Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota L355 S S poor performance

View my Photos
Curt Fandrich
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-03          27714

I have a 1984 Kubota L355 S/S loader tractor that has about 1600 hrs on it. Recently I have been having problems with it. It starts fine then once the engine warms up at about 10 minutes it starts running so badly that it can barely pull itself in the lowest gear. I initially thought that it was a fuel problem and changed the fuel filter, fuel lift pump etc. It has not changed a thing. It uses no oil, the coolant level is fine and it does not appear to smoke when it starts running poorly. Any ideas?Curt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Paul S.

2001-05-03          27726

If it were my 9N, I would be 90% sure that it was my ignition coil going bad. Been there. Good Luck. ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2001-05-05          27792

This is probably too simple but I'll throw it out there. Mid winter we had a ton of snow and I'd start up my jd1070 to plow out an access road on a building site every week it seemed. I had the same thing happening. After 10 minutes the machine had no power and then finally it would stall out, after which it would start for a couple more minutes. I did the usual filter change and water separater clean out but the problem persisted. I had previously let the fuel run dry one day by mistake and this had thrown me because I thought that this had caused some problem. Finally, I ripped the water separater off and the hose to the fuel tank. The hoses and fittings were clogged with pine needles! I s'pose by letting the tank run dry I had forced the debris (I bought a used rental machine) into the lines but couldn't determine what was happening because some fuel was getting through, just not enough. So if you haven't checked your tank, lines etc.( and your fuel shut off valve). That would be my next step. ....

View my Photos
Curt Fandrich

2001-05-07          27834

Eric,
Thanks for the observation, I'll give it a try!

Curt ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-07          27858

Check to see that the muffler isn't carboned up. ....

View my Photos
Curt Fandrich

2001-05-08          27890

If the muffler was "carboned-up", why would it run great when it is cold and then only have problems when the engine gets to its running temperature? And by the way it's not the exhaust system, it's clean as a whistle....

cf ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-08          27943

Hmmm...I don't know why a carboned up exhaust hurts a warm engine more than a cold one. I've seen it happen a few times. Not often enough to be confident that I've got an explanation, but often enough to know to take a look... ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-08          27944

Come to think of it, if your diesel exhaust pipe is "clean as a whistle" then its the only one I've ever heard of like that. This might be a clue as to why it is running poorly. Most diesel exhaust pipes on healthy engines are pretty much coated with carbon. ....

View my Photos
charlie

2001-05-08          27945

check the air filter and also check the fuel line between the tank and the filter.it could have a weak spot in it that lets it collapse when it gets warm.good luck ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-09          27956

Vexing--an intermittent problem with no smoke and maybe heat sensitive. I wonder how long it takes before the tractor starts and runs normally after it quits? From the description, it does sound like fuel starvation, but I can't think of any reason not already mentioned why fuel starvation would be intermittent (including the governor/throttle linkage as causes of starvation). A break in the line on the pump suction side could allow air into the line (and I don't know what a fuel lift pump is). However, once air is in the pump/injectors, the starvation problem shouldn't clear by the tractor simply sitting. Even so, if the tractor takes a long while before it starts normally, you might try bleeding the lines to see if the problem clears. In theory on some pumps, starvation could result from an internal pump seal that seals inadequately when it becomes hot. However, fuel would end up in the crankcase and could be detected by rising engine oil levels. A couple of engine things that could be heat sensitive and cause power loss are valve clearance and head gasket. However, I'd expect some smoke to be associated with these sources of power loss. Even so, you might check the valve clearances, look for bubbles in the coolant when the engine is running poorly and maybe do a compression test. Since it wasn't said, I assume the engine temperature is normal when it runs poorly. I'm also assuming the tractor ran normally for weeks or months prior to the power loss problem. Otherwise, something like an incorrect replacement part might be suspected. A final idea is that the heat sensitivity issue may be misleading. An idea consistent with the line cleaning suggestions is that fuel flow may be marginal, and not adequate for operational use. It runs for a time and then exhibits fuel starvation symptoms. It again operates normally after a period of shut down. I’ve heard of some tractors that have a course filter inside the tank. Good luck with finding a solution. Maybe you've already found it. I'd be interested in knowing what it was. Hope I’ve given you some ideas if it’s not already fixed. ....

View my Photos
Curt Fandrich

2001-05-09          27974

Clean as a whistle in this case is a RELATIVE term. Of course there is carbon on the inside surfaces, it's a diesel. What was being implied here however is that the exhaust diameter is impaired to the point that the emerging exhaust gases are not able to adequately exit----this is NOT the case. English is such a confusing language for some of us..... ....

View my Photos
Curt Fandrich

2001-05-09          27976

Excellent thread! You have spent some time with diesel engines and I appreciate the good insight. The tractor does not overheat when it starts running badly and I have been running it at least monthly through this winter without problems. I did finally load the thing up and take it to our local Kubota dealer last Friday, it's Wednesday and so far they haven't touched it. I am less than pleased.

Curt ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-11          28030

Good luck with the dealer. Actually, I'm more book learned that experienced around diesels--as I sometimes demonstrate. I'd rather be able to just say: Well, I've seen that many times,' but I can't. By the same token, I'd just as soon my Ford 1710 doesn't give me much reason to gain first hand experience. I do study on tractors quite a bit, and do have some professional experience with gas engines, but I really haven't been around diesels much. My repair manual, and this Board in particular, are my best book learning aids. Fortunately, my tractor has been a real piker as a learning aid. ....

View my Photos
55shrek

2009-05-08          162621

send me an email, i think i know how to fix it. petdub@hotmail.com ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-09          162624

Don't hold your breath on a reply--that post is 8-years-old today. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login