Go Bottom Go Bottom

New to the site have a massey 1010 and have questions

View my Photos
matthewh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-04          90030

Hello all,
I just bought a massey 1010 compact. My questions are, what is the oil capacity for the deisel engine on this tractor?

Also, and this is my main concern. The tractor has a massey loader, and it seems weak. Tractor only has 350 hours.

The hydro fluid is milky looking, like it has air mixed in, and it looks low in the resevoir. At what level should the fluid be, what kind of fluid do I use, how do I change out the fluid (properly, without having to prime after change) and how much fluid should I buy. Also, is the hydro filter hard to find?

THANKS SO MUCH.

Matthew

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-04          90031

Sorry, can't help with your specific questions, but you might not want to run it much until you get all those fluids changed. Milky looking fluid has likely been contaminated with water and can cause some very expensive damage. ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-04          90032

thanks, i'm waiting to run it untill I find out about the fluids.
Matt ....

View my Photos
kioti1234

2004-07-04          90037

You have water in the hydraulic oil. If the tractor was left out side you may get water in a broken shift boot cover. Your tractor should take tractor hydraulic fluid. You should be able to get this any where. You should not need to prime the system at all. You may want to drain it again after about 50 hours to get the rest of the milk out of it. You can get the filter at a Massey store. It should take about 10 gallons. Good luck ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-04          90069

YEs it was left outside,and there is small tear in the shifter boot cover from horses!

SO i suppose this is my problem, it would also explain the weak loader performance. How do I know when it is full enough though?

Matt ....

View my Photos
kioti1234

2004-07-05          90142

You may have a small metal plug on the side of the machine, a quarter size oil window, or a dip stick in the rear of the tractor or near you left heel. I am not sure of your tractor model but look for something in the half way mark of your transmission or rear axle. Good luck ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-05          90158

I did'nt know these things were so complicated. Yes it does have a dipstick, and the dipstick goes halfway into the tranny. The oil was very milky, almost light butterscotchy. Would this cause weak power on the loader, even if the fluid level was where it should be?

Matt ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-06          90230

UPDATE, still need help.

I drained the fluid from the tranny case and refilled after replacing filter.

Still very weak loader. Goes up slow and has almost no lifting power. Can lift about 3 cubic feet of dirt thats it. What could be the problem.

Matt ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-06          90241

Maybe the next step should be to verify that the hydraulic system has the proper pressure. You'll need specs and a suitable gauge. Be careful because fluid under pressure can easily cause serious injury leading to amputation or worse. Do you have a service manual for it? It might be a good idea to invest in one if you're planning on doing your own maintenance and repairs. Is your 3 point hitch also weak? ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-06          90242

I haven't used the 3pt yet. The lift goes up though, and lifts me (220lbs). This is more than my loader lifts. I have a manual on the way. One thought I still have, I drained all of the fluid through the filter stud, but what about the fluid in the hoses? Should I drain again after running the tractor and refil?

Matt ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-06          90243

How much fluid did you get out of it? I would guess you should have gotten at least 8 gallons or more. Another thing is to make sure all the air is out of the system. Have you cycled the loader a couple of times throughout it's vertical and bucket roll ranges? ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-08          90370

Just saw that there was a 2nd page to the post list. I was wondering why no one responed!

I got about 6 gallons out of the transmission (this is stick drive). I refilled it, and notice no increase in power.

Just under and behind the seat is where the box that the hydraulic loader hoses is mounted. That is also where my wet brakes etc are. There is a threaded plug? that sits high on this case, and I loosened it and the fluid started coming out by the threads under pressure. I don't know what this is.

Also, what are the (approx 1 inch in diameter) pipes coming out of the control area (where the loader joystick is)? These have slots in the end of them that look like you could put a big standard screwdriver in and turn. There are two of them.

The man I bought the tractor from said it sounds like a stuck valve. I should have the manual in a few days.

Thanks for the help.
Matt
AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGG! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-08          90373

I don't know anything about this machine (and I am far from the most technially savvy guy here anyway) but if it were mine the first thing I'd do is get a pressure gauge and test the hydraulic system pressure. If it's not up to snuff everything will probably be a little weak, including the power steering (assuming a common pump) and 3-point hitch. If only the loader is weak I'd guess a valve problem, but you don't want to go around adjusting things without making measurements along the way. Hopefully somebody who knows more than I do will comment. ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-08          90380

How do you access/check valves? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-08          90382

Can't help you there. I have a JD manual, but it will likely be a lot different on your massey. I sure wouldn't attempt it without the manual.

I did have another thought on your loader lift problem. When it stops lifting do you hear a loudish whining or chattering noise? ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-08          90389

No, no noise, it just gives out. It lifts with no load, but if you put say 80 or 100 lbs in it, it won't lift.

View my Photos
radarr72

2004-07-09          90417

Ok, part number for the op manual is 1449042M1 if it is a gear model and 1449159M2 if its a hydro model.

