Go Bottom Go Bottom

tractor stalls after 1 hour

View my Photos
bigbuc01
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-17          171599

I recently purchased a 1980 Mitsubishi d2050 2wd tractor. The tractor starts and runs great. After about an hour of use it loses power and quits. I let it sit for an hour then it starts and runs again. I did a complete tune up, including radiator flush. Anyone know why it stops running after an hour.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-17          171601

If it's a diesel I don't know how you'd do a complete tune up, so I assume it's a gasser. But either way it could be a dirty fuel filter, or a clogged/calcified radiator which may need to be recored. Or it could even be a restricted fuel cap vent. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-17          171602

A little more info would be good.

Does it show running hot by gage or radiator boiling over?

It could be a fuel cut off or if a gas some part of the electrical system getting hot and shorting out and cooling and thus running again.

However the first thing I would do is when this happens pull fuel line loose and see if it is flowing. Think you will find trash floating in there or fuel with gunk in it. Could be a filter, in a line or in the tank. If you have a clear fuel filter you may can just look at it to see if the fuel has stopped.

View my Photos
bigbuc01

2010-06-17          171625

It is a diesel. It does not have a temp gauge but the radiator is boiling over from the overflow when this happens. I did replace the fuel filter on the line, not sure if there's one in the tank. Do you think it could be a thermostat or waterpump? Thanks for your help. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-18          171627

Reread my post. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-18          171628

And describe the tune up you did too. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-06-18          171629

Hate to admit I am jumping on to EW band wagon here but want to add to his thoughts on over heating:
Are you running a proper antifreeze mix?
Is your air filter clean?
Sure there are no insect nest in the air system?
Have you tried washing out the fins on the radiator? Don't use high pressure or you can damage them. Use a good detergent.
Sure the water pump and thermostat are good?
And one of the lowest price is how is your fan belt? Even if slipping a little that can cause major loss of cooling. It normally pumps the water and drives the air so there is a load on it.
But the lowest cost one is, sure you are not over loading your tractor or using higher gear to pull load than you should?

I would check all down to the cooling system (radiator, pump or thermostat) and if it still does then get hold of a remote infrared thermometer and check the radiator for hot and cold spots in it. You might need someone to test this.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-18          171645

Kenny I see you followed through with the English nite classes at the local high school---no misspelled words! See! I knew you could do it! ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-19          171660

Like the others, I can't wait to hear what your tuneup consisted of.

Try a new rad cap too, and if it still overheats, it could need a new head gasket. ....

View my Photos
bigbuc01

2010-06-19          171661

The tune up was. Changed all fluids and oils. Changed gas filter and air filter. Flushed radiator 4 times. There is no thermostat on the tractor. I took the housing off today and there was not one there. I tried to find a replacement but no one local carried one. The belt on fan is tight. Water is circulating in the radiator. I did spray the outside of the radiator with a garden sprayer to clean the vents. I am running a 5 foot brush hog. ....

View my Photos
bigbuc01

2010-06-19          171662

There is no water in the oil and it has plenty of power for 1 hour. I not sure it would be a head gasket. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-20          171669

Good, but that work is ususally termed servicing or maintenance. All else you could have done was power-flush the block with rad cleaner.

Many compacts don't have a stat and installing one won't help in the least. But the seal on the rad cap can deteriorate and not pressurize the system. And it's simple to try undoing the fuel cap when the problem starts.

In the unlikely case that the exhaust gets plugged after an hour, it's usually easy to remove the pipe as a test. Wear ear plugs.

To test for a bad HG, check the levels of engine oil and coolant to see if either goes down in use (if one goes down and the other up, case closed). Try to detect either fluid in the other (some engine shops have a tester made by Snap-on that sniffs a sample of coolant for engine hydrocarbons). But as common as this problem is in older diesels, it doesn't usually show up as stalling after an hour. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-20          171670

Auer, what compact water-cooled diesels don't have stats? Never heard of that. Diesels have a small range of operating temps for optimal performance. ....

