Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydrostatic drive trouble

View my Photos
austin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-09-10          195768

I'm new to owning a tractor, this spring I bought a 1989 MF 50E industrial tractor with loader and box scraper, front wheel assist. I assumed there was a safety/speed switch in my tractor. ( It would build speed and rpm until about 2100rpm then felt as it jumped to neutral, let off the pedal and allow the rpms to come down then the tractor would go forward again. Doesn't happen in revrse.). Using my tractor the other day and slowly as it warmed up i lost forward, reverse still works just fine. If i cool the beast down for a while forward works again for a bit. So i'm thinking that there has been something wrong for a while. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have a service or owner's manual yet.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-09-16          195789

Yours is not a hydro but a torque converter drive. There is a lot of difference in the two! You may have a sticky valve or weak spring but the fact that it changes as it gets warm and that it works in the opposite direction says it more then likely might be a valve issue not the torque converter.
To have both directions weak would mean that it might be the torque converter. ....

View my Photos
austin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-09-18          195793

Thanks for the info. I took the electronic solenoid and hydraulic valve off, to check o-rings and seals, also checked the electrical side of things and everything was okay. I also changed the trans filter. put everything back together. went for a test drive and now it works better than before. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-09-20          195805

The wrong oil will give you a lot of grief as well as potential costs later. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login