Go Bottom Go Bottom

Massey Fergusen 1100 pto questions

View my Photos
ark1999
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-03-09          182706

I am buying a 1100 Massey Fergusen. The present owner says it has a slow moving pto. This tractor has been in his family since 1972, used for row crop farming. They never needed to use the pto in all these years. If anyone has experience with a 1100 model and have any suggestions,I would apprieciate any and all help. I want to use the tractor to pull a 5x5 round baler so the pto has to work.

Thanks Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-03-12          182733

Don't know the tractor but two thoughts: first test it yourself but if not reasonable at least look at the Tach and see if it shows a speed for 540 PTO. Think you will find that it does so think you will find it does have a 540 pto at proper engine speed. Now for the slow pto, a guess is it has the option to link the pto to the engine or to the drive train to only run when driving the tractor. My guess is that would be a lower rpm pto. Look for PTO levers to engage and select between the two options.

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-03-13          182736

I never owned a Massey but was around some that neighbors had, so just an idea about the slow turning PTO.
Are you sure the PTO is engaged or is it just coasting while in the off position. I seem to remember those tractors having a PTO shaft that coasted slow enough you could count the splines on the shaft as it turned anytime the engine was running. I don't know if they didn't have a brake on the PTO or if it was always out of adjustment and didn't hold the shaft from turning while in the off position.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-03-13          182743

Frank, wonder if that could be the transmission oil is thick enough to turn the pto shaft with no load on it? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-03-14          182746

KT;

That is a good possibility especially in colder weather, lots of fluid chrurning around in there.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-03-14          182751

If memory is correct think they used heavy gear oil so think very possible. ....

View my Photos
ark1999

2012-03-14          182761

Thanks for all the good information. I really apprieciate it. I am looking at the tractor Monday morning. After talking with the owner more, I think the PTO will be fine. He said it has an engine engage and a ground engage. After trying both settings closely, he said they both work fine. I will know for sure Monday. I will use the information I recieved here to help me make my decision.

Thanks to everyone ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-03-15          182767

Not saying he is not honest but having a tractor for forty years and never needing the pto...they must have had others for spraying and mowing needs. There was a produce farmer less than 2 miles of me who had a tractor for each implement and the best I know they were left hooked all the time. Just unusual to have the luxury like that. Did I mention he went broke? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login