View my Photos
bigbuc01

2010-06-20          171672

Sorry for not knowing the correct terminology, I'm a newby. Thanks for the great advise. I never thought of the muffler but, I assume this would be similar to a catalytic converter on a car. The gas cap does not tighten and fuel seeps out when I hit a bump. I put a rubber gasket on it but, did not help because cap won't tighten. Would this effect the engine after an hour of use? ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-20          171674

Many Yanmars smaller than mine rely on what they call "Thermosiphon," the spontaneous circulation of the coolant from temp differentials. (Stats are needed in cold temps, and it doesn't get very cold in Japan.)

The fuel cap is supposed to leak. If the vent gets plugged the fuel draw over time can result in a partial vacuum in the tank. Obviously not the problem here.

Diesels don't have cats so the exhaust system is only for quiet and deflection. It can plug from animals, broken parts, soot, etc. Suddenly impeding the flow after an hour is unlikely but possible.

Does the engine slow before giving up? Seems too obvious to mention, but maybe the throttle-position holder loosens, allowing the return spring to slow the engine. ....

View my Photos
bigbuc01

2010-06-20          171676

Yes the engine does slow but even when I give it the gas it won't go, just dies. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-20          171678

Don't know if it's an overheating problem or a fuel glitch between the filter and the engine. Maybe you can find a tractor guy who'll tackle a Mitsu motor, a service manual, or another owner who knows those systems. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-06-20          171679

Diesels need three things to run, fuel, air, and compression.

If it starts and runs normally then it's probably not a compression problem unless there is some thermal expansion causing reduction in compression when it gets hot.

If it has a glass fuel bowl you might compare the fuel level in it when it's running to the level when it's stalling.

I had a car once that had a weird stalling problem. It turned out to be a crack in the rubber air duct between the air flow sensor and the intake manifold. Shouldn't cause a problem in a diesel but it's worth carefully inspecting the air system anyway.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-20          171681

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc01 | view 171676
give it the gas it won't go

DOH! There's the problem---GAS! You mean throttle. Joking aside---when I was 18 I was in charge of our manufacturing company's travelling trade show exhibit. We used a diesel truck (and a gasser pickup) to haul it that had a bad fuel gauge. As a precaution the owner told me to bring extra gas. Key word is gas. Of course we ran out of fuel. So the owner grabs the can of GAS I brought and starts to refuel. Maaaan he came unglued when he smelled GAS. He chewed my arse out but I told him if meant diesel he should have said diesel. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-21          171682

EW;
I'm far from recommending putting gasoline in the tank of a diesel, but a little story to go with your post.
Sometime in the 70's when the 4430 Deere farm tractors were current a man close to town had a new one with a loader. I was helping my parents in their Mom and Pop gas station when we had a blizzard with below something temps. This fellow drove the new Deere to town to clean drives, etc., the fuel was jelling but it was still running. He pulls up to the GAS pump, tells me to put five gallons of gas in the fuel tank. I was farming at the time but could only drool over a tractor like this guy had, "You're kidding me, gasoline in the tank of the new Deere", nope, put er in, OK, you're the boss. I don't remember how much the fuel tanks held, probably 50-60 gallon, so if it were half full that seems like a big dose of gasoline. The Deere smoothed right up and I never heard that she blew.
I have heard stories lots of times since then of "Oh yeah, we do that all the time", but I never had the courage to put gas in a diesel I owned, even after it was paid for. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-21          171685

The two points in all of this that strikes me as a potential problem are that when the problem arises, you are bush-hogging, and that the coolant is boiling over and running out the overflow tube.

If you are running a 5' bush-hog on a 25hp (when it was new, maybe) tractor that is an Asian spec. machine (convection only cooling with no stat) then I would expect it to boil over after an hour of work.

My suggestions would be to a) put a new rad cap on it, b) check that you have the correct ratio of (diesel) anti-freeze and water, c) add the maximum recommended dosage of "Water Wetter" rad additive and d) add a heat gauge, even if it's only an external one wrapped around a rad hose with a hose clamp.

Past that, keep an eye on the engine temps and when it starts to climb, back off a little and give it a bit of a rest, usually just slowing to a crawl will be enough to do it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-21          171686

I'll go with Murph. Just this once:)

You know, I've seen "diesel antifreeze" but wonder how it differs. (I originally thought it was the equivalent of "air for front-drive tires" or "glass cleaner for side windows.")

