Go Bottom Go Bottom

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Mrwurm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-13          36312

Found a dealer about 40 miles away that has a 1993 Massey 1250 with Woods loader, 4X4, shuttle. I have never seen a 1993 Massey and I wonder how they compare to the 1250 they make today. Todays MF1250 is 33 hp with power steering, live pto, and open operator station. I have only talked to the dealer by phone. He says this tractor has 800 hrs on it and is in pretty nice condition. $8,500. Would it be worth the trip to see this machine?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2002-03-13          36313

That would be a good price for that amount of hours. I don't know about how much the years would effect the price. What kind of shape is the tractor in?
JerryG ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Clemson

2002-03-14          36330

At that price it is certainly worth taking a look at. ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Scott S

2002-03-14          36333

That seems like a steal to me.

800 hours, with loader, for 8500?

Yes, I would think that is WELL worth a 40 mile trip.

I wish I would have had something like that near me here, I bought brand new.

That seems like a great deal, provided that it is in good shape, i.e. not rusted, etc. ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-03-14          36334

I have talked to this dealer via phone several times about buying a new tractor. I have never visited his lot. Lately, I have renewed my effort to find a used one to save some cash. Four months of looking is really starting to burn me out. It sure sounds like a good deal. I going to leave work early and make the trip today. I hope that I am not disappointed. Seems a little too good to be true. ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Andyfr

2002-03-15          36352

I have been looking for nearly a year now, over here in the UK used compact tractors aren't as widely available. I have seen an ad for some MF's, 1220 and 1250 hydro trans and 4 in 1 loaders, and would be interested in your opinion of the one you went to see as the dealer is over 600 miles away from me. ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-03-15          36353

My trip to the dealer has been delayed by one day. I'll be out there today (if he still has it).

Andyfr, I know your frustration. I bought a small compact (John Deere 650) about five years ago. It serves me well but I have been looking for a bigger one ever since. In my area there are two kinds of tractors for sale. #1, tractors nearly new for $13,500 or more. #2, 25 to 50 year old tractors for $6,000 or less. There is almost never anything in between these two ranges. When there is, it is sold in a day or two.

Jerry ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-15          36355

A search on Massey turns up quite a bit of discussion about Masseys. However, the search doesn't seem to contain Roger's fairly recent comments--'massey' must not have been in the subject header. Roger spoke well of one model in particular.

My dealer is several hundred miles away, and there are some difficulties working over long distances. Parts and advice by telephone works OK. Parts can be couriered, but there are two delivery charges for specially ordered parts--one from the manufacturer to the dealer and the other from the dealer to me. Couriers can’t ship some items such as oils and batteries. I switched from regular to multi-season hyd/tx oil, and I still have 5-gallons of the regular oil, because it's just too far to return it.

Of course the big problem is getting the tractor to the shop if necessary. I've had to do that once, and I don't have facilities to transport my tractor. I have the dealer transport the tractor. He keeps down the costs by extending runs he makes to a city about an hour from here and just charges the extra time and mileage. I do have to wait for him to make a run this way though.

Anyway my distant dealer has worked out OK even with some aggravations. It is good to know what the aggravations are beforehand.

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Andyfr

2002-03-15          36365

Even though the dealer who has these for sale is several hundred miles away there is a Massey dealer less than 50 miles from me. So there shouldn't be problems with parts or servicing. They also deal with Kubota but they seem to fetch more over here.

As an example of this the dealer who has some used ones in has a MF1220 with HST and 4 in 1 bucket with 700 hours and a Kubota B1750 with loader and cab with 1600 hours both for the same price. According to the dealer the Massey is in better condition. ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-03-15          36378

OK, I looked at the 1250 Massey. I guess I should not have expected too much for $8,500. The tractor is in useable condition but it was really rough looking. Engine compartment was so full of grease and grime that I really could'nt distinguish much. I know that looks are'nt everything but I hate to go backward instead of forward. My 20 year old John Deere is much cleaner and in better condition than this 9 year old Massey. I guess if I wanted a tractor just for grunt work and I did'nt care what it looked like it would be ok. It ran well and has 16 forward and 16 reverse with reverser lever on the dash. None of the gear sets were syncronized. (Lots of grinding) Good news though, the dealer is a New Holland dealer and said he has some great financing deals till the end of March on TC's. I'm going to talk to him on Monday about the details. ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2002-03-16          36408

Mrwurm,
Moving on might be good. I love my MF 1250, but if it grinds in every gear it may have a problem. 3rd and 4th gear in each range shouldn't have ground at all, they are syncronized. Or they was at one time.
JerryG ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-03-17          36417

JerryG, this tractor has a selction of ranges on one shifter, four gears on another shifter, and a reverser handle on the steering column. Every single one of these produced grinding, especially the reverser. Maybe the clutch needed adjustment? Also, side panels were bent-up, hanging loose, and pretty grimey.
JerryW

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-17          36426

Carver was running some specials not long ago, and there is a dealer in Virginia I believe, that posts here and has great prices. I communicated with him but can't find his e-mail address now, and he would transport it for a charge. Also Art White, and advertiser here occasionally has used machines. He had a TC when I called about trading mine in last year, and didn't really want another one on the lot at the time, but you might check with him. Another one in NY is Emerichsales@aol.com, he e-mailed me when I was discussing the trade on this site, and was anxious to help in any way he could. I don't understand a dealer having a used piece of equipment for sale and not taking an hour or two to degrease it and install new filters and fluids. That alone makes it look more valuable. ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-17          36438

I looked at and tested a new 1250 last year. I brought it home for the weekend and tried it out on the dirt pile. All but the shuttle tended to grind on it and it was less than 100 hrs.
Peters ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-17          36439

I believe coming to a full stop and double clutching helped. ....

Road Trip for a Massey

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2002-03-17          36448

I don't know what is wrong with those tractors or maybe shifting style. Mine shifts like it was made to. They will not grind going up 2-3-4 and going down 4-3. 1st and 2nd are not syncro but you can go up from 2-3 because 3rd is. Most of the time I shift mine through all the gears with out grinding or very little even on the 1-2 shift, If I'm paying attention. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login