Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anyone know how to turn stuck engine on MF1155

View my Photos
saeldrid
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-18          161205

Think Perkins 540 engine is "stuck" on MF1155.
Anyone know how to turn manually to confirm? Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-18          161216

Little confused here--if you know it's stuck why do you need to confirm?

And you need to know why it's stuck: stuck as in water got in the intake, or stuck because it threw a rod.

If it's water, then you may be able to pour auto trans fluid in the intake and let it set for a week or so.

If it's a gear drive, you can try popping the clutch to break it loose. But do it on a firm surface otherwise the wheels will just spin and skid. And use the highest gear possible. If you pull/push it forward, only use those forward gears. If you pull it backward then only use reverse gear(s).

If you have clear access to the crank pulley, I have heard of using a wrench that fits the crank pulley (may have to fabricate one) and a long lever arm or breaker bar 8-10 feet long with a bag of cement hanging from it for weight. Over time the weight may slowly unstuck it. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-18          161220

While I've never done it myself, I'm told that you have to first pull the injectors (or spark plugs) and squirt a healthy dose of diesel into each cylinder 24 hours before you try to turn it over.

The light oil will penetrate and creep through any rust or carbon and hopefully act as both a lubricant and cutting oil to help limit damage to the rings.

Other than that, a REALLY big bar and impact socket on the crank.

Maybe if it's not really stuck hard, tugging it and dropping the clutch will work. That would put a lot more power to the engine than the starter ever could.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
saeldrid
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-18          161233

Thanks for reply earthwrks and Murf.

Bought it last week and it was running. Had small leak from water pump, so put in coolant (1.5gal low) and only ran few min to unload from trailer. Set few days and would not crank/start. Put on new Starter after finding broken Solenoid. Does not crank engine at all (so think it may be "stuck"). Have verified Starter circuit (starter works in bench test).

Started/ran ok from local guy who had it last week... but he is trader and did not known history. Do not think water in intake since it did run recently. Did not make any odd sound when running, so doubt thrown rod either.

Has Multi-Power Trans, so not suppose to push or pull start (not sure what happens if you do...it is manual trans w/ clutch, so what could be harm?). Manuals do not have this level of detail. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-18          161236

Ok, that's a whole different story.

It sounds like an electrical problem, a safety switch maybe.

Check that you are actually getting power to the starter when you hit the key. If so check the solenoid isn't giving you trouble also.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-18          161238

Could be a bad: ground, battery connections, relay(s), electronic module, loose wire(s), ignition switch, seat switch(s), or even a PTO or gear selector left engaged or in gear (been there--DOH!).

My CUT's ignition switch constantly acts up--but at $35-40 a pop and gone through 4 of them it gets pricey. My gauges won't work when the switch is acting up. I give it a wiggle and it works--until it fails again. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-19          161256

I am not sure on the model you have but think you will find the high low range level must be in neutral for safety switch there. Possibly/probably one on the PTO shaft and you may need to have the clutch depressed. Believe that is all the safety switches you will find on that tractor. My brother has a model below it and he ran into a problem with the safety switch for the trans. If memory is correct we hade to find the problem with volt meter. Think it screwed in on top of the trans near the shift levers.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login