And I've long heard of "water wetter" but where can you get it? I'd like to try adding some to certain plant sprays. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-21          171689

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 171686
And I've long heard of "water wetter" but where can you get it? I'd like to try adding some to certain plant sprays.

I wouldn't recommend adding it to anything but a radiator unless you don't want those plants. It's not exactly the kind of thing a plant would like.

It's available at almost any auto parts place, in fact Can. Trash even sells it.

We've been very happy with it's performance. It's made by Redline, the people who make all the top-drawer synthetic oils and racing fluids.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Water Wetter by Redline.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-21          171699

I'm sure only Auer and Murf know what Can. Trash is; for those that don't it's actually a slur of Canadian Tire which sells everything under the sun in the northern hinterland. They even have their own currency or "paper money". Those canucks! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-21          171700

Auer and Murf---for plants are you talking about breaking the surface tension of the water and the leaves? Wouldn't a few drops of dish soap work in solution? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-06-21          171713

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 171700
Auer and Murf---for plants are you talking about breaking the surface tension of the water and the leaves? Wouldn't a few drops of dish soap work in solution?

They sell surfactants for the use on plants. I used to have a bottle but the label fell off so it probably got tossed in the last move. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-22          171719

Depending on how much surfactant you need. I used to get it in gallon jugs for farm crop spraying at a Co-op where crop spraying supplies are sold. It's been too long ago to remember a brand or a cost. For a small quanity a garden center may sell it.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-22          171721

Well, that was a hard left turn in the thread.

We were talking about surfactants, but certainly not the kind you'd want to use on a plant.

I was mentioning using "Water Wetter" to increase the efficiency of the cooling system in the OP's tractor engine.

And for the record, yes, Can. Trash is as EW mentioned, a large popular retailer of dubious repute, or at least their goods are; and yes, a few drops of dish detergent work well as a surfactant on plants.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-22          171729

Murf;
Yup, sometimes threads wander completly off the topic, and I'm as guilty as anyone else. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-23          171746

My troublesome weed is a ground cover called Ajuga that I understand has a waxy leaf surface, making it somewhat immune to broad-leaf herbicides. I thought a water-wetter or surfactant might make the lawn chemical more effective. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-23          171753

Auer;
The most troublesome weeds I dealt with were Lambsquarters with a real waxy leaf, and Velvetleaf which as the name says has a velvet like surface that spray droplets would just almost bounce off. Adding the surfactant done a bunch, the waxy leaf Lambsquaretes would have an even film of spray and the velvetleaf would let the product stay on the leaf.
Yup, I know Murf we're waaaay off the subject again, but some of us in the Geezer category get lost easily, not you Auer, just me. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-24          171781

I'm convinced to add some to my weed spray. But where to obtain? Murph, I checked the online CTC catalogue for surfactant, and cleaning products came up. I ask for it in various stores and get blank stares. (Mind you, I also get them when I ask where the john is.)

OK, GUYS, LET'S GET BACK ON TOPIC.

In the late 50s, "water wetter" had just come out (or at least I just heard of it). I was racing sailboats, and wanted to store some in the water tanks and vent them under the water line at the bow to reduce friction along the hull. Couldn't find any then either. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-06-24          171783

Auerbach,
Some farm chemicals come with a surfactant in it, at least here farm supplies stores do sell it by the gallon or so but simple liquid dishwasher detergent has worked fine for me. My guess is something like a tea spoon per gallon of water would be possibly too much. If you are using detergent I would suggest you take sprayer with clean water in it and spray some weeds, watch the water beading on it. Add maybe a half teaspoon or less even per gallon mix it well and spray same type weeds (not same ones) and look carefully at the beads or water. You can keep adding until you find the mixture is no longer beading but more like light mist.
However the professional surfactant is not costly if you do much spraying and shelf life should not be an issue. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-24          171788

Any elevator or coop where you see sprayers sitting around will have it. Dish soap may work in a small quanity situation, but not so well in 1000 gal sprayer tanks. It was pushed real hard by a big time piramid sales company once with their organic stuff, the name started with an A, you fill in the rest, Ok. Like foam city, then you had to buy a foam breaker to kill the bubbles. That idea came and went with a flash. Get the real stuff at the Coop. I don't remember what it cost, but pretty cheap I think. ....

