the blue cost more, therefore I went orange. I think the big 3 are so close that the dealer will provide the separation as it did in my case. I wanted to actually go green at first after all of my internet research, but sometimes paper work is not always best. By the way my wife digs the orange machine. That's the only chick that matters to me!!!!! Good luck with your purchase. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-02          70088

Chalk up some chick appeal for the orange guys!!! ;-) Maybe the greem M&M Theory needs another look? You did exactly what I would have done were I in your shoes. I have seen exactly what you are talking about at some Deere dealers. The arrogant attitude chases customers away. You still got a real nice tractor from and dealer that sounds like he will work with you. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-02          70119

There are arrogant dealers around regardless of brand. In my sampling of one JD dealer, one NH dealer, one Branson dealer, and two Kubota dealers the only arrogant one I found was one of the Kubota dealers. All the others were very friendly and helpful so hopefully that is the norm rather than the exception. I don't think there's a relationship between any given manufacturer and the arrogance of their dealers though. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-02          70122

I agree that it doesn't matter on the brand when it comes to arrogant dealers. It's just that there was only the one Deere dealer fairly close to me. There were 3 orange dealers close to me. One of them wouldn't return phone calls and the other told me I needed to show up there and talk to him. Lucky for me the third was a charm and he also sold blue (their main tractor). I like all 3 of the tractors and in my mind the dealer and price was the determining factors. My wife had to drive it when I brought it home. She loves the hydrostat but hates the cold weather so I can't see her plowing the driveway before I get home from work when it snows!!! She had to operate the bucket and it scared her when it picked the front of the tractor in the air. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-02          70130

Not to stir the pot. I am new to the board and am curious of those with thee experience, thier opinion. As I looked at my Options of Blue / Green / Orange /other colors of the raibow in the used catagory, I did note that what you find used is Green and Orange. It is hard to find Used Blue. Is this becuase there is so much more Orange and Green? Or is it something else? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-02          70131

Where are you looking for used tractors? In an area that has a strong green and orange presence there will be proportionally fewer blue tractors available. Where we are Green dealers outnumber Orange dealers by almost two-to-one and Orange outnumbers blue by another two-to-one, so comparitively there aren't as many blue tractors on the market. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-02          70132

Actually I have been doing searches nation wide. Just looking at the Classified at this site. I even did a search for used at NH Home page and got a list of a variety of other tractors. I just have to ask " Is Blue that well liked by their owners that they don't sell? Are there just not as many out there? I mean NH has been around for a while and I know they haven't always made CUTs. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-02          70133

Either they are well liked by their owners or maybe they just don't last that long and are taken to tractor heaven!! Just kidding, but that is a good point. I've noticed that too, but didn't NH compacts used to be Fords? Maybe some of the searches don't capture that? I noticed that on the classified board here that all the NH listed are fairly new, like in the 2000 years. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-02          70134

Good point on the Ford NH identity. They were also the last major company to go with compacts. Our old Ford deaaler down the road originally had Kubota and gave it up for the shibaru Ford NH tractors. Has been on the phone with Bota ever since trying to get them back! ....

View my Photos
moosefishing

2003-12-02          70138

I know you did not ask me for my 2 cents worth, but here it is anyway... Stick with a dealer who can give you service after the sale. Kubota makes a good product, so does John Deere... however both manufactures here lately are offering machines that do not have some of the bells and whistels that you may need later on. I believe that this is a marketing stragity to become more competitive with other HIGH QUALITY tractors. (such as the ones I sell) In just the last 90 days I have had customers come into my store with a green or orange tractor that want to purchase a front end loader, or add power steering...only to find that it will be many $$$$$ just to put on the hydraulics to operate the loader, or steering...The consumer, in an effort to stretch his hard earned dollar, managed to purchace a "name brand" machine that did not have any hydraulics on it.(what I call a stripped down version) or perhaps the machine was not equiped with power steering. Customer was informed that an aftermarket power steering unit was avalable. This is true, they are avalable. But I've never operated an after market-add on power steering that I was satisfied with. And I have tried several of them!!
Here is one example that is in the shop right now. A green tractor with an aftermarket front end loader and an after market cab.. Yes the coustomer saved some $$$$$$$ up front, but now he will pay. He has injector problems, and his hydraulics are very week. (due to little or no preventative manentance) You cannot remove the hood without removing the cab...You cannot remove the cab without removing the loader.
Please do not misunderstand me for I am thankful that the machine is in my shop, when he pays his bill I will get to have milk with my post tosties. I do wonder why it did not go back to the green place.
As far as the name brand blue tractors: I am not able to say very many good things about them other than the city purchases them and brings them to me to be fixed. AGAIN, I only say thank you.
Sir-- Stay with a dealer who will take care of you 3-4-5-10 years down the road... Let him make a little money and he will be there with a smile on his face when you need him the most. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-02          70141

