Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B7800 Front Blade Options

View my Photos
geauxtigers
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-12-04          181517

I'm trying to decide which way to go for snow removal on a B7800, tractor mounted front blade or loader blade mounted. I realize the tractor mounted front blade is strong and less likely to be damaged, compared to running a blade off the loader, so I would like hear comments on both and what the relative cost might be to do either.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-12-04          181518

Running a plow attched to the loader bucket makes for a very long overall-length. BUT you benefit from the added weight over the front wheels which you need for both traction and planting the tires to resist sideways action from the plow being turned and pushing snow. Price for each set up all depends on your abilities or access to fabricating tools. And your resourcefulness. I picked up a complete plow with A frame, plow blade and cylinder for $150. Then I welded two mounting brackets to a skid steer mounting plate for my setup. Mine's on a skid steer so I already had aux hydraulics for turning the plow--you will need the same for the front plow. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-06          181546

I'm working with a little more tractor than you, but the concept is exactly the same.

EW's comments above are all spot on, the blade on the FEL (front end loader) gives you far more benefit than issues IMHO. Stacking snow, or being able to push it out onto turf away from pavement but keeping the tractor itself off the turf, being able to push the tops off snow banks, etc., etc., etc.

I did (see pic below) like EW mentioned, mounting the blade to an adapter plate where the bucket normally goes.

All you need to do for the power angle is to add in a couple of 'tee' fittings and a 12 volt valve, or tether the curl cylinder so it can't move. Quick-disconnect fittings make hook up and removal fast and easy.

Best of luck.

. ....

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Kubota B7800 Front Blade Options

View my Photos
Silverfawn

2013-02-11          186180

Does kubota or any other tractor company make a plow like you have on yours? That is exactly what I need for my Kubota B7800! But I am not able to make one.. Need an angle plow bad! A snow blower is. Just too much more moving parts to break!
Thanks, great idea and picture!
I have chains on my tractor with a box blade scraper on the back, I think it would be enough counter weight. Plus the rear tires are filled with that new foam stuff for ballast.
My driveway is steep and 1500' gravel. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-02-12          186183

Several company's make them, but even if you can't fabricate it yourself, a local welding shop will likely charge you half what a commercial setup would cost. It's pretty straight forward stuff to cut down a light-duty truck plow and make up a mount.

If your FEL has a skid-steer style mount the base the implement half 'blank' can be bought for about $150 from many sources.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-02-13          186186

Curtis Industries makes them if you just want to buy one.

Curtis Industries makes them if you just want to buy one.<br>
<br>
[p]http://cdn.dreamingcode.com/public/72/FRONT_END_LOADER_BLADE_-_KUBOTA-72-3815-1.jpg[/p] ....

Link:   Curtis Industries

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-02-13          186187

As an aside, I remove my loader and install a Kubota subframe that can be used with several attachments including a front snow blade, or snow blower, or rotary brush.

These all work very well and have a much shorter length. But the loader mounted blade allows you have very high vertical lift for moving large snow piles which is very cool if you need it.

View my Photos
Art White

2013-02-14          186192

There is a lot of good info here but something we have found is that with the front blade off the loader frame it also reduces the amount of width of blade that can be used. The additional leverage gained from the front axle distance at an angle will push the front making it hard to manage. I'd think that a 72" at max is good if you are in a high snow area. I know that the snow is often dumped in higher amounts and that could mean trouble.
Most blades run there weight on the ground so it isn't a lot of help with ballasting the front end. ....

View my Photos
Silverfawn

2013-02-14          186193

Thank You for the information.........I think you have the right idea, I could take the plow off my bronco and have it made into one that will mount on the front of the tractor........ much cheaper way to go....... ....

View my Photos
Oldestguy

2013-02-14          186194

Hi All:

This idea sounds nice for some, but where I live and with a 500 foot driveway and bad drifting of snow sometimes two or more feet deep, I would still go with the simpler solution. The rear blade. Then with a bucket on the front I can pick up some snow and move it if needed, which I suspect would be difficult with the front blade.

In my experience, with rear blade plus the front bucket, I found the rear blade gets used maybe 95 percent of the snow removal jobs, and bucket is used sparingly.

Come later part of winter, and you are boxed in with the icy hard packed piles, the bucket goes to work to move that hard packed stuff out of the way.

At another site where I also plow snow off lawns, I turn the blade backwards and back up with no gouging of the lawns and it still does a fairly good good job in reversed position.

Finally, my experience with using a bucket to plow snow or to grade earth, going forward takes a good control or gouging of earth takes over. Back dragging helps. There again, I find the rear blade is easier to control to avoid gouging.

Then comes the snow blower on the rear. Nice when wind is in the right direction and you gotta get it clear of the windrow, but is rarely used by my neighbor with the same long driveway. He goes with rear blade and front bucket mostly. Snow blower is not used much. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-02-15          186201

The other big advantage of using a plow mounted to the FEL in place of the bucket is traction, lots of it.

When you have a plow as shown in my pics above, the entire weight of the FEL is is bearing down on the front wheels. If the blade is mounted rigidly (can't flex freely up & down) to the FEL, or you're using the bucket, the weight of the FEL is resting on the ground.

Huge difference in traction and steering.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
cutter

2013-02-16          186203

Murf is of course correct, however, I had the Curtis loader blade and got rid of it in favor of using the loader bucket and rear mounted blower. The loader blade would be fine if you plow commercially but I did not like it's functionality for a gravel driveway nor did I care for losing the use of the bucket. The one I had did not come off and on easily either. Murf's idea for building the blade from plow parts is a better one as it allows it to free float. Curtis does not do that unless you use the float function on the loader which will allow the front end to lift etc... ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-02-19          186228

Great news here, thought might need it this past blizzard. Came in Saturday and left us about two inches. It had melted by mid day Sunday..not enough time to hook up anything.

Now when we get our next hurricane will call on you.

Could not help but note "Ole Jeffery" was in this thread. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2013-04-10          186645

I'm with Oldest. Sold my blower and modified my rear blade:

Lots of extra weight to make up for not having power down. Increased the angle so its path is no wider than the tractor's track. Reinforced the mount so it's not stressed when backpushing hard. Installed various hitches so I can scoop up whatever trailer or implement I need to move. Fabricated a longitudinal wing so when I attach it, the blade becomes (at least at the outflow side) a sort of box-blade (for spreading soil or gravel). Installed a spill-guard so I can pull or push high snow without losing a bunch. ....

View my Photos
Silverfawn

2014-08-22          190981

Thanks guys,
It is time to decide, the plow truck is done and I have to either out a rear snow blower on and keep the bucket or adapt a plow for the front! Your input is greatly appreciated. I hope I do the right thing or this is going to be one long ass winter! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login