View my Photos
MRALLS

2010-06-27          171873

I just bought a used Kubota L2500 to pull my Rhino 160 shredder. The tractor dealer told me the tractor would have no problem pulling a Rhino 160(which incidentally, I bought from the same dealer). The tractor has a temperature guage, and after about 2 hours, it shows it's in the red zone. The tractor shuts down after that - similar to yours. I just had the water pump and thermostat replaced, by the same dealer, and I'm still having the problem - so that may not help you either. My thought is the tractor just won't pull a 5 foot shredder. I'd sure like to think it's some other problem. I'd appreciate any help on this you gents can give me. Thanks ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-28          171877

You're on the right track--it's too much to pull. What I do when mine gets too warm is stop brushhogging and drive around a bit to cool it down. Also, cleaning out the radiator fins with a garden hose helps maintain cooling and cools the tractor down too. ....

View my Photos
MRALLS

2010-06-28          171886

Thanks very much Earthwrks. Do you clean out the fins when it is still hot, or wait until it has cooled down completely? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-06-29          171952

Think you will find Kubota says to keep water off of hot engine. But would think you would be fine to spray the radiator while hot. However to clear the radiator sometimes it works much better to spray it from the engine side.

One of the best methods I find it to just be honest on the tractor and the load and lighten it. Easy to do with a cutter, take a narrower cut or raise the cutter, or slow down. But do be sure the cutter has not issue like bad blades or gear box that is binding. Don't forget to check air filter, clogged air filter will cause it to run hot also. ....

View my Photos
MRALLS

2010-06-30          171969

Thanks very much. I'll check the air filter and follow your other suggestions. Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-06-30          171988

MRALLS, one other thought, what kind of tempature are you in while running your tractor? Our June has been about 10 degree hotter than normal and think you have also. I run a little smaller cutter behind about small HP B series and had to take it easy while in full sun. Slowing down or taking narrow cut was best solution for me. ....

View my Photos
MRALLS

2010-07-01          172017

Another good call. It seems like I never get started shredding until it's at least 95 degrees outside. I'll give it a try in the early morning and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-07-06          172107

WEBMASTER

I was starting to review this thread when it was taken over by an ad from Mitsubishi [cars] Canada. Ads on your site are fine of course, but popups are not. If you got paid for that intrusion and plan to continue it, bye. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-07-06          172108

If you got a pop-up ad on this site it didn't originate here.

I suggest you download and run a spyware sweeper on your computer, there are several good free ones out there.

It seems your computer is infected with some malware.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-07-06          172109

Good enough, Murph; thanks. (I have a popup blocker and the Kaspersky malware preventer, but there's always new threats.)

If interested, I registered successfully on Alexa and sent them a site review. After a couple of days of silence I sent another. Neither appeared, and there doesn't seem any way to contact them. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-06          172110

Auer;
I found only one TP review on Alexa a couple days ago assuming it was your review. It spoke of the Murf pipe, and I don't remember what all right now, but it was there then.
I will contribute a review after I see more from other TP people, maybe I can just say Amen to all the above and not say somethingt stupid. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-07-06          172114

I also made comment on the Alexa site. Have not been back to see it it shows or not. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-07-06          172117

The one review that's up is well written but it's not either of mine. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-07-06          172122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 172110
...and not say somethingt stupid.

Franky, (my hand on your shoulder looking down, slight heart-felt sigh, then looking up) that ship has sailed my friend.

Put yer helmet on! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-06          172125

Well yes, I knew I missed the boat somewhere along the line.

Oh, is that you I see standing on another dock watching the same boat sail away? Maybe they can turn around and come back for us. Well, I'm not sure you and I could be on the same boat, one of us would likely walk the plank before we got very far.
Aye, Maitie. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-07-19          172387

Bigbuc, did you get your problem solved and if so what was it? If you posted that and I missed it sorry.

View my Photos
bigbuc01

2010-07-19          172391

It was the fuel. Turns out the tank had a bunch of rust and crap on the bottom. I took the the tank off, dumped the old fuel, put new fuel in, shook it up then dumped it. Put the tank back on and filled with new fuel. Mowed for 6 hours over the weekend with no problems. Thanks for all your help!

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login