Go Bottom Go Bottom

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-06          149031

Hi guys, I am curious as to how many people would be interested if Kubota was to offer a 3-point quick hitch. Additionally, if you would be interested, what type of design would you prefer? A male and female two piece type quick hitch, perhaps something just for the lower links, or a fixed 3-hook design such as what Land Pride offers? Last but not least, how much would you be willing to spend on something like this? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-06          149033

I'm not a 'bota owner but I designed and built my own version of a quickchange. It's based on a skid steer quick attach. Size-wise it's taller than a regular skid steer's mounting plate but not as wide. It has hydraulic-activated dual latch pins so you don't have to do anything but back up to it lift and go and throw a valve lever.

I have a few implements that need PTO hookup; that's still done the normal tedious way--but I'm looking for a quicker way to do that too.

The mounting plate has a very large apperature through which goes the PTO. All this is connected by a hydraulic top link which makes a sweet setup (if I say so myself LOL)

I'll post some pix if anyone is interested once the machine comes in from off the jobsite. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-06          149034

I haven't used the Land Pride but it looks similar to the JD iMatch, which I have. The basic design is sound but I had to modify a few implements to work with it. So if you go this route here are a few improvements to the design you might make.

- The top hook should have maybe 4-5" of adjustability vertically and be horizontally extendable 4-5" as well.

- The bottom link hooks should be easily adjustable side to side a few inches.

- I've found that Top-and-tilt is very, very useful with the quick hitch since it's often hard to hook up implements on uneven ground. Maybe you could consider a deluxe package that includes hydraulic adjustability. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-07          149044

I've experimented with almost all of them.

So far it seems the two lift arm end quick latch hooks are the best compromise between speed and flexibility / workability. The type which use a male / female pair get pricey real fast if you have very many implements, and if you don't buy the female side for each implement you still have to take the male half off to use that implement anyways.

IMHO the biggest drawback to ANY quick hitch type setup is the variance in size of a 'standard' Cat. 1 3 PTH frame. The top link seems to be the biggest offender in this aspect.

Until the 3 PTH is truly a standard size it will be a tedious process to design, build or use anything of this nature.

A pair of lift arm ends and a hydraulic toplink go a long way to minimizing the problem though.

As to your specific questions, if Kubota was to build such a thing, it would likely not be on the top of my shopping list, it seems the 'Orange' paint is prohibitively expensive. ;)

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-07          149047

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it comming. As far as that expensive orange paint, the objective would be to be competetive. Don't tell me you wouldn't pay for the extra cost of the orange paint, tell me what you would be willing to pay for. It is all about making the customer happy. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-07          149049

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

IMHO, the arm end type is the most flexible, and the best combination of convenience and usefulness.

That is your potential competition, they already exist and can be had for $179.99.

The full frame type is a close second, it sells for about $300 (depending on the brand).

I know both how costly Orange paint is, and how well made the product underneath usually is. Look at my pictures in my profile, particularly # 6.......

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-12-07          149052

I have the New Holland factory sliding ends on the lower arms. They're a POS---and expensive to replace as the entire arm is an assembly at $230 each. They started rattling at about 20 hours--so I welded them solid. All that is what led me to make the skidsteer-style quick attach. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-07          149054

I have 2 Kubota's, one a B and one a M series. They prove Murf's point on cat one not being that std. I like the slip type ends on the M lift arms and those suit me. I do not like any of the quick hitches for all 3 points. The quick hitch ends for lift arms seem to work fine. But and this is so often happens, you have a tractor of Cat 2 using Cat 1 implement and then none of the quick ends seem to handle this well. Same would be true of Cat 0 and Cat 1 or such.

I believe Murf to be correct, Orange paint seems to contain a bit of gold to give it the right tint!

Know what I for one like better and have not used it, Case's creep button to raise and lower the lift arms from the rear of the tractor. I would even like a push pull lever for that. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-07          149055

That is quite a fleet in pic 6 Murf, those all yours? Just so that I am clear, you consider guys Kubota to be a good product, but one that tends to cost a bit more than others? Thanks. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-07          149056

:)

Those are all mine, and that's just the part of the fleet that does snow removal.

As for 'you guys', tractors are kind of like pickups and women, which one's the best and which one looks the nicest depends on who you ask.

As my Grandpa used to say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it all depends on how badly he wants to be holdin' her!".

I have a good friend who loves his Chevy, but admits my Fords stand up better, but he claims he has a 'Chevy butt', it just can't get comfortable in a Ford. To each their own.

