Go Bottom Go Bottom

Lawn clean up and leaf blowing

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-02          67815

Now that Fall is upon us; I am up to my eye balls in leaves. I have been using leaf blowers to blow the leaves into a big pile in my garden to decompose until Spring and I chop them up with the MMM and till them in. The leaf blowing thing is really getting to be a long term project. I have burned nearly 5 gallons of gas blowing leaves and half of the leaves are still in the trees. I try to keep the leaf build up to a reasonable amount so as not to kill the grass. I use a Stihl SR400 and BG85 currently and as I wrote in another post tried using the 72" mower to mulch the leaves. What are you guys doing with leaves and lawn clean up?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-02          67821

"What are you guys doing with leaves and lawn clean up?"

My friends are handling them right where they are...wind, sun, microbes and time! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-02          67824

The natural approach works well if you're in an area where it's accepted. We mostly have conifer needles and let them stay where they fall. On the long county road we take to our house there are lots of fallen leaves. After they fall they stick around for a few months and then are gone.

Too late here for any lawn cleanup anyway - it's been snowing all day. Earliest snow we've had since we've been here. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-02          67827

Chief, time for a 1080 Trac-Vac! ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-02          67841

"The natural approach works well if you're in an area where it's accepted."

If not I always leave a rake resting on one of the trees in front of my house. Anyone who objects is welcome to use it :) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-02          67843

Scott, now that's an idea I had not considered. Maybe the wife or one of the kids will take the hint? ;-) ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-02          67845

Funny Chief,

actually a few years ago the kids raked and I burned. Even with 2 barrels burning I could not handle the volume. I have TONS of leafy trees and although I open burn brush the leaves blow around on fire is too much for me to feel safe.

As far as composting with 6 horses I already have all the $***, err.... stuff I need :) ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-02          67856

The affect of fallen leaves on grass was the subject of a string last year. In my grassy fields (bordered by hillsides of oak), the oak leaves are definitely a problem. Ash and some other species tend to disintegrate, but oak leaves will congregate in bald spots and suffocate the grass. So I use a "Landscape Rake" to windrow the leaves, then over-mow them with a rear discharge 84" rear discharge LandPride mower. Oak leaves will rapidly disintegrate if they've been cut up. Sometimes I have to wait for spring to clean up using this technique, but I've always had good results. Never have had to take any of the leaves off the grounds -- just windrow, chop, and dissipate. By mid-May they're history.
jim ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-02          67860

In that case I will try the MMM method of chopping the leaves up this year and enjoy the fun of extra seat time on the tractor! Sure beats 4 or 5 hours of piling up leaves with the backpack blower every weekend. Has more of a Tim Allen touch to it as well! arrrgh! arrrrgh! arrrrgh! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-03          67879

I must not live in a good end of town or somebody else's wife just couldn't get there leaves raked fast enough so she borrowed my rake and forgot to return it. My next door neighbor is in her 70's, she has acquired a fear of tree's falling on her house at nite while she sleeps. A couple of years ago she called in a crew and had all the big maples cut down and was nice enough thought we should split the bill as they were on the property line. Didn't leave much other then on the other side of the house so I don't have it to bad compared to a few years ago. I really do miss those big boys though we even had a Burly maple that was pushing 48" on the stump that was solid. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-03          67924

WELL!........... I priced a TriCycler Mulch Kit for my 72" MMM today. Part # BM18151.......... Care to take a wild guess on price??????? Would you believe $280.50??????? Think I will just keep running over the leaves 3 or 4 times for that price. I guess if you want to play.......you pay. ;-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login