Go Bottom Go Bottom

MF 40E Tractor stalled will not start water in fuel

View my Photos
1airwolf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-06-16          183913

I was driving my MF 40E in the field. Pulling a new holland mower-conditioner. I had experienced some problems because the hay was so deep that it was wrapping around the drive shafts. So I put some plastic sheeting (sort of like cardboard on made of plastic) underneath the machine, and this seemed to keep the grass out from under. But I turned a 90 degree turn, and the machine just died. As I try to start it, it does not seem to be getting diesel fuel. I suspect that the high grass has reached up and pulled off a wire somewhere, I am thinking to some kind of sensor that has a safety kill switch to keep the engine from running, such as an oil-low level sensor, or something. I have the operators manual, the service manual, and the parts manual, and they all are no help.

The reasons I suspect this wire - kill switch problem is that it was running fine, and died just as I turned the corner, no coughing or anything, like I had just pulled the fuel valve shut. I had some transmission fuild spillage, but nothing abnormal. It had been overfilled a bit. Levels seem normal. HELP! I really need to get my hay finished.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-17          183918

If the turn dislodged your weight and there's a safety cutout under the seat, I'd bypass or jump that one first. ....

View my Photos
1airwolf

2012-06-17          183920

good thought. But no weight-kill switch.
I have tinkered a bit more. I used a LITTLE bit of starter fluid, and the engine would start, but run only until the fluid was consumed. Clearly a lack of fuel. But is it a kill-switch killing the fuel? Or a blown fuse (to an electrical pump, presumably)? Or a bad pump? or a fuel obstruction?

Anyone got any other ideas of a troubleshooting procedure?

Thanks for your input, sir. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-17          183921

Is the pto disengaged?

Have you crawled underneath and examined all of the wiring harnesses underneath for damage and checked all the fuses? ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-06-18          183923

You do seem to have a good approach but does not the Engine section of the Service Manual include a no-start trouble-shooting guide? ....

View my Photos
1airwolf

2012-06-18          183924

Thank you KWSCHUMM and AUERBACH for your help. I have checked wiring, and I have checked fuses. Believe it or not, I have all books for this machine, and there are NO troubleshooting guides. The workshop service manual just tells you how to accomplish certain tasks. No troubleshooting. But I think at this point, any troubleshooting checklist generally would help. I want to first figure out which components of my fuel system are electrical, because I still suspect electrical problem, since the problem was so sudden. If there were a mechanical blockage of the fuel lines, I would have expected some other symptoms other than instant loss of engine power.

Please keep those suggestions coming. Unfortunately, it has rained now on my otherwise very dry cut hay crop, before I could bale it and store it in the barn. I have not had that experience before, so I am not certain whether I will be able to dry it out and save the crop. But either way, I need this tractor running, to turn the hay with the rake, and to bale it if I can dry it out. THank you guys for your kind help. The internet is great, isn't it? I have a guy from Toronto and a guy from Oregon, thousands of miles away, concerned enough to offer me help. It is heartwarming, and very much appreciated. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-06-18          183926

First you are certian there is plenty of fuel in tank, not just trusting a guage? How about fuel filters?

View my Photos
1airwolf

2012-06-18          183927

Fuel in tank. I did not check filteryet, because I just changed it about 15 hrs ago. But I will check today. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-06-18          183928

It's now easier to contact someone across the globe than down the hall.

I'd guess that hay briefly wetted and then dried would store as well unwetted. But feed last-in first.

Cranks and tries? Does imply fuel. (A diesel has to crank faster than a gas engine to start, so make sure the battery and starter seem OK.) An electric pump's terminals presumably should show 12V. If so, I'd use the parts drawing to undo the fuel connections one by one to see where it stops flowing or squirting. Starting at the filter (which would not have clogged in 15 hrs) may be simpler than at the injectors.

All else fails, have the nearest tractor shop send a mechanic on a service call. Shouldn't be a big deal. ....

View my Photos
1airwolf

2012-06-21          183976

Thank all of you for your kindness. I wanted to let you know that with the help of a friend we determined that it was water in the fuel.

We have drained it, changed the filter (which was wet) and are under way.

Your kindness will, I promise you, be repaid in my helping someone else. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-06-21          183983

For me most of the times it is simple things like you found. Big things seem to come with a loud noise.

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-07-29          184465

Diesel fuel filters (at least all those I've seen) feature a transparent bowl to let you visually check for a horizontal line in the fuel (indicating water below and diesel above the line). So keep it clean and inspect it regularly. Fancier fuel-bowls have a drain at the bottom to let you release any water. In pre-flighting a plane, you drain avgas from the lowest part of the tank into a clear container and look for such a line.

Water can come from condensation, especially with a metal tank (the tractor's or the fuel storage ones) that's not kept full. Or from rain in the cap vent, or sabotage.

A little water is tolerated because the fuel enters from the top of the bowl, so yours may have been full of water. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-07-30          184475

Also suspect water if not too long since a fill up. A station that sold off road near me the last tank I bought there (they closed right after buying the fuel) had so much water in it went through at least 4 if not 6 filters that stop water. Now the station I buy my off road is in process of closing (never had issue with their fuel in at least 4 years) so have to find another safe source. Odd in a area with lot of tractors and off road machines most the places that sell off road have closed. Even with them off road was not a main part of their business so the decline in commercial equipment is not the reason.

View my Photos
Murf

2012-07-31          184488

In most cases Kenny it's easier to just buy regular diesel, keep your receipts and file for the refund every so often.

The little bit of time & expense is more than offset IMHO by the savings in filters and grief not having fuel problems in the first place.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-07-31          184490

Kenny, please tell me about what seem to be water filters, which I take it differ from particle filters. And if they get water-logged, can you not dry them out? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-08-01          184496

Auerbach, I use the filter below on my tank. There are two filter options. One is only particle the other think like a dollar more will catch the water. No can not dry out the filter for the method it stops the water seems to trap it clogging the filter. As it stops water it becomes harder and harder to pump fuel through it. No idea on ethanol use.

My guess is most fuel filters for tanks would have both options. Not aware of such option for the filter on a machine.

Murf, understand on the taxes. Did that years back and not sure why stopped. Think one reason is the tax system to file for refund requires income from certain off road industries. Think I quit for a few years were not filing a tax return that qualified for the refund. Another reason was my understanding the off road had different additives the older engines needed or at least liked. ....

Link:   Fuel filter

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login