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-08          149088

I like my Land Pride with the adjustable top hook. So far I haven't had any issues with the bottom pin spacing being any different on various impliments. I've had mine for quite a while so the cost isn't freah in my mind, but a bit over 200.00 seems to ring a bell. Several months ago I saw some Deere literature about some sort of self connecting PTO shaft to go along with their I-match hitch, but so far have never saw one live and in person. Frank. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
ndnparts

2007-12-11          149208

I have a set of QH units that attach to the lower arms. The problem with the BX24 (and others I'm sure) is that the sway links don't stop the lower arms from flopping inboard. I will be switching these arms out to the solid (adjustable) type to stop this. These simple pin on type QH fittings are fine as long as the implements are all set to the same width, but, if you wanted to build a one piece frame type QH that had an adjustable width, I'd be all over it. The currently available units that I have seen are worthless unless you can get all implements set the same, which is not possible in my case. JMHO. Stan ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-11          149209

Kubotarep,

I have one of those orange tractors, and I'm extremely happy with it. Since I live more than 125 miles from the nearest Kubota dealer, it was important to me that I purchase a dependable machine, and Kubota has more than lived up to its reputation.

That orange paint was well worth the expense, and I didn't pay any more for it than I would have for any of the other major brands.

Unless a quick-hitch could be made adjustable to fit any mfg's implements, I wouldn't be interested in it.

But, if you were to offer a heated seat, I'd buy one.
At -30 degrees, it takes a while to thaw out my hind quarters after blowing the snow out of the driveway. hehehe. Right now I'm using the dog's bed as insulation. Poor dog. He doesn't have a warm place to sleep while I'm out on the tractor.

Joel ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-12-11          149210

Joel, I spent $40 each on genuine sheepskin auto seat covers and cut them to suit the CUT and one for the skid steer. Works great for the heat and the cold. And they provide a degree of cushion too. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-11          149214

Hmmmm...... my seat is heated in the winter, and air conditioned in the summer too..... ;)

Deputy Dog & I were cleaning up some rarely used access points to fields on Saturday, I was in shirt sleeves and quite comfy with an outside temp. of about 25° and a good breeze blowing.

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-11          149217

Hmmm, this past Saturday I was in tee shirt and right warm as I spread lime. No heater on or cab. Life in the cool South. Got to rub it in right now. In heat wave even for us of the mid 70's. I really don't know how some of you handle it without heated cabs. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-11          149228

KThompson,

I'll be wearing my T-shirts outdoors again when it gets to be about 30 degrees above zero......which is about 60 degrees warmer than it will be on Saturday.

Behind this front that's causing all the freezing rain throughout the mid-section of the nation, there's a deep freeze coming down from the North Pole. It will be somewhere around -25 here on Saturday. Today was the first day we've had in December when it got above zero, at +7 degrees. Dang near T-shirt weather today.

Joel ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-12          149236

Two quick points:

Kubotarep: I can not speak for Murf on cost of orange paint but I was talking more about their options and attachments than the tractor itself.

Joel...GLOBAL WARMING.... ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-12-12          149241

I was considering a Delta Hook, but the price put me off. For Cat I, it's $1000 for one male (tractor) and two female (two implements) plus shipping. The weight wasn't given but they look heavy. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-12          149242

Auerbach,

Thank you for the info on the Delta Hook. I like that setup better than any of the others I've looked at.

See the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   DELTA HOOK -- Quick Hitch System

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-12-12          149244

kthompson, I don't know how many times I have thought to myself that a means to adjust the lift arm height from the rear of the tractor would be just golden...especially when you have to walk to the other side of the tractor to raise or lower the lift arms to make the connection to the implement. You know, that thing that happens no matter how level you think the tractor and implement are. That feature of a TnT would be great to have. My back just isn't up to man-handling heavy equipment anymore.

Murf, I'd be willing to try the quick hitch adapers for the end of the lift arms, but what's the deal with the little u-bolt part?

Joel, we had a little sleet here in north Tejas today, if that makes you feel better. It takes some tough souls to live where you do. Maybe that's why there are so few? Someone will probably chime in about "good sense", but I'm not qualified to speak of such, so I'll let it be.

Y'all have a great day!
Mark ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-12          149245

Mobilus, I don't know what you mean by U-bolts.

It doesn't really matter what type of Quick-Change system you use, as long as the implements are non-standard sizes, you are either going to pay a pile of money for an "all-in-one" system like the Delta, or put with the PITA of still having to align the arms, etc., to get hitched up.

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-12          149247

Mobilus,

We have a saying here in North Dakota........"-40 keeps out the riff-raff."

