Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B7800 engine shut down - no power

View my Photos
mbailey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-06          186595

just installed the alternator upgrade kit. started tractor and ran about one minute before it just stopped running. went to restart and now there is no power to instrument panel. absolutely no electric. battery is brand new. power is showing at starter and alternator contacts. no fuses are blown (50 amp slow blow on new alt wire kit and all fuses on right side main board). checked seat switch, no pto's engaged. Anyone come across this issue.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-06          186601

That sure seems about the time needed to burn a wire or circuit out. Are you certain nothing was wired wrong? I am not familiar with the upgrade. ....

View my Photos
mbailey

2013-04-06          186604

I don't think so, upgrade is pretty straight forward. coincidentally my buddy was using the tractor a couple of days before and he said the battery was dead. when I picked up the upgrade kit, I also picked up a new battery. did a battery check on old battery and its fine under test load. I still put the new battery in anyway and when I went to start it after installing the upgrade kit I noticed that it cranked slowly, and got weaker as it craked, exactly like a weak battery. It's got to be related. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and call in a pro for this one!! thanks for the response though, much appreciated. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-07          186607

There is more then one problem. I'd doubt that you have two batteries that have a bad cell but the old one still might.
The starter might be drawing more then it should but that can be checked.
The dash might be the ignition switch but it also might be the cranking problem. To not have it start when cranking, then there is a problem with the fuel shut off or power to it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-04-08          186608

It doesn't say if the tractor cranked on restart attempt, did it?

I think Art is on the right track though. The dash and fuel shut off solenoid are tied together.

I suspect you just missed noticing that the dash went dead at the same time it stopped. The stop would certainly be as you described if the fuel shut off solenoid lost power.

I would recheck all wires that were involved in the alternator changeover.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
mbailey

2013-04-08          186614

UPDATE...found the problem. rechecked all wiring and when I unwrapped the original wiring harness that goes from the dash to the starter/alternator I found the red power wire was fed into a plastic connector, with the red wire feeding out of the plastic connector on the other pole and then out to the starter. Inside the connector was a little aligator clip jump from one pole to the other!! (loose by the way) I have no idea what the previous owner was doing or even thinking about when he wrapped this cluster #$&* up. Regardless, cut out the connector reconnected wire properly and presto, lights to the dash and cranked like a spring chicken. On a proud note, the alternator upgrade works great. Highly recommended for anyone who is tired of the brake lights used for headlights feature!! kubota engineers dropped ball on that one!
Thanks for the input everyone, love this website. a lot of great insight from real tractor heads ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login