Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 460 Cannot Engage PTO with Engine running

View my Photos
DomPug
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-10-06          200731

On a Long 460 is it possible to Engage/Disengage the PTO with the engine running? Cannot seem to do it on my tractor, and it makes no sense>

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Long 460 Cannot Engage PTO with Engine running

View my Photos
aerotox
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-10-14          200743

I have the same problem on a Long 445 tractor. Gnashing of gear teeth is certainly a problem with the engine running, even at a really low RPM. It is likely that your two stage clutch, the stage for the PTO, has allowed the clutch plates to seize together or the clutch is not adjusted properly. Be sure to press the clutch in all the way. Push it really hard. There is the physical clutch linkage that may need to be adjusted to release the PTO clutch or the "PTO" clutch plates clearance may need to be adjusted. Or, simply engage the PTO before starting the engine. It may be a little tough starting if the PTO has a lot of load on it. That works for my fertilizer spreader but it is likely not the best idea with something like a bushhog. You could try a fast move of shutting off the fuel and engaging the PTO lever when the engine RPM drops lower and then turn the fuel back on quickly to "start" the engine. That rarely works for me. I have found that adjusting the clutch plate clearance didn't help. The PTO clutch plates are likely seized together. I did find that when I used an auger in really dense soil the "PTO" clutch would slip a little with the clutch pedal pushed all the way in. Maybe I should try that a little more to let the clutch "slip" and maybe help to free the seized clutch. Best of luck! ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login