I haven't yet decided if this old saying truly pertains to North Dakota, as there seems to be no shortage of Riff Raff anywhere I go.

(French: rifle et rafle (strip and carry off) -- English: riff raff -- the dregs of society)

I just got a phone call from the people at Delta Hook. They're running a special right now, offering 15% off the posted price. That's a savings of 150 dollars when purchasing the tractor plate and two implement adapter plates.

They're sending me a brochure and a CD.

Joel ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-12          149248

Mobilus, I think the U bolts are to keep the hitch tight to the lift are so they do not flop up and down.

Kubotarep...gives us a quick hitch to replace the ends of the lift arms esp with the telescoping arms. You know the kind that are already out there. Just the aftermarket kind (think this is what Mobilus is looking at) extend the attachemnt point by 3 or so inches. Throwing off some PTO shafts and third arms and also lift capacity. That does not affect the flexibility of the width of the arms and such. Case did have optional switch to ease the lift arms up or down. Hooking up a lever to lift lever concerns me from safety issue due to moving it so quickly you could get hurt. The tractor I used with heavy implements has telescoping lift arms and they will also pivot up when unlocked. Helps me out a good bit.

I have one question on the fixed 3 pt hitch systems out there...when mowing I will push my cutter to the side to cut over a ditch at times. It does put cutter at an angle but can you still do that with the fixed 3 pt quick hitches. Does not matter to me, have no plans to buy one. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-12          149253

Thanks for all the opinions, they really help. If you could give me an acceptable price range in addition to desired design, that would help too. My personal favorite is the Delta Hook, but it is expensive. The type that just attaches to the end of the lower arms are certainly less expensive, but I see the potential problems of the PTO shaft no longer being long enough, and a loss of leverage. Perhaps something like the EZ-Hitch http://www.carterandsonsllc.com/ but with a hands-free latch rather than the bolt? The bennefits of just end pieces, but without the increased length. Thanks again. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-12-12          149255

KubotaRep, you wote:

"The type that just attaches to the end of the lower arms are certainly less expensive, but I see the potential problems of the PTO shaft no longer being long enough, and a loss of leverage."

Why can't you incorporate that design INTO the lift arm, and not ADD it to the end? In other words, redesign the lift arm with the quick hitch feature integrated. That way , the lift arms wouldn't be any longer.

I'se jus' thinkin',
Mark ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-13          149262

Moblius,

"Why can't you incorporate that design INTO the lift arm,"

My thoughts match yours? Is Kubota not able to do such (we know better than that)? Or is Kobuta Rep not really a Kubota Rep???

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-13          149263

Forgot to add...was wondering if Kubotarep is really a Kubota Rep why he/she did not chime in on Kubota Credit Card thread. Or does Kubota just have lift arm end reps and then credit card reps and then .... ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-13          149266

"Why can't you incorporate that design INTO the lift arm, and not ADD it to the end?"

You mean like Case/IH did 35 years ago? ;)

As I said before, and I'll say it again, no arm-end system will be of much use until the lower lift pins are a standard width. Getting the arms on the pins is NOT the problem, getting the arms LINED UP with the pins is the issue. An arm-end system will only work if the arms are lined up (both fore/aft & side-to-side) to the pins to within an inch or so, considering there has to be about 2" (minimum) of sway in the arms to allow for full up/down range of motion, you are still completely at the mercy of gravity (if the machine is on even a slight incline) or whatever other force to place the arms in the right spot and not have them sway out of range just as you get to the pins.

Almost all of the arm-end kits also offer as an 'option' (Carter & Sons included) a 'spreader bar' of some form. (From the Carter site "The spreader bar is great for keeping the hitches straight and aligned with each other.")

For $170 less than that product I can manage just fine I think.

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-13          149283

My title with Kubota is "Marketing Representative". I am fairly new to the company and very new to Tractor Point. I have not seen the other thread mentioned, as I became a member to research the quick-hitch idea. I like the idea of integrating the quick-attach into the arms themselves, rather than as attachments. This would help new tractor buyers, but would not be of much benefit to existing owners. An adjustable "spreader arm" also sounds like a good idea, perhaps something similar to the adjustable top link. Thanks again. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-13          149284

To quote from one of my favourite engineering books, "The most important thing is to keep the most important thing the most important thing.".

If to make an arm-end system of quick hitch work, you require a spreader bar between the lift arms, you have a problem with the above statement, or as it is commonly called in these parts, "a silly circle".

