Go Bottom Go Bottom

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-10-28          174822

OK I got my D1600 home, I put a new battery in it and when I try to crank it, it will make about 1/2 a round and it acts like it comes up against something, the guy I bought it off of said he did not know if it had a compression release, anyway he said he never had to use one that he knew of, any suggestions????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

help on cranking

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-28          174825

Did you see it running before you bought it? Did you drive it up onto a trailer to get it home?

There's a bunch of reasons why it might do that, top of the list is that there's fluid in the cylinder causing it to 'hydraulic'. Since you can't compress a fluid any in the cylinder will stop the piston dead.

Best of luck. ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92

2010-10-28          174828

I bought it before I saw it, the guy said it was running when he parked it about 3 years ago, it came with an almost new finish mower and it was a guy I work with, so I don't think he was trying to unload it. One thing that I noticed when I picked it up( wenched on trailer) was that the roof on the shed had blown off and the exhaust pipe did not have a cap on it. The oil does not show any signs of water. What would be the easiest to take apart to see if it had fluid on the cylinders? Thanks for the responce. ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-28          174829

The simplest would be to remove the fuel injectors from both the head and the lines to them from the pump, then wrap each line with a sturdy rag, stand clear, and carefully roll the engine over.

NOTE: The best way to roll over the engine is by hand to limit the possibility of damage if the engine is hydraulically locked.

NOTE: Fuel will likely spurt out of the lines at very high pressure, and any liquid in the cylinders will spurt out the empty holes if you crank it with the starter.

Best of luck.

help on cranking

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-10-28          174832

You should also check the diesel fuel for water in it and install new filters possibly drain the tank before you get gelled or worse fuel in the pump and injectors. At least check the fuel by draining some of it. ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92

2010-10-28          174835

Thanks for the help I have to work the weekend but hopefully Monday I can try this....Thanks again ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92

2010-10-31          174889

any pointers for me on taking the injectors out? I have never done this before. I am going to start on it in the morning. ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92

2010-11-01          174902

took the injectors out, rolled it over by hand and water came out of both cylinders, drained the fuel tank, oil and took oil filter off, will change fuel filter next. How should I clean the injectors? Is there anything else I should do before putting it back together? ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
Murf

2010-11-01          174903

The big issues will be if there was water sitting in the cylinders;

a) was it enough, and there long enough, that it froze over the winter?

b) did it leave the cylinder walls rusty or pitted?

If you're very lucky it will be ok, but if not, there's a real chance that if the water froze in there it cracked something, like a cylinder or piston.

You don't need to do anything to the injectors themselves. Just put them back in, then just barely snug the lines to them and (with fresh fuel in the tank) crank it over till you have fuel coming out at each injector. Then tighten the lines down and try to start it.

Be warned though. The fuel will spray pretty good, wrap a cloth around each loose fitting, and be gentle with the starter. It will likely take a bit of cranking to get it to fire up after opening the lines. Only crank it for about 15 seconds max, then let it sit for a few minutes to cool down.

Also, don't use ether to try to start it, really hard on a diesel. If anything use a little WD-40 down the intake.

Best of luck. ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92

2010-11-01          174907

Thanks for the info, it will more than likely be week after next before I get back to it as I go on hootowls tomorrow so i am gone from 5pm to 7am and when I get off Fri morning we are leaving on vacation, when we get back the next fri I will have another week off to mess with it.

Thanks again ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-02          174919

You going on vacation and leaving your tractor at home? Is that ethical?

This past Saturday was as good single day of vacation as there could be: sun shining, little breeze when there was some, sun shining and the dirt just the right moisture for working as I moved dirt to widen a pond damn. Watch ducks in the pond at same time. Just don't get no better. Oh and my wife kept bringing me snacks! ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92

2010-11-14          175129

got home from vacation and now am ready to start on my project, I pulled the fuel filter housing off this morning and there was no fuel filter in it, can anyone tell me what fuel filter I should tell my local NAPA store I need. ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-11-14          175132

Easygo;
No filter in the housing, that aint good!!
Either the prior owner didn't understand the importance of the filter, or didn't care.
It just don't take hardly any dirt or water to mess up a diesel fuel injection pump and either ruin or clog the injectors.
I'd take the line off that feeds fuel into the injector pump and drain everything from there back to the tank. Go to NAPA for a filter and whisper a prayer that things aren't too messed up.
Frank. ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-11-14          175134

KT;
You are making South Carolina sound more and more appealing. Not too hot, not too cold, play in the dirt all 12 months, and just getting the drift that you aren't in the wall to wall people district.
Up till this weekend we had one of the most perfect falls in recent memory, but I'm afraid reality has set in, a few snow flakes today. I was even just moving dirt from one pile to another pile then taking it back to the first pile just to enjoy doing it. The Mrs. just don't understand tho, she even hinted something about me being nuts, and no snacks were served.
Got any real cheap farms for sale? I'd kinda hate to sell out here tho. In today's paper 140some acres about five miles north of me is still open for cash rent bids, current bid is 305.00 per acre for a two year contract.
Frank. ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92

2010-11-16          175172

First off thanks for all the help so far, I got the fuel system bled up today and the tractor runs, actually it runs pretty good, starts without pre heating and does not smoke any at all except a little black smoke. Now I need to drain the rear end and gear box, my question is will they drain and fill together or seperate and what do I use in them? ....

help on cranking

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-17          175198

Frank, we are having more and more farms popping up for sale. Too many for me. Boy your land rents a lot more than here, I rented ours the last two years for either $20 or $25 per acre. Then our yields are lower than yours by a good bit but the math may work better here with the rent difference.

Easygo: on the gear boxes are they all together such as transmission and rear end or do you mean front axle and rear end? If the later you will have to drain and fill separately. If the first my guess is single drain and fill. If you must do separately then there will have to be separate fill and dip stick or what ever method they use to check the oil level. As to what fluid you need no idea.

help on cranking

View my Photos
easygo92

2010-11-17          175212

Thanks, yea I mean the rear end and gear box, I will get them drained and just put a good gear lube in it. Thanks again ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login