Crankcase holds: 2.64 qts with filter.
Transmission: gear 3.7 gal of permatran III oil
hydro 4.49 gal of permatran III oil.
Permatran is the Massey name for universal hyd. oil.

Loader capacity could be limited by a number of things. If you oil is milky you need to drain and refill. If it is bubbles then you need to reseal from the suction side of the pump back to the transmission case. It can be sucking air and not leaking fluid. If a packing in the cylinders is blown it would limit the lift capacity, also the loader valve has a relief in it that may be weak or releiving to early.

Hope this helps.

PS> any mF dealer can get you the filters and an op manual. ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-13          90799

Well, thanks for all the help.

I got the manual, and I've removed and taken apart and cleaned the relief valve. No improvement. You can adjust pressure by adding or removing shims from the relief valve. I haven't done that, because I don't know if removing shims adds pressure or visa versa.

So, I guess now I need to 1. get a manual for my 1014 loader by mf, and 2. pressure test the hydro system.

Does anyone know where I can get a 2000psi and up pressure guage for this tractor.

Also any more trouble shooting would be helpful

Could this prob be in the valves where the loader joystick is located? ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-13          90802

I just took out a 1/4 inch shim and a little tiny (hair diameter) shim from the relief valve. Noticed no dif.
Matt ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-14          90902

Here is the history.

I bought a used massey 1010 with a massey 1014 loader on it. The loader is weak.

I drained and refilled the hydro fluid and changed the filter.

I took off the relief valve and cleaned it.

No serious improvement.

The loader will not lift more than 175 or so lbs.

The loader will pick up the front of the tractor if you put the bucket flat and then tilt it forward. The loader will not pick up the front of the tractor if you point the bucket down and drop the loader and force it down. It takes weight off, but does'nt clear the ground

I have an it manual but it does not cover the loader.

I tried testing pressure from the block in between the housing (where the 3pt hitch is located) and the relief valve, and got no pressure, but I think I'm doing something wrong since there has to be pressure to lift the loader empty.

I did not alter the shims in the valve.

The 3pt seems fine.

Is there something I can do at the loaders controls. Is there a seperate relief valve in it? This is quirky. There are many things on the loaders relief valve that are tempting to take off (to see if they are stuck) etc but I don't want to end up with a yard full of washers springs etc. because I don't know what I"m doing.

PLEASE HELP. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-14          90928

It seems to me that if your hydraulic lift cylinders can't hold the pressure and the fluid blows past the pistons this might happen. It's just a guess so don't run out and buy a new one before narrowing it down a little. I wonder if those cylinders are the right ones for the tractor. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-07-18          91223

If the cylinders are the problem they will leak or the loader will drift down rather quickly when loaded. I doubt they are the problem nor the pressure of the system since the bucket tilt will lift the tractor. That pretty much only leaves the valve. If you want a quick answer switch the hoses for the tilt functions and the lift fucntions at the valve. If the tilt is weak and lift now strong, you will know. The controls will be reversed of course ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-07-18          91240

more than likely removing shims will lower the relief pressure so you would want to add shims to increase the pressure. ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-18          91267

I will switch the hoses soon. I've left the shims alone for now. When I do the switch, if the loader becomes strong, is it then a valve within the controls? If so, how do I access them (just take it apart?) for inspection and cleaning.
Matthew ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-07-19          91367

yes , if the loader is stronger, it is the valve. I am not sure of the valve you have, it is obviously a two spool valve since it controls both lift and tilt. There may be a relief for each spool. Adding shims is how to make the relief higher. I had a log splitter that needed shims added. It worked fine afterward. ....

View my Photos
matthewh

2004-07-19          91386

I got the loader full of gravel and adjusted the threaded rod in until it lifted it. Its been a hassle. Thanks for the help, I learned alot about this hydro system.
Matthew ....

View my Photos
John Henry12

2004-08-02          92516

As I'm sure you know, you have problems. Water in Oil. THis WILL destory the pump. You can't pressure up water. You'll have to change filter. and check output of pump. I'm sure you can replace hydraulic pump with another brand name pump. I used to work for Commercial Shering Hydraulic pumps. There wont be a number change over but in a lot of cases you can take the pump to a dealer and they can change it over via gallons of minute and pressure type. I've got a 1010 it's been a great little tractor. Don't price a starter motor for it. Have yours rebuild as I did
Good luck.
Flush out system and check pressure releif valve if it's stuck or releiving to soon the pump will not be able to pressure up system as valve will dump to system .....blah blah blah I could go on for every.

JOhn Henry
Huffman Texas ( I've got a 1010 and a 231)

View my Photos
Dave99

2005-09-11          116246

sorry to interupt. I am borrowing a 1010 and cannot find the engine oil dipstick and hoped to get info from this thread. any help is appreciated ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login