Go Bottom Go Bottom

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
skipll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-10-19          180943

I have cut down quite a lot of trees on my property & others. Some 100+ tall, growing 3' next to our cabin ( had help from friend with a 4X4 tractor). But I have one in my front yard that when felled could come close to hitting a telephone line.
So my question---Is there a way to determine the height of a tree accurately?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-10-19          180953

Skip, I did not realize there were trees in your region that grew so tall. Impressed Will not give you the smart donkey answer that Earthwerks will, sure tape measure and tree spikes. :) ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-10-19          180955

If the tree (call it t) throws a shadow, measure that. We'll call it s. Plant a stake of known height upright. Call it k. Measure its shadow. Call it ks.

In the equation t:s::k:ks (a simple ratio) you know all the figures except t, so just solve it for that, which will give you the tree height. ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-10-20          180957

To determine the height accurately with limited tools I have used some geometry. I took a framing square and a level. On the framing square I tape a yard stick at a 45 degree angle then tape it to the level. I then use this to sight the top of the tree on the 45 degree line with the level. The distance I am from the tree then is the height of the tree plus the distance from the ground I am holding the level. ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-10-20          180959

To determine the height accurately with limited tools I have used some geometry. I took a framing square and a level. On the framing square I tape a yard stick at a 45 degree angle then tape it to the level. I then use this to sight the top of the tree on the 45 degree line with the level. The distance I am from the tree then is the height of the tree plus the distance from the ground I am holding the level. ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
skipll

2011-10-21          180972

Dennis----not sure this will work as all of my property is on a 10° - 15° slope.
auebach---Your shadow method may work even though my property is sloped--not sure.
KT--Tape measure & tree spikes---not even gonna think bout that one LOL.
Could not try the methods yesterday--no sun & very cold--maybe today.
THANKS GUYs for the info. ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-10-21          180973

Skip, if you stand to the side of the tree and not up hill or down hill the two methods should work.

A different thought here, have you talked with the phone company on this. At least here sometimes a utility company will take down a tree to prevent possible damage to their lines. If they don't do that they may at least help with info on height and how to cable it for safety. ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-10-21          180974

If you have to stand at an elevation higher or lower you can calculate your elevation relative to the tree trunk by using a 2x4, a ruler and the level.

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-10-22          180981

The ground has to be level for the shadow method. If you make the felling cut 10 feet up, the tip will land 10 feet closer to the stump. (Use holding-ropes and helpers, because you want to be on solid ground when it starts to go.) ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
skipll

2011-10-22          180983

Aaaaa----- auebach----Good advise there---why in the world I never thought of that as the tree is is just with in close range to taking down a line as I See it. I do have a pole saw ( cheap ) that I could use as the tree is bout 8"- !0" ( & dead ) in diameter .
The shadow method did not work as the shadow ran off a drop off, then not seen.
The method from Dennis was hard to do---even though I have a talking level-----Think ya need 2 people for this.

HEY---Learned a lot here----THANKS Guys ;)

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-10-23          180985

Polesaws cut horizontal branches; you need a chainsaw. You COULD be up a ladder with a saw; lumberjacks sometimes "top" a tree that they're on. But you never know exactly what a falling tree will do.

I would tie two good ropes say 20' up. If you can't tie them to something, the lower helper holds one in the direction of the fall, the upper helper holds the other opposite. You chainsaw on a ladder say 10' up, both ropes taught. Just before it's ready to go, you come down, the upper guy slackens off, and the lower guy pulls to start the fall and runs. If he uses a pulley, he'd be safe even if he trips. ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
skipll

2011-10-23          180987

You are quite rite bout pole saws auebach----Don't know what I was thinking (or was I EVEN thinking at all). Oh ya--chain saws---I have 3.
As for a ladder---well the tree is dead---one 10' top has already fell out. So putting a ladder on it is not a good idea. However I think I can get my excavator rite next to it----it has a very strong canopy ( can't remember what that is called---maybe FOPS ? )---I have stood on it before--just for the heck of it.
For now I think I will leave it be as I don't think the whole tree will fall over & I came across some birch & maple the power co. cut down along the road.
Thanks for info. ;) ....

TREE HIEGHT

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-11-18          181257

You can call it FOPS for Fall On Protection Structure. But you're looking for Roll Over PS, usually two strong but open bars to prevent an overturn from squishing you, whereas you need a solid roof. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login