horsepower vs displacement : Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review horsepower vs displacement : Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-17-2003, 17:14 Post: 57863
johnfundy

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 horsepower vs displacement

I just read a reply on this board that stated the horsepower rating of an engine is less relevant than it's displacement. In essence, the comment suggested less horsepower from a large cubic inch displacement engine is better than more horsepower from a smaller CID engine. I disagree, but maybe there is some truth here. I understand "torque" as the act of doing work, frequently expressed in ft.-lbs. ( or newton-meters for Metric fans). I understand the rate of doing work per unit time, ft.-lbs. per second, is "horsepower". So where does engine displacement come into play?

John Fundy

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-17-2003, 20:38 Post: 57881
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

There are quite a few discussions on this subject in the archives. I don't recall this one but I probably did read it. I can only guess the reasons behind the comment but there can be various valid ones. For example, other things being equal a relatively low HP engine/displacement should last longer that a high HP smaller one. High HP/displacement often is produced by tuning so peak torque occurs at higher rpm, which generally means more engine travel per hour of operation. Other means of increasing HP such as higher compression places greater stress on components like engine bearings which tend to be smaller in smaller engines.

The reasons may not have had anything to do with engine life but could simply be a preference for how low rpm engines feel when they're working. Big engines with low HP engines often produce peak torque in a narrow band at low rpm's. The torque may be greater than in higher rpm engines. They also tend to have more rotating mass that gives them better resistance to load increases. There's a bunch of things that can be said for old iron and many people prefer working with such engines.

06-18-2003, 11:13 Post: 57927
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Tom pretty much covered it, but let me add a couple of things. Larger displacement engines deliver more torque. (Longer stroke is more important than bore size in an engine from the torque standpoint.)

Power or HP is the rate of delivery of torque to produce useful work and as such is essentially the engine torque multiplied by the RPMs and a factor to get the right units.

I have seen many tractor and engine specs where they will nudge out an extra HP or two by turning up the rated RPMs on the same basic engine by 10% or so. A 10% increase in RPMs increases the wear rate on the engine by 33%. (Wear is a factor of the cube of speed in RPMs) This is the wear rate during running, but in my experience running wear rate is less than the wear that occurs during starting.

Allowing the top engine speed to increase to provide a couple more horsepower does nothing to improve torque in the low end or mid range of the engine power. I don't know about you, but I spend much more time at mid-range of the throttle than I do at rated speed or full RPMs.

So, what does this all mean? A 28HP and 30HP engine might perform almost identically in the low and mid ranges if the engines are derived from the same basic mechanical block and have identical bore and stroke. The extra 2 HP may come from allowing the engine to rev out a little further.

One other example that you may recall relates to racing. You may have heard the term "qualifying engine." A qualifying engine is a very "hot" version of the standard racing engine. It will produce more peak HP with the same bore and stroke, but its life will be measured in minutes not hours. Its purpose is to put your car above the cutoff for the qualifing cars on raceday. You have to also remember that racing engines will get close to 1000 HP out of 2 liters of displacement by turning well over 10,000 RPMs, but they only last one race.

If a tractor manufacturer gets your business by specifying 30 HP over comparable models rated at 28 HP, then I suggest that you may want to look into this a bit further.

06-18-2003, 11:35 Post: 57928
buzst1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Hi John,
I'm guessing your refering to my comment. The issue is that there is no easy way for a buyer to compare tractors based upon HP rating because there is no standard means for expressing HP. ie: would anyone believe a 24HP Sears lawn tractor as powerfull as a 24HP Kubota? The Mfg's have the ability to publish a HP rating based upon any rpm they desire, regardless of the fact that it may be on the down side of the torque curve. An example of this is a comparison of a kubota BX2200 and B7500. Because the published HP on the BX2200 is 22HP and that of the b7500 is 21HP many people actually believe the bx is the more powerful of the two tractors. If you examine the engine specs of the two machines you quickly find that the B7500 is a far more powerfull machine. Given that the technology of most of todays diesel engines is so similar, when comparing machines it really easiest to look at displacement to see which has the larger and "most likely" most powerfull engine. after potential choices have been made then you can compare the power curves of the engine to make a final selection.

