Go Bottom Go Bottom

Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-04-07          192501

Hello folks,

I recently took down a large Elm tree in Minot, North Dakota. I thought I'd post a few pictures taken by the homeowner while I was doing the job.

This large Elm tree was mostly dead. It was beginning to pose a threat to both life and property. It was determined that the tree couldn't be saved, so it was scheduled for removal.

When taking down a tree of this size, many specialized tools are used. The entire climbing and rigging process requires many hours of training. Please don't attempt any of this without proper instruction.

This tree was far too wide to drop it in one piece. It was dismantled in place, limb by limb, until it was narrowed enough to prevent any property damage. Once the tree's weight and spread was reduced to a safe and manageable degree, we dropped the remainder of the tree into the back yard.

Pictures to follow.

Joel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-04-07          192502

Beginning my initial ascent into the tree, after setting the climbing line and rigging up with my safety gear.

Please note that my climbing helmet was damaged earlier in the day. It was unavailable to me for this job. ....

Picture Link
Garden and Landscape Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-04-07          192503

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-04-07          192504

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-04-07          192505

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-04-07          192506

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-04-07          192507

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-04-07          192508

This is the tree we dismantled. This picture was taken in early March. We took this tree down on April 1st. ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2015-04-08          192509

Nice work!

It has been a long time since I have seen trees removed with the rigging you set up. Definitely a complex skill.

I recently saw an enormous Oak tree removed near my Dad's house. I was surprised to see that they did not climb in the tree at all but instead arrived with a huge crane. They attached the cable to the chain saw operator and dangled him up in the air most of the time! At times he would attach himself to the tree and then attach the crane cable to the piece he was removing. Went fast, but too risky for my taste.

I hope you got the firewood out of the effort :)

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-04-08          192510

Dennis,

It's a very rare instance when a crane is needed for a tree removal job. A lot of tree guys are going with cranes now, due only to the fact that they can get the job done faster......regardless of the cost to the homeowner.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-04-13          192549

So Joel you were the young'un here, right?

There may be more to the crane than speed, it might be looked at favorable for insurance or claim reasons as we took the most impressive precaution we could. Not saying that it true, just a thought.

We had a large walnut tree taken down leaning over my wife's grandparents house and they did the whole job with ropes and climbing the tree. Two of them looked like monkeys moving around it.

For myself, I like long cable and heavy tractor with an area to drop it. If it does not fit that then bring in the monkeys.

My oldest son in law about two years back used my 5 ton mini excavator to dig some pines out of his back yard. I asked him was he comfortable doing so and yes was his answer. When he dropped the third one on neighbors travel trailer he was happy for me to dig the rest. One thing in open area, another when it matters where it lands. He was also happy for the insurance coverage as it did total the travel trailer with doing very little visible damage to the metal, said it broke the frame. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-04-13          192553

KT,

I don't know about being the young one around here. I just turned 54 on April 7th.

I know one thing for sure......long winters make for a very painful start to the Spring tree climbing season. The first week can be pretty hard on a guy.

I'm back in shape now. We've taken down about 20 trees since April 1st. I'm in the process of taking down 4 large Boxelders that are hanging over a guy's garage. It's a lot of work. A crane would be handy....but not necessary.

I just finished a tree row between two houses. The trees that we removed had to be taken down in sections, from the top down, as there wasn't enough room to drop them between the houses. 8 trees were removed in this fashion. Climb to the top, then start dropping small sections or limbs, until the tree is short enough to drop the remainder of it. Climbing 8 trees in one afternoon can cause an old man to walk rather funny for a few days. LOL.

Take care, my friend.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-04-28          192672

Youngen! Why when I was that young could climb two trees jumping back and forth between them. Wait maybe that was the monkeys tossing me between them. Oh well about same just little difference there.

It has been years since I put on set of spurs and climbed a tree, some what enjoyed the little I have done. Would not want to have to drop in sections as you talked about. Got good at tossing a light weight and strong string over a major limb and then pulling up usually a cable to wrap around the tree for pull from say 20 feet to even 30 feet height. Only had one that did not go great and that one proved the need for a heavier tow vehicle than a compact pickup with 2 wheel drive! Tree dragged it like wet doll baby.

Not sure if the 8 years difference is the more major issue or the 80 pounds as to climbing a tree. Be safe and send more pictures. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login