If you look at the geometry of a 3pth you will find that it is meant to work in CONJUNCTION with the PTO system. As such, the PTO shaft is in the middle of it all, and when fully lowered the line between the lower end of the two lift arms (where the spreader bar, or a draw bar, would be) is below that of the PTO shaft, but when raised that line would be above the PTO shaft.

This is where the silly circle comes in, in order to use an arm-end system you need a spreader bar, but, the spreader bar is an obstacle that can't stay in the way if you are using a PTO-driven implement. So AFTER you are hooked up, you need to get back into the midst of everything to disconnect the spreader bar.

Doesn't sound very well thought out to me.

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-13          149286

KubotaRep...I don't mind asking you for forgive my doubts. Or espressing them.I really felt like it was someone fishing for a business idea for their own packaging.

Murf, I gave my brother at set of the quick hitches that go on the end of the lift arms. I did not get the spreader bar for him. I do like how they work. The stablizer on the arms keep them space sufficiently close to work most of the time very well. His problem to hook up to is a large side mount hyd cutter. It is dangerous to reach the right pin but he is able now to lower lift arms, back under the pins and pick up the lift locking the arms in place. Still requires manually hooking the third arm. Also easy to disconnet. Problems for him were now needs longer pto shaft and the about 2,000 or so of cutter is sitting about 4 inches back making the tractor a little too light on front end. That design came with some bent washers to go on the implement pin to help aligned the two when hooking up. Of course with some implements varying a few inches that is of no value.

If the industy could agree on standard 3 pt dimns. that would be on no value for those implements that have already been made and will be used for many, many years.

Some day someone may come back out with the old 1 pt hitch. Never used it but it sure seems simple. Do understand problem with implement that is not balanced with them. But large enough single point could handle that also. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-13          149294

Murf, a good point about the spreader bar interfering with the PTO shaft. However, a centrally mounted bar is not the only possibility for adjusting the spread of the lower link arms. At this point I think I have a good idea of what the market would be interested in. The next step will be passing the parameters on to the engineers, and they can determine the best way to make it happen. Please do not feel that you should stop providing ideas though, designs can always benefit from refinement. Additionally, I would still like input on what an acceptable price range would be. It isn't a question of how much Kubota can charge for it, but how fancy we can make it while still being marketable. The more that the customer is willing to spend, the easier to operate we can make it. Every feature that makes it more functional adds to the cost. So what does the market want? An inexpensive product that requires a higher level of work from the operator, or a more expensive product that allows the operator to hitch up without ever leaving the drivers seat? Thanks again. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-13          149295

Kubotarep,

As I look at things, a quality quick-hitch is nothing less than another tractor implement. I expect to have to pay a good sum of money for any snowblower, tiller, or row planter.......maybe about half that much for a quick-hitch.

Having a three point quick-hitch that would work with skid steer implements, as well as with PTO powered implements would be the best of both worlds........and I'd buy one.

Joel ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-12-13          149296

Okay guys --I have to admit that I skipped to the end of the chapter as it were on this one as I haven't been keeping up on this...

BotaRep, in another life, I too engaged in what you are doing by soliciting opinions--"research"--when I was a very young upstart Product Designer for a Harley-Davidson parts mfg.

So, I have to wonder what your professional background/capacity/title is (and Murf I can see you smiling when I say this). You say and I quote:

"It isn't a question of how much Kubota can charge for it, but how fancy we can make it while still being marketable. The more that the customer is willing to spend, the easier to operate we can make it. Every feature that makes it more functional adds to the cost."

Based on the abovementioned, I get the impression you come from or still are in retail sales as no designer or engineer would make a comment like that.

In fact your comment is counterintuitive.

"Fancy" and "features" do not equate to costing more, no more than the color of the paint. BTW, the word "fancy" really isn't applicable in this setting (read: the other gender) :) But I'm jis' sayin' Some of my best friends are fancy. tehe

And of course it IS about what Kubota can charge, so let's not try to make us think Kubota is a philanthropic organization.

Fact is, with this scenario and in most cases in general there is no connection to price and functionality. Why would it cost more to to make something easier to use? And remember this hard-learned lesson from the auto industry whn they decided to load down cars with electronic gadgetry: the more features you have, the more something can break down. Another lesson adopted was the KISS method: Keep It Simple Stupid.

Words to live by.

