Go Bottom Go Bottom

Brush mowers

View my Photos
mdpinh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-12-22          188499

Hi I am in the market for brush mower. What models an size should I look at for my kubota L3010? Should I look at used or new?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Brush mowers

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-12-22          188500

Some points to begin with:
What will you be cutting? That will determine if rough cut or finishing mower.
How wide, if possible you need to cut at least as wide as the outside width of your rear wheels. That will be as wide as I think you will want for the size tractor hp you have.
I would begin new to get idea on price if nothing else and what brands are in your area for service work needs.
If you are looking used for rough cut mower for certain and even finishing mower would want to hear it run and would want to see it cut if possible. Check oil levels in the gear box, check the PTO shaft for loose universal joints, check there is either slip clutch or shear bolt and ask how they operate. You need to look at blades but they are consumer items but you don't want to have to replace above them.
Allow plenty of time for shopping use and look at ebay, Craigs list, tractor company such as JD and Case web sites. One thing that would concern me on this size rough cut mower is if they were using a light weight one on a tractor of say 50 HP or more as it may have been used very hard compared to what it was designed for especially if no shear bolt or slip clutch.
Not being smart here for no idea how much you have used a rough cut mower but they are dangerous,be careful. kt

Brush mowers

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-12-23          188509

Mdpinh,

It appears that you'll be able to use a 6 foot mower, but I wouldn't go any wider than that.

A used rear mounted mower is just fine, so long as you inspect for cracks in the decking around the gearbox first. I wouldn't buy one that has had a bunch of repair welds made to it in the critical stress areas (hitch arms, gearbox mounting area, etc.) A few welds in the corners, or where a rock has perforated the sheet metal is fine.

Check the skirting to make sure that it's not all rusted out. Many people neglect to clean the grass out of their mowers prior to storage, causing the mower deck to rust out. If the front of the mower is supposed to have a chain drape, make sure it's there and in good condition.

If these things check out, a good used rough-cut mower is just the ticket. No sense spending a fortune on something that's going to take a pretty good beating.

For God's sake......no children anywhere near one of those things. I've seen rocks the size of a football fly several hundred feet. Those blades are very thick and heavy. They will throw a large object a very long way. Not so good for use around buildings, children, or vehicles. Best for use in open areas away from the farmstead.

Hope this helps.

Joel

Brush mowers

View my Photos
charlieK
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-12-23          188510

I have a KUBOTA L3130 GST just 'bout what you got except mine has a few more bells and whistles. 30 hp like yours. dealer sold me a new 5' woods medium duty bushog when I bought the tractor new from him in 03. I have aquired 2 6' bushogs that I use occasionaly. the tractor bogs down in heavy stuff esp when crossing small gulleys with the 6 footers. the 5 footer works perfect and is not as wide as my tires but that is not a problem for me as I have the wheels set out as far as they will go for safety. I also assume you know a little bit 'bout bushogs or you would not be asking the question on this forum. Just my most humble opinion and hope it helps you. Buy a new or fairly new 5 footer!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login