A manufacturer like Kubota or JD makes a wide spectrum of equipment. Less expensive equipment is made because there's a market for it. For a machine to be less expensive requires that some of the bells and whistles be eliminated. Why should a buyer buy lots of hydraulic doodads that they don't need? On the other hand, a good dealer will characterize the customers stated requirements and properly equip a machine to meet those needs. This is where the quality and honesty of the dealer come into play, and where I believe many buyers are penny-wise and pound-foolish. If the customer insists on buying the cheapest tractor on the lot regardless of dealer recommendations, or if they articulate their needs and a year later decide they have NEW needs, that is neither the dealers or manufacturers fault. And the buyer will pay more in the end. ....

View my Photos
moosefishing

2003-12-03          70164

Sir;
I agree with a lot of what you have stated, but not all of it... For a machine to be less or more expensive that another will have many variables to contend with. For example a green tractor. Dog gonnit, its green. That fact in itself will comand a higher price. (that is good marketing, and good buisness, and a good mark up on the green tractors part. My hat comes off to them.) I sell 2 lines of tractors. One of which manufactures the 5320,5520,5420, and the 6610. These machines are green with all the appropriate decals on them that make them reconized as a high quality "green" tractor. on the other hand sir, I purchase the Branson tractors. They come from the same country, factory, same steel, engines, transmissions, hydraulics, bla, bla,bla. They are less expensive. Same tractor, only they are red, not green.
Do I have bad feelings toward the green machines? No way. Frustrated, yes. To me, the challenge is to sell a good quality machine at a lower price and still make money. I can do that by providing the service my valued customer will need years down the road.
There are many people out there who will only consider a certian brand. That's OK, this is America. However I am old enough to remember the bitter lesson that Toyota put upon GM, Ford, and Chrystler back in the 70's.
Again sir I state the importance of doing buisness with an honest dealer. (regardless of the brand name). When the name brand dealer down the road puts the screws on someone, I thank the Lord, and figure out a way to steal his coustomer. Ain't America a wonderful country to live in!!!
Have a good day sir ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-03          70166

As far as someone purchasing a tractor without the bells and whistles, I can't feel sorry for them because in today's world there is so much information to be had if you just research. Before I bought my B-7800 (a stripped down version of the B2910), I researched the tractor to determine if I could do without the bells and whistles on the 2910. I decided for my needs that I didn't need the extra bells and whistles. If my needs change, then I will research once again and determine if I should get a new tractor or have the one I have modified to fit my needs. Research is the key to a good purchase which includes dealer research. My dealer was very honest up front and told me that if I was looking to added something that required rear hydraulics I may not want to go with the 7800.
And as I have said before orange, blue & green are all good tractors and the dealers all over the country vary for each brand which is why the distribution is like it is. ....

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN

2003-12-15          71218

BUY KIOTI 3054 AND THEN GO ON VACATION WITH THE 2000 TO 3000 DOLLARS YOU SAVED. PLUS YOU GET A VERY SOLID TRACTOR WITH BETTER WIEHGT COMPARABLES THAN THE OTHER TRACTORS YOU WERE LOOKING AT ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-15          71233

What's this weight thing for a lawn mower?? They can't be to heavy as they will rut up the lawn. When it comes time to trade you might get that vacation time money back. Wasn't to long of a time ago on another site like this I brought it up. Sure did fetch me a bunch of E-mails from people that feel they made a mistake and don't have the money to buy there way out! No offence but you may have the dealer representation needed in your area but others seem to be having a lot of trouble selling theres! If your interested I know they would like to get close to book value if they could. I think that to look at the Kubota as a standard of the compact tractor industry I don't see them lacking in the hydraulics I actually get to see the rest trying to keeping up. To offer the economy tractor is a way for some one to get started with one that otherwise might not be able to afford one. The new financing programs have made the payments reasonable to more households then ever before. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login