Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller

View my Photos
Gerald Johnson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-03          9404

I purchased a used Kubota AT70 rear tine tiller(the tines still had the paint on them) and now find out that you can't get it to dig down when the tines are in forward. Digs about 2 to 4 inches deep. Some of the dealers that I have talked to have told me that the unit is not designed right and best of luck with it. I bought it on Kubota's reputation, but seems this is a bummer. It will be the last Kubota that I will purchase unless there is some way to get it to till. Is there any one that has one and have you had success with it? I have tried wheel weight with some improvements. I also purchased dual tires, but that made it worse so now have a set of tires with on 15 minuts on them, and Kubota won't restock them.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
art

1999-11-07          9489

Gerald, the forward tine mode is for cultivating rear tine mode is for deep tilling. I don't know what kind of soil you are working with but they will dig down in the rear tine mode. This unit was one of the best built I've seen and yes I sell the troy-bilt to. You might want to change your speed of tilling with the chain case on the side. ....

View my Photos
Gerald

1999-11-07          9491

Thanks for the reply. I am useing it in black loam. The garden has been worked up but this unit won't pull itself forward if the tines are in reverse mode. It does't make much difference if the tines in high speed or low speed. If you try to use the tines in forward mode, it won't dig more than 2-3inches deep with out scooting across the yard. Any other ideas?Gerald ....

View my Photos
John

1999-11-07          9494

Bigger tractor?Seriously, you might be trying to use to small of a tractor (you haven't said what size it is). But just from what you've said, it seems like that is the problem. ....

View my Photos
art

1999-11-08          9513

Gerald, The bulk of the ground around around this area is gravel or clay, so I would think that this would be harder to work than your ground. For what you are telling me I would think that your ground might be a little tighter than what you think it is. If the ground hasn't been worked since this spring you might have enough compaction that you virtually have to start over. Do you have the owners manual? The info on page 29 tells how or when and how to use it for the best results. I'd be more than glad to fax it to you. CAll me at 1-800-859-4483 if I can be of more help. Art ....

View my Photos
Gerald

1999-11-10          9581

Art, it has been along time since I heard the phase tight ground but you are right. We refere to it as heavy soil (heavy pulling a culivator). I would like to slow the wheel rpm down but I believe the gearing is fixed. Any more suggestions. By the way you had more ideas than the dealers I talked to up here. I run the tines in slow and in reverse mode, wheel speed in low or 1st, and max depth (control bar set up at 7 inches)but the wheels still spin down and you have to push it to keep going. I sure think it is a great unit if I could only get it to work better. I have tilled the garden twice with it but still not happy with the job (deep and shallow depths). Thanks again ....

View my Photos
art

1999-11-11          9615

Gerald, when I ran them I to from time to time found I had to push some but I haven,t seen any that I thought were any better. I thought your duals would have helped and I don't have one to look at but I don't think chains would fit. To slow it down more in the forward tine mode when the ground is loose you might want to try fabricating your own depth bar to slow it down. The tilling originally of soil they recommend only dropping the tiller a couple of inches at a time that may get you away from the problem of having to push. Art ....

View my Photos
Jeff

1999-11-17          10186

Perhaps you could add creep speeds to your tractor? If you could make the tractor move more slowly, the tines would have more time to dig. Troy-bilt walk behind tillers could use a lower gear too, in my experience. ....

View my Photos
Gerald

1999-11-28          10417

Have had a reply from Kobuta Canada and they have given some good suggestion also. They suggest to increase the drag shoe and to add weight to the front. I will try this next spring and hope it works. Thanks for the help. Gerald ....

View my Photos
jarrett morgan

2000-12-06          22187

hi . I have one of kubotas tillers at-60 i love it i do landscaping 24 7 and it work with me everyday. if you dont want those dual tires i buy them . ive wanted duals for along time and that would be the answer. my tiller was hard to get used to but know i like it . it has flaws like the traction when you have it in reverse tine full depth , that chain case drags on the ground. my solution push a little works for me. i had a troy bilt 8 hp. thought it was the best not! that thing just sucks when the kubota pulls up that troy bilt wants to go to the shed cause it cant compete. jarrett morgan countyscape landscape iowa hey is your axle octogon shaped? ....

View my Photos
tlhaas

2008-03-29          152558

hi Mr. Johnson, would you like to sell your extra tires? how much do you want for them? tammy ....

View my Photos
tlhaas

2008-03-29          152559

hi guys, do you know where we can order parts for ourAT70s tiller. we need to replace the recoil. I can't seem to find the right web site to get parts. HELP! tammy ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-29          152560

Doubt you are going to get a reply from Mr Johnson this thread is 8 years old. Hey but he migh tbe out there somewhere ;) ....

View my Photos
jasonb

2009-01-09          159249

I just bought one of these with a plow. I am looking for attachments like seed injection systems. Does anyone have experience with modifying this model with seed injection systems or any other add ons?

I would really like to find a manual. ....

View my Photos
neumorphos

2009-02-02          160075

I'm looking to purchase a used Kubota AT70s tiller. Can anyone tell me what they're going for? This particular one is from the early 1990's. ....

View my Photos
CaptainDoug

2023-01-06          201431

I know this is an old post but, do you still have the Kubota tiller? want to sell it? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login