Go Bottom Go Bottom

Problem with tractor

View my Photos
babygirl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-07-11          187623

In 2011 a white puff of smoke came out of tractor and it died and would not start. Was told it was locked up and that someone put coolant instead of diesel gas in the tank. Any suggestions on what I can do as I can not afford $5,000 for repairs?

Thank you so much!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Problem with tractor

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-07-11          187624

First off welcome to our little corner of the Internet!

Secondly if something happened in 2011 it should've been look at it then, the time that's passed between then and now may have done more damage than what happened back then itself.

Having said that, all may not be lost, these little diesels are pretty durable.

I would at the very least start with emptying the fuel tank and ensuring there's nothing but clean fresh diesel in it. Next remove the fuel injectors and trying to crank it over. You should have diesel spitting out the lines to the injectors, and nothing but air spitting out the holes the injectors came out of.

If it won't crank over, or does and liquid comes out, you have a problem.

Give it a try and let us know the results.

Best of luck. ....

Problem with tractor

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-07-14          187640

Babygirl,

My best guess would be that the original problem was related to a blown head gasket, which could easily allow engine coolant to enter the cylinders.

Over a period of time, water in a cylinder will cause the pistons to rust and freeze to the cylinder walls. This is referred to as being a "stuck" engine.

As Murf correctly pointed out, this is not always a cause for RIP for the engine. It is possible that the engine can be saved.

Remove the fuel injectors and pour a 1/4 cup of kerosene into each cylinder. plug the injector ports with a rag just to keep any dirt from getting in. Let it sit like this for about a week. After a week or more has passed, place a wrench on the crankshaft and attempt to turn the engine over. Work the wrench in both directions in very small amounts of movement, until the engine begins to turn freely. Once the engines begins to turn over by hand, use the starter to spin the engine over a few times. This will force any excess kerosene out of the injector ports. You'll want to stand clear of the injector ports, and make sure that you have a loosely draped rag over them to catch and absorb the excess kerosene.

If you can get the engine to spin over, it might then be time to tear the heads off and replace the head gaskets. At that time you'll also be able to inspect the condition of the cylinder walls.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login