Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
olpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-09-10          193635

I have just purchased a B7000 4 x 4 with the 2 cylinder diesel engine. It starts and runs very well, but the engine has a high pitch whine which comes and goes. Sometimes the whine is audible right from start up, then it might go, other times it will start and run for several minutes before the whine starts. Sounds like a disc or reed valve fluttering at high speed. Stethescope searching showed the noise loudest at the oil filter, so I replaced the oil filter and no noise when I fired it back up again. Then after a minute or so running the noise started again. Oil pressure is good (70 psi) Can anyone help please, Pete

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-09-11          193645

OlPete ~

I would be suspicious of the starter throw out gear. As I believe it is just behind (?) the oil filter location on the engine, the probability that the random whine is the lack of, or, dry throw out on the shaft. Essentially, the spring load behind the starter gear is laboring to send the gear back home after engagement, as the starter shaft is dry of lube. The sporadic whining noise, is the gear spinning in the housing, where it should be at rest. Catch it now before it sticks, and the gear gets chewed. Small matter to pull the starter off and shoot some lube onto the shaft, then manually race the gear back and forth a few times on the shaft to lube the surfaces. This has happened several times already with my oranges over the years. Presently have a 7500 doing it too.
Hope this helps.

~ Willie H. ....

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
olpete

2015-09-14          193658

Thanks for the reply Willie H. Removed the starter yesterday, found the pinion was free on the shaft and was retracting after starting the engine. I cleaned and lubed it anyway and while it was out I fitted a new battery cable. When I started the engine the noise was still there. I once again went over the whole engine with a stethescope and the noise is definitely coming from the oil filter. No noise at the flywheel end of the engine but as I test further forward the noise level rises, until at he end of the filter it is very loud. Front timing cover the noise is not as loud. I was told today to try a Kubota oil filter on it as the bypass valve in the filter I have on the engine could be causing the noise. Apparently Kubota filters don't have these bypass valves. ....

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-09-14          193659

I do know that dependent upon the manufacturer, oil filters will vary with internal components, and quality. I reread your initial post, I was of the impression that this whine noise was more or less, an intermittent occurrence rather than more constant after a few minutes. I believe that an oil filter change is a heck of a lot cheaper to invest in than anything major - for sure. Perhaps, the noise is not present as the engine is at rest and until the engine develops significant pressure to put the by-pass valve into operation, no noise would be present. Does the noise occur as engine speeds increase or as the pressure increases in short time after starting? Then, does it stay noticeable after it starts, or on and off, and if on and off, does there seem to be a correlation between engine speeds to the noise coming and going? Curious

~ Willie H. ....

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
Art White

2015-09-15          193676

I'd wonder what the oil bypass relief valve is doing! I'd doubt that the oil pressure should be 70 lbs. I didn't look at any books to verify but it might just be the bypass valve. ....

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
arcwelder

2015-09-15          193690

on my little massey, the relief valve was not in the oil filter. It was part of the housing.
The filter popped the seal and dumped the oil.
After much digging up the dirt and oil, I pulled the housing.
A bit of dirt had locked up the relief plate and it would not open. I popped it loose with a brass punch and cleaned it out with diesel.
when it did this it made some funny noises.
I do not know if this would be related or not.
I do not have a parts book to look. ....

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
olpete

2015-09-15          193694

Thanks Art White and arcwelder for your input. I was talking to our local tractor bloke and he showed me some oil filters have a bypass valve in the back of them which will open if the filter becomes blocked and allow oil to bypass the filter. He then showed me a Kubota filter which doesn't have such a valve. Yesterday was the first time since I have owned the B7000 that I have done any real work with it, and at the end of the work the noise had gone. When the engine cooled down and I restarted the engine the noise was back. Making me think that hot oil is passing through the filter but when it's cold it opens the bypass valve causing the noise. Tomorrow I'm going to town so I will buy a genuine kubota filter and give it a try. Will let you know. ....

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
olpete

2015-09-20          193748

Really starting to tear my hair out over this one. Bought a Kubota filter from the dealer $13 thank you compared to $4 for a valvoline filter. Fitted the new filter and when I started the engine no noise. Soon as I increased the engine speed the noise started again. I'm thinking now it has to be the pressure relief valve in the engine. 70 psi does seem high. I have seen a valve stick not relieve the pressure and blow the oil filter off the side of the engine as stated in an earlier post. I have had that happen so the valve is working to some extent. Does anybody know where is the relief valve on the 7000. Is it in the block or the pump and where is the pump. Not having a manual makes it difficult, and because it is a grey import the dealer is not very helpful.

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
Art White

2015-09-21          193754

Oil pressure should run up to 64 lbs max. The relief valve should be underneath the filter. Typically they are only about 25. for a new one. Your spring may be weak causing the vibration you are talking about. ....

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
olpete

2015-09-23          193763

Thanks Art White I am away for a week but will give it a try as soon as I get back. regards Pete ....

Mystery Noise

View my Photos
olpete

2015-10-10          193853

Art White finally got back and had a look there is no sign of a relief valve under or any where near the oil filter. Haven't been able to find anything resembling a relief valve. Took the filter off the engine to look right under the mount for the filter. While I had the filter off thought I might crank the engine over to pump some oil out without going through the filter. With the fuel shut off I cranked a couple of turns and pumped some oil out into a rag. supply looked good so I replaced the filter, started the engine. No noise. I thought maybe some foreign object was in the oil gallery and causing the noise and when i had pumped oil out without the filter whatever it was got pumped out at the same time. After running for 5 minutes the noise returned. Really getting desperate. Where can I get a manual for this engine, it has cast onto the side of the block 653 cc. Only identificationI have found so far. Thanks for all the suggestions ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login