Go Bottom Go Bottom

MF 261 ill not restart

View my Photos
poapony
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-11-22          195957

Hope this does not get to long, Tractor MF 261, 2300 hours,4 cylinder Perkins.

Recently had to replace the fuel uplift pump, fuel line from tank to uplift pump and the filter. Uplift pump was leaking. Bled the fuel system and started right up.

Next time I used the tractor ran fine for about 30 minutes, was going up a slight hill in a pasture and engine sputtered but kept running. Drove about 50 yards and engine stopped and would not restart. Re-bled the system and started fine made it back to the gate and died again. Fuel gauge read low but not empty, checked the tank and had about 5 inches of fuel. Re-bled the system again and tractor fired right up, next day started tractor and let in run at idle for about 20 minutes with no problem. This was about 10 days ago.

Went to start tractor today everything was fine used for about 30 minutes and while going down road engine would slow down slightly then go right back to normal speed did this for about a quarter of a mile. Was doing it more up hill than on flat or going downhill. Went to drop off a round bale in same pasture and tractor died and would not restart. Re-bled the system tractor started went to next pasture going up hill and it died again. Got it out of the pasture and tried to re-bled the system twice and will not start.

To bled the system I loosen the small lower bolt on the injector pump and crank until fuel came out which was right away, then loosened the small upper bolt on the injector pump and cranked but hardly any fuel or air came out. Then I started with the injector closest to the seat and cranked until fuel came out and moved to the next injector. At the third injector the tractor tried to fire for a couple of seconds but would not start. Normally this was the time that it would be running.

I suspect that my injector pump might be bad as when I bled the injectors the fuel did not seem to have a lot of
pressure. Fuel did not squirt out like when I bled the injector pump.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MF 261 ill not restart

View my Photos
minimac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-12-01          195970

Sounds like you are the correct track. ....

MF 261 ill not restart

View my Photos
poapony
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-12-01          195972

Ended up taking the tractor to the dealer, the more I bled the system the longer it took and the shorter it would run.

As usual with my luck the lift pump I bought and installed on the tractor was bad. Took the tractor in Monday and they asked if I was using it and I told them yes as I needed it to feed round bales of hay. Dealer said they would get to it asap but they were pretty backed up. Got a Call around Tuesday lunch and said my Tractor was fixed, thrilled beyond belief. I asked what ended up being wrong thinking I had missed something very obvious, that is when they me the lift pump I purchased two weeks ago was bad. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login