Go Bottom Go Bottom

railroad ties

View my Photos
strammell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-24          80945

Where can you buy good railroad ties. I need about 150.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

railroad ties

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-24          80947

There is a plant in Millport AL. I would look for information on the RR if you want the used variety. ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-24          80955

I bought mine from the local lumber company (William in Rhinebeck NY) for $10 each. They came in bundles of 16 - I needed 80 total for the poolyard extension project in my pics. ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-24          80957

By the way, what do you mean by "good"? Typically they are sold used - good on one side and bad on the other. Are you looking for "new" rr ties? ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-24          80961

Home Depot and Lowes both carry rr ties. ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-24          80977

I hope you don't mean RR ties as in creasote RR ties. Most states prohibit their use for landscaping purposes because as they decompose, they do contaminate the soil. I only use the new kind for my customers, PT SYP, which work out fine. Available at most Lowes and Home Depot. ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-24          80980

A/woods, what are the new type treated with? ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-25          81054

Good point about regs and creosote. I believe that around here creosote treated wood can be used but not for anything attached to a dwelling or some variation like that. A guy near here bought several logging trailer loads of them from an old rail line that was taken out of service. He couldn't sell them because most were in very poor condition and his landfill didn't want them. Some places they might not meet regs and could be hard to dispose of.

Another guy around here has several large piles of highway guardrail posts that didn't quite meet spec or something. We used some for retaining walls because they are 8" x 8" squared timber, which makes for easier building even if they are of varying length. They also are creosote treated but more lightly than rail ties. Neither the building code nor enviro police have showed up. ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-25          81056

I used the creosote rr ties in my project in my pics. Everything passed with the building inspector. He could find nothing in the code book that forbid them. Also - when I told them they were used and not new that seemed to make a difference.

Regarding pressure treated - I was told by the fence companies that even PT wood was soon going to be off the market. Is PT-SYP a new kind of PT wood? Or is it typical pressure treated wood? ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-25          81066

I've heard the green PT may disappear as well. I think the active ingredient is arsenic. Probably not so good to use PT wood for dog throwing sticks or in runs where there's a chewing pup. Maybe I'll eventually be sorry I didn't get more serious about buying 40 acres of cedar bush but good cedar posts and rails still are pretty cheap and do it yourself from bush is a lot of work. ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-25          81087

In Connecticut, arsenic based pressure treated wood is not to be sold, SYP is Southern Yellow Pine. ....

railroad ties

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2004-03-25          81113

I tried using untreated ties, called cull ties because they were rejected by the RR prior to treating for some flaw. They were mostly red oak, some white oak. I soaked each of 55 in a copper-based preservative solution. It may have slowed down the decay process by a few years, but now after 10 years, I had to tear up what was left of them.
A contractor used creosoted timbers from a dismantled railway bridge for a retaining wall on my driveway 15 years ago. It looks like it will last for 50 years.
jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login