Go Bottom Go Bottom

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
DH1983
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-03          109360

Has anybody every tried to press the lawn seed into the
soil with a lawn roller instead of covering seed up?
I heard of a guy that has done this with success,I
normally use a harrow to cover the seed but a roller
sounds easier, also the soil would not wash as easy.
Thanks Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
havoctec

2005-04-04          109382

Yes. That is the best way to seed grass. Since grass seed is so small it is very easy to cover it with to much soil for it to grow. It is best to loosen the soil first, spread seed, pack with roller.

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-04-04          109392

I just used a roller on my reseeding...it is coming up very well. ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
DH1983

2005-04-04          109421

Thanks Guys, I just bought a 6' Woods Gill Pulverizer to
do new construction yard work, really does a nice job,
then I put the seed down and made 1 pass over it with a
lawn roller, everybody was looking at me like I was crazy
so I thought I would ask the Pro's to make sure I wasn't
crazy....thanks Dan ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-05          109463

I'm glad you asked the question. I've heard of people having success with a lawn roller and I was looking to do the same thing. ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-06          109477

Hey, thanks. The timing of this post couldn't be better for me. We are putting in a new lawn this weekend, and was wondering about rolling. Sounds like a great way to go. ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj

2005-04-06          109482

What a great forum for bouncing ideas back and forth. This just points to the variety of reasons of why I joined.

I am working with a landscape architect (refer to previous postings). Over the weekend, the entire lot was sprayed with 2.5 gallons of Ranger Pro which is supposed to be Roundup equivalent; it was a matter or $70 instead of around $130.....made sense to me. That was the first step in getting the lot prepared for seeding later in the month. I plan on doing another application in about 2 weeks to get the newly sprouted weeds (which is about all that I have at the time). Then, the lot will get tilled. The irrigated area will get some organic matter or topsoil mixed in while the non-irrigated will not. Then both will get seeded; the irrigated area with high-traffic or sports mix (for the kids's soccer and cricket play area) while the non-irrigated (the vast majority of the property) will get a native drought-tolerant grass mix.

I was wondering about to whether go over the newly seeded areas dragging a piece of chain-link fence fabric, or to roll it, so that I get a higher gress seed germination. It seems the conscensus goes with rolling after seeding. Or will either one work sufficiently well? ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-04-06          109491

I've heard of using the chain link fence drag technique to get a nice level surface. Then use the roller for seeding. I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions/experience. ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
beagle

2005-04-06          109495

I have a 50' roll of chain link fence rolled around a 2" pipe. Have a logging chain hooked to both ends of the pipe and to the roll of fencing to keep it from rolling. Drag it around behind the tractor. I don't think you can buy a more effective leveler. It works super. ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-04-07          109567

wr5evk8jj , you might want to put the topsoil/organic matter in before your 2nd application. Keep in mind that topsoil is generally loaded with seeds and organic matter is usually cow patties which are also loaded with seeds.

You will be doing all that good weed killing then re-planing all kinds of weeds. ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj

2005-04-07          109571

Thanks for the great memory jog, cthonestguy.

We (my wife and I) had a absolute bonehead (and I am being kind) of a neighbor in about 5-6 years ago (when still in Australia). This moron's wife got a load of horse manure dumped on their driveway. They then proceeded to spread it around their yard. The one problem was that thier yard was terraced a level above ours. Quite a bit of that horse manure wound up in our yard, and especially close to fence area close to them. Even two years ago, and prior to moving back, I was still picking weeds out along the fence area.

I will keep in mind the weed problem with the "organic matter". Thanks! ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-04-08          109589

I've had problems with weed seeds in cow manure I've used. So far, the horse manure I applied this year isn't bad. The grass I spread it over is doing awesome.

I let a load of cow manure sit all last year while applying roundup to anything that grew out of it. Show cut down on the seen problem. ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-07-04          113044

Beagle,

Any pictures of that chain link fence roller you made to smooth out your top soil? It sounds like that's what I could use for a similar job.

B. Meyer ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-21          113739

Even with out the manure or the new top soil if you disturb the soil enough to let weed seeds see enough light to germinate they will. If possible spread what ever you are planning to spread and cultivate how ever you planned to. Level to your finished grade and then wait. About 2 weeks should do just fine before you spray one last time. This way here when you do finally seed you will disturb as little top soil "thus exposing as few new weed seeds" as possible. Pack and pray for water/precip. ....

Lawn Seeding

View my Photos
dieseltrctr

2005-08-27          115524

Running a roller over the seedbed is very effective. When it comes to seed germination, it is all about how well the seed comes into contact with the soil. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login