Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pasture To Roll put hoof marks

View my Photos
ThomasJ
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-08          160881

My wife and I are trying to decide if we should roll the pasture (about two acres). We have two horses and we try to keep them in when the ground is soft. Occasionally we give in when the weather is nice but the ground is still too soft. Thus we have some hoof marks about 3-4" deep with some turf torn off.

Does rolling in the spring help to remove the hoof marks? My thougt is that it will not (as least not completely)and will actually just serve to compact the soil, which in general, is a bad thing.

What do you all think.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-08          160887

It's a common problem that depends on conditions. Compaction slightly discourages turf growth and won't repair deep hoof holes, but if there are irregularities that could injure a frisky horse it might help a little.

I temporarily fence off a small area near the door and let them there until the pasture is more immune (and close the door behind them for the day because they need hoof-picking when they come back in).

You know, this site has an equine wing, called ManePoint. Back out and scroll to the right. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-08          160894

I'm not sure why you would roll anything right now with it being wet. And even if you did roll it, it will be destroyed the next time they walk there. Let it dry.

LOL I'm south of Detroit. And I'm a contractor. It was 70 out last week and I got two calls to move about 500 yards of dirt. One guy wanted topsoil spread and grass planted! WET, snow-soaked and nearly frozen topsoil--aka MUD?

Neither took into consideration that just because it's "nice out" doesn't mean it's a good idea or even practicable. The ground typically around here cannot be worked--- in a satisfactory way---until mid-May. Last March I spread 200 yards of "mud" and it still had ice crystals in it.

We usually are in or near a deep freeze until at least April--with 4" new snow on or about Easter day. In fact June 3, 2003 we had snow flurries!

I'd leave it alone. Hoof prints in soft ground pose no more a hazard that rolling the ground. In fact rolling the ground could give the horsees a false sense of ground stability since evreything is covered. If it's still hoofed-up as it were at least they know where NOT to step.

My neighbor has horses and had the same issue all year 'round. I trenched 600 feet to the creek and laid 4" perforated pipe for him. He hasn't a problem since. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login