Go Bottom Go Bottom

Help Too many choices

View my Photos
Aggie66
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-30          171978

I've analyzed the problem of which model to the point where I'm going blind! All the choices in "similar" sizes seem to be blending together, so I sure could use some advice.

Now that I've got my whining out of the way, here's what I need the tractor to do:
a) Mow 3-5 acres of mostly lawn-type grass, depending on whether or not I need to mow outside the fence along the road. (For my other 15+/- acres, I'm keeping my Ford 601 with 5' shredder.) I'm thinking RFM rather than MMM
b) Definitely want FEL (moving landscaping materials) and Hydrostat (easier with the FEL and easier for my wife!)
c) Probably want R-4 rubber (it's not all nice smooth lawn).
d) Occasionally will need to pull a small box blade.

I've looked over the Kubota BX and the small-end B models plus the JD 2305 as it seems these have the HP I need. It doesn't look like there's much separation. Seems like they're all around 20 HP (+/-) and all going to run around $14.5K (BX2360 w/ FEL) up to around $16.5 (bigger models w/ FEL).

So - other than around $2,000 - what's a good way to separate them? Durn things are all starting to look the same! What am I over-looking? Power steering? I haven't paid much attention to that, but it's probably something we need.

Your thoughts & experience will sure be appreciated. And my tired head will thank you!

John

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Help Too many choices

View my Photos
Lwayne

2010-06-30          171979

John: If everything else seems equal with the tractors the most logical second step is to compare dealerships. A lot of guys would put that at the top of the list. Chances are all of the tractors are going to have power steering, but I don't know what you're looking at so it's worth asking. I like some weight to go with the hp but the funny thing is the cheaper models usually have more iron. Everybody's likes and dislikes vary but one would think at some point you would develop a "gut feeling" as to what seems to make the most sense for you. It's hard to know for sure. Can you demo a few models? Just my 2 cents worth. ....

Help Too many choices

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-30          171981

You've narrowed it to two fine brands. I'd first agree on a price at the dealership. Then I'd ask both to bring that model, new or a demo, with loader, to your place for a several-hour side-by-side, and you'll choose one or the other on the spot. (With a loaded bucket you'll want factory PS.)

You and your wife should check the feel, the ergonomics, the sound, and especially the operation. A good tractor is something you can pass on to your kids, and small differences have a way of adding up over years of use.

All the work is done by attachments, and there are many, so try to think what you'll want in the future so you can get a package deal. ....

Help Too many choices

View my Photos
Aggie66

2010-06-30          171982

Lwayne, you're right on the dealerships: that's pretty critical. Here (Cent. TX), we have what seems to be a highly-regarded JD dealership. Another dealership (NH & just started carrying Kubota) has a good rep but is only now building their Kubota support. A third dealership - Kubota - is thought of more as a sales organization than service.

On demo drives, I guess I haven't given that a lot of thought. I figure they're all likely to be different but the same (if that makes sense) and I'll adapt to whatever I end up with. I'm average size & weight so I figure they'll all have similar ergonomics. Could sure be wrong on that, of course.

Anyway, thanks for weighing in. Much appreciated.

John ....

Help Too many choices

View my Photos
Aggie66

2010-06-30          171984

Auer .. oops, didn't see your post quick enough. Good thinking on the side-by-side. And you're right on small differences adding up over the years. I didn't give much thought to the lack of PS when I bought my 601 years ago and now I dread every time I have to use it. The upper-body workout is like going to the gym! That stuff is sure worth putting into the equation.

Thanks again

John ....

Help Too many choices

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-30          171985

How well the NH dealer does with Kubota probably will depend to some degree he has for tractors in the Kubota size range. If he has the demand and they are a decent dealership expect them to grow that business.

One of the things I like about Kubota is they use Kubota parts.

Go to both Kubota and JD web site and my guess if each will have a compare place for you to pick their tractor and then the other brand and compare them spec wise. Use both sites as what each company uses or the specs they have might vary.

I have used a Ford 601 without power steering as you mentioned a good but and these weight tractors are so different but much more comfortable except when running over rough ground due to smaller tires. Either one probably will prove to be a good decision.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login