Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to apply Calcium Chloride to 600 of gravel road

View my Photos
iowaguy1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-23          119733

Hello. I was wondering if it might be cost effective for me (the homeowner) to apply CaCl to the gravel road that parallels the house?

I am having a difficult time finding a place to buy it in bulk.

Typically we pay a company to apply the liquid solution when they are in the area. But I would like to try applying it as needed.

If anyone has suggestions/tips on how to apply it myself (e.g., flakes or liquid, method and rate to apply) I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-23          119739

Why? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-23          119741

In the dry season CaCl helps to keep dust down. It's probably useful in the winter to melt snow and ice too. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-23          119752

We use liquid now, but used flaked, spread with a 3pth spreader for many, many years.

We used to buy it in 40 kg. (88 pound) plastic bags by the truck load. Most farm supply / co-op's sell it also, both in 44 & 88 pound bags. It is advisable to get it this way since if it is exposed to moisture it absorbs it so rapidly it turns into a solid block in just days.

We find the liquid far more versatile to use, especially since it is a truck-mounted spray rig we use it year-round now.

It is not just a dust suppressant, it also goes a long way to consolidating the road surface, this in turn makes potholes and washboard a lot less prevalent.

Coincidentally, I got a fax about an hour ago, apparently one of my drivers picked up about 1,000 gallons of it this afternoon.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
iowaguy1

2005-11-23          119753

Thanks for the informative replies folks!

Murf, is there a way a person could spray the liquid on a gravel road/drive without spending a great deal on a specialized spraying rig?

Where would you suggest that a homeowner could buy the liquid? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-11-24          119767

There could be several sources for liquid. Also there are different names for some different varieties of the stuff. We also use one called mag-cloride.

Check with your local highway dept they will know who the local venders are. Also ask them about dust oil. Dust oil will knock down the dust but it won't tighten up the gravel, like Murf said. Dust oil may be less expensive also and last longer.

If you only want to look in Yellow pages look under asphalt suppliers, sand & gravel, stone etc. Of course calcium or chemicals.

This year had some of our main calcium sources dry up. Currently we are railing some in and storing for next season. With that thought our dust oil became more comepitive for dust control.

Some of it comming from Canada by rail.

To do it yourself, with liquid, I'd get a 55 gal plastic barrel, plastic fittings and valve, drill 1/4" holes 6" apart and go for it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-24          119772

Harvey beat mne to it, but he's right, a plastic tank and some PVC piping with holes drilled.

Gravity, cheap and reliable. LOL.

As for sources, check with your local roads people, or with any place that sells fertilizer, if you have a Cargill, Dupont or other large chemical manufacturer / distributor around you.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
iowaguy1

2005-11-24          119775

As a matter of fact I had already checking with the local highway/transporation department and they said their contract was with a company in Wisconsin (FLOR-DRI SUPPLY). I contacted that company and they said they don't have a local distributor (I'm in Iowa).

Murf, you mentioned that, in the past, you used a "3pth spreader". What is that?

What is the dust control application rate for flake and liquid.

Happy Thanksgiving!

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-24          119777

Iowa, a 3pth fertilizer spreader is readily available everywhere. It is basically a large funnel with a spinning, finned (PTO driven) disc underneath the funnel.

The material, usually fertilizer, drops onto the spinning disc and gets broadcast into a swath of variable width, depnding on how fast the disc is spinning, how fast the PTO is turning, and how fast the tractor is travelling.

The rate at which the material drops, and the speed of travel determine how thick or thinly it gets applied.

The link below shows a typical model.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Befco spreaders.

View my Photos
iowaguy1

2005-11-28          119968

Oh! "pth" is 'point hitch"! I was trying to figure out what that meant. Thanks for helping. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Does anyone happen to know what rate to apply flake or liquid CaCl?

Is there a certain amount per square yard? I don't want to under/over saturate the area.

Thanks.

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-28          119981

As strictly a sdust suppressant you can get away with as little as 2 pounds per square yard.

If you want to solidify and make a more permanent treatment, you should go to at least 4 pounds per square yard. You may however wish to do this just after a good rain when the ground is well saturated, otherwise you need to find a way to get at least 4" of penetration to be effective.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
iowaguy1

2005-11-28          119994

Thanks Murf.

I would consider doing more than 2 pounds per square yard of the flake so that I could solidify the surface but the county comes along with their road grader and would undo the work!

As solely a dust suppressant, how much liquid do you apply? It seems like I could be more accurate with the distribution of the liquid especially if there is any kind of wind blowing. ....

View my Photos
iowaguy1

2006-01-15          122796

I was at Menards (big box home improvement center) and they had various ice melt products. Some of them were pellets that contained Calcium Chloride but they also had Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, and/or Sodium Chloride. But it didn't say how much of each. Does anyone know if these ice melt products that contain some Calcium Chloride will work as a dust suppressant?

Are the Calcium Chloride dust suppressants that you use 100% CaCl?

Thank you. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login