06-18-2003, 14:29 Post: 57937
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I realize this is an orange conversation but here is some info. that applies to what you are talking about. Same thing applies to Kubota. I posted this in another forum on a conversation pertaining to the difference in power between the John Deere 4310 and 4410:

The 4310 engine (Yanmar 3TNE84) displaces 91.3 cubic inches. The 4410 engine (Yanmar 3TNE88) displaces 100.2 cubic inches. 8.9 cubic inches displacement is not a world of difference but certianly does add something. That something is a 9.1% increase in displacement and a corresponding increase in hp & torque as well as a 4mm longer stroke. This comes to 73.1 ft./lbs torque for the 4310's (Yanmar 3TNE84) and 81 ft./lbs. torque for the 4410's (Yanmar 3TNE88). That comes to about 9% increase in torques as well. Most would consider this a noticable and sizeable increase. Question is.......... is it worth the extra money to you?

06-18-2003, 15:15 Post: 57939
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Even though the first question that a tractor dealer is going to ask is "What HP?; it is probably better to consider frame size and what you are going to do with the tractor. This puts you into a class that can use the right Backhoe, plow, FEL and so forth. The companies have done a pretty good job of matching the engines to the proper frame sizes. Competition selects the leaders. After you have selected a basic frame size you ask the question about whether more power is worth more to you.

With respect to the final selection of HP, you may want to also consider the standard hydraulic flow capacity and other things that might guide you. If you have a choice of engines, I personally would choose the slow, long stroke version. In my case, I live at over a mile above sea level and engine HP is lost. That can be made up for with more displacement.

BTW, I was not referring to anyone's comments outside of this immediate thread. I do not have a Kubota but this question came into my area of interest so I responded.

06-18-2003, 18:03 Post: 57950
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Ok. I am NOT trying to stir the pot here, I just want a bigger perspective.

I know that a well made, well maintained diesel pick-up engine can go 250,000 miles...... what is the RPM range for these engines?

And, does anyone know at what RPM range diesel car engines such as VW's and Audi's run?

I am thinking that my BX engine running at 3200 RPM (max) can't be all that unusual or all that fast.

06-18-2003, 19:50 Post: 57959
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

My Cummins is set to limit fuel at 3250 rpm. I rarely take it above 2800. Never need to. I makes 505 ft./lbs. torque at 1800 rpm. With a reflash or a chip/box it can go to 660 ft./lbs. and much more. 75 mph = about 2000 rpm.

06-19-2003, 07:19 Post: 57993
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Horsepower and displacement has little to do with each other as far as a relationship. When the word torque enters in then it changes. Normally bigger is more at this point. There are so many variables here, my sled has 800cc and produces 160 horsepower. Thats about 50 cubic inches, that's good horsepower and virtually no torque.

06-19-2003, 10:25 Post: 58002
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Diesel engines and other engines for that matter will last for a very long time with good lubricant and long running. In my experience it is starting the engine that has the worst effect on wear. This is especially true of engines that are not run for quite a while. I have even used engines where you can pressurize the oil externally before starting it.

The oil film on cylinder walls will thin out after a time of draining. The oil film in the journal bearings will also thin out. When you start the engine, it has little lubricant until the oil pump gets it flowing and the crank gets some oil into the bottoms of the dry cylinders. This is why I personally use the best synthetic oil that I can find. I am not trying to start an oil debate here.

What I said about wear rate being the cube of engine speed is true, but if the wear rate is very small to begin with a 33% increase may not show up in practical terms. But, when selecting the engine for my tractor, I want the torque. That means more cubic inches.

Mark, you live at about the same altitude as I do, I think. At 5300 ft, my engine only produces about 85% of what the published specs say. I still vote for more cubic inches.

Changing the chip or programming of an engine affects the fuel usage primarily. But, there is a limit to how much fuel you can burn in a given engine cylinder and how many RPMs you can safely run.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 57863 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 11 | Art White 4 | buzst1 1 | Chief 5 | DRankin 5 | Foghorn 3 | Jelliott 3 | johnfundy 1 | marklugo 1 | Misenplace 3 | Murf 1 | Peters 1 | TomG 9 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
5420Deer

Tillers and Ploughs - KingKutter vs  Landpride
KingKutter vs Landpride

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force
+ Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality