Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota How to Improve Coolant Protection Level

View my Photos
retcol
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-09-25          200709

I wanted to change the coolant in my Kubota 4330. After i drained the system I put fresh water through it twice and drained it. Then I filled it with 50/50 coolant. I checked it to see how low of temperature. It was minus 20. I then put some straight antifreeze in the overflow tank, but the temperature still wasn't low enough after running the tractor for 90 minutes. What do i need to do to get the temperature down to -34? Doesn't the coolant circulate through the overflow tank as the tractor is running?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greyhorse
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2021-09-27          200712

Quote:
Originally Posted by retcol | view 200709
I wanted to change the coolant in my Kubota 4330. After i drained the system I put fresh water through it twice and drained it. Then I filled it with 50/50 coolant. I checked it to see how low of temperature. It was minus 20. I then put some straight antifreeze in the overflow tank, but the temperature still wasn't low enough after running the tractor for 90 minutes. What do i need to do to get the temperature down to -34? Doesn't the coolant circulate through the overflow tank as the tractor is running?

Since I found out how deadly anitfreeze is to dogs I am super carreful with it a tablespoon spells dire consequences for them and since it seems sweet to the them they lick it.

Anyhow, many years ago in my careless dasy I would flush the system with water like you did. I now think that was a problem first in that systems do not like tap water. Second you cannot get all of that tap water out, just not possible.

Now I only drain as much as I can and add 50 50 mix to fill.

The overflow tank is just that when the engine runs and gets really hot and then you park it, the cooling stops and the engine can be hotter causing some relief to the overflow tank. Or other overheating situations. When the engine cools it can suck some collant back. The overflow tank is not a constant part of cooling circulation.

I would drain a small amount of coolant and add some 100 percent to up the protection level is not to your satisfaction. You must live someplace really cold :-) ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2021-09-27          200714

The above comment is correct, by flushing with fresh water you inadvertently left some clear water in the system. You actually need to add more than a 50-50 blend in order that the clear water in the system is blended in properly to result in the desired solution.

The difficult part now will be determining how much more antifreeze you need to add to end up at the correct ratio. I would suggest you drain as much out of the tractor as you can and then blend that container full of antifreeze / water mixture until you end up with a slightly stronger mix than you need. Then when you pour it back into the tractor and it gets blended with what's left behind a second time you should end up very close to your temperature goal. Drain the straight antifreeze back out of the and use it in the strengthening. Then use any leftover antifreeze water mixture to top up the overflow reservoir.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login