Go Bottom Go Bottom

engine Oil is leaking through the exhaust

View my Photos
paul100
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-06-08          183817

I have a massey ferguson 290 perkins tractor. the engine oil is leaking through the exhaust after I overhauled it. What caused it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-08          183818

If you're sure it's oil and not fuel, the leak could be in a seal, HG, piston ring, .... ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-10          183834

Likely a blocked oil return passage. Oil level gets too high under the valve cover, flows places where it's not intended; like down valve stems. Remove the valve cover, make sure all return ports are open. Alternatively, one or more bad/missing valve stem seals, or a bent valve stem in a good seal.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
shona13

2012-06-30          184096

Hi all.
Greg c I think you have been reading the wrong book sounds like you were reading a fairy storybook??.

Anyway If you give me the answers to these questions I will be able to help .
You overhauled the engine ?
What did you do to overhaul the engine Like pistons, rings, liners etc.

Did you use genuine parts ?

Did you check the piston ring gap before installing?

Is the fuel fresh that is do you know where the fuel came from and is it good clean diesel?

Engine oil ,is it the correct viscosity that is, is it the correct weight oil i,e 20/40.etc.

Is it DIESEL ENGINE OIL.

Is the oil pressure good with the engine idling ??

After the initial start and run say one hour did you retension the cylinder head and check the valve clearance should be .012 ".

If so did you put a plow or a rotary hoe or discs on the back and give the tractor a good hard run for say two/three hours?

Let me know and lets fix your problem
Regards
Hutch. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-06-30          184104

Don't know why you're dumping on Greg, who knows a lot more than you if you think the problem could be related to using non-diesel-rated oil. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-07-01          184105

I must correct one term I used. Instead of "valve stem" seals I should have written "valve guide" seals.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
shona13

2012-07-01          184106

G.Day auerbech.
I am not familiar with the expression dumping but I will hazard a guess and say that suggesting gregg ? knows very little or nothing about the subject in hand well yes I am guilty.

Back to the members question.
When troubleshooting, consideration has to be given to all variables .

To be able to offer advice .
First I do not know the member at all Therefore I know neither his level of knowledge Nor ability on the subject of rebuilding an engine.

The questions I have asked are to give ME information to be able to advise what the problem could be,you have just quoted an example:
For yourself to consider the type and grade of oil used in a diesel engine, Especially a rebuilt engine as not being relevant tempts me to think you are a close friend of gregg .
As I have said All the contributing factors to establish how he is at the point where he is with his tractor ,that is Lube oil coming out of the exhaust .
The questions I have asked are all Relevant in some way to help paint that picture.
Having been involved in the agricultural industry most of my working life and in particular Massey Ferguson products I have no doubt as to my level of knowledge on the subject and at this point in my life where i can select which restoration project I choose to do or otherwise I consider myself to be a very fortunate and gratefull human being.
This knowledge I have accumulated through EXPERIENCE I feel should not be lost and I am only to willing to share with anyone who may need it, I do not ask for reward for sharing ,just the satisfaction that I have contributed in some way to help other people with a common interest and love of tractors.
Thank You .
Regards .
Hutch.

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-07-01          184111

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul100 | view 183817
I have a massey ferguson 290 perkins tractor. the engine oil is leaking through the exhaust after I overhauled it. What caused it?
Before any of us gets to presumptive here, I think some clarification of the issue is warranted. I interpreted your question as regarding a rebuilt engine that was blowing blue smoke out the exhaust. I assumed this simply because of the fact that I can't feature raw oil dripping out of a conventional MF290 exhaust.

That said, all my tractors have had vertical exhaust systems. Is your 290 exhaust perchance horizontal?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-07-01          184112

Looks like the Thread poster has not responded since he posted his question :( Be nice if we got the feedback on the assistance and questions he has been asked. ....

View my Photos
shona13

2012-07-03          184130

G.Day gregg
Yes I have seen Quite a few tractors not only Masseys Spitting RAW Lube oil from the exhaust ,vertical exhaust, at this point I wont Hazard a guess But I am Fairly sure I know why the tractor is sick.
As suggested lets not be in to much of a hurry here.
Regards .
Hutch ....

View my Photos
rayfiell

2014-08-28          191007

You may need to hook it to something really big, pull its ears back and let it howl until the rings seat.

Chrome rings and or chrome cylinder walls almost have to be punished before they will seat.

My new 1997 362MF came from the factory with an extra half gallon of oil in the crank case and only when it was idling, oil dripped from the hole in the bottom of the p-trap in the exhaust. After several hours were accumulated on the tach the power cam up and the oil drip stopped.

It was at least weaker than a sick cat [at least one gear] until the rings seated.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login