And, yes, I'm jis' sayin' ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-13          149298

Earthwrks, you are right that I am new to the industry, but I am a marketing representative, not a salesman. Both of which you would already know if you had started at the begining. And no, fancy was not the best choice of words. However, I have to disagree with you on your other points. Inorder to make the product more functional, more features must be incorporated. The very basic designs do not allow for true hands free operation. If you want to hook up without ever leaving the drivers seat, you will need something that allows the lower link arms to automatically latch into place when raised, you need something that allows you to adjust the spread of the link arms from the drivers seat, etc. The easier to use that you make it, the more features it requires and thereby the more it costs to make. The Delta Hook system is a prime example of this. It is very easy to use, but also quite expensive. However, the purpose of my research is to find a design concept that maximizes functionality for a minimal production cost. I agree that simplicity is a virtue. We would want to keep the mechanical functions simple to ensure durability and reliability. Of course Kubota's objective is to make money, but that isn't going to happen if we produce a product that the market isn't willing to pay for. I believe that it is necessary to determine how much the customer is willing to pay, not so that we know how much we can get away with charging, but so that we know if we should offer a Chevy or a Cadillac. Or perhaps I should say a Standard L or a Grand L40 ;). Additionally, if the design was incorporated into the tractor, rather than as an aftermarket add-on, it might even be sold at cost. Not because we are such nice guys, but because our tractors would offer an advantage the competition does not, and the profit would be made through increased tractor sales. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-12-14          149300

There's a common misconception that because a product is priced at a certian level that there is intrinsic value. Not so. Look at a pizza for example. My understanding from my friends in the food industry is that that is one of the biggest profit makers. And why? Because people are willing to pay for it. Another case in point: mini-self storage facilities. Another big money maker. The rate of retun on investment used to be 1-1/2 years on a million dollar investment. I know first-hand there is no connection to the price they charge for a storage unit. The clients I worked for proudly had some of the highest rates in the country. Why? Because they could. The Regional Rep called it "sprialling up". And when the competition wanted to have a "sale" or price reduction to bring some normalcy to the market my client would "spiral down"--no biggie they made their money earlier and are still making a profit at a new lower price. In some circles this is called gouging. I used to watch competitors call each other and collude (price fixing) on what the new price was going to be. This is illegal but they do it all the time.

Look at pickup trucks compared to passenger cars. Comparatively trucks can retail way more than their cousin cars. Trucks cost way less to produce than cars, and that equates to bigger profit margins on trucks. The automakers love to give deep discounts on trucks, and the public has a sense that they're getting a super deal. Truth is they're not but it's the perception that they are.

Another perception example is in my industry of dirt work. Not all dirt work costs the same. Generally my prices start at $75 an hour. I get builders who "want some dirt moved" on their lot. They're careful not to say "final graded" because the price doubles or triples. Why? Because we can as it is more entailed and not everyone does or can do it (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
Another example: sewer line repairs. I can get $4500 for about 40-50 feet of repair if it's 8-12' deep. I can do it in about a half a day. Why so much? High-priced plumbers years ago were the only ones doing it, an so the price stuck. I also get people who want landcaping done. They ask how much I charge by the hour and already have it in their mind it will take "x" amount of hours times $75 per hour and that is the price. Nope! Take that figure and multiply by 4. Why? Landscaping in my area is big bucks. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-14          149304

KubotaRep, EW and I have basis for our suspicions. If you will be active here for a while you will see why. If not that only adds to it. If you will share here as a concerned Kubota Rep there is no doubt many would benefit by it and appreciate it greatly. There are often questions you may be able to help with. Again there are/were two other questions regarding Kubota going on during much of this conversation regarding Kubota itself.

I asked a question earlier that no one addressed; will the system allow you to push an implement to the side and not have it just centered with the quick hitch as common lift arms allow. For what I have seen they do not or very little any way. I do think price would be important and do not like the add on or separate piece of equipment between the tractor and my implement as any add on has to be or those I have seen are anyway.

My first thought is one that no one has commented on but I still wonder...what size tractor are you talking about? For the implements that "I" normally use with my compact either they have flexible linkage for their lift points or they are so light I find them easy to move by hand. Well vast majority of the time.

There is a link to a small company here in the US that has a product line with their own changeable system you may wish to look at. I have not seen one of their units in use (other than on tape) but I do like some aspects of them very much.

Link:   

Click Here

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-14          149315

Earth, I would agree that price does not equate value. Just because something is expensive does not make it valuble. However, value does tend to have a direct corelation to price. The more value an item has, the more it tends to cost. I do not wish to argue the point with you though. As I am representing my company, I do not want to offend anyone. Additionally, you sound like an intelligent, knowledgable person and I would rather draw from that than rebuff it.

Kthompson, as to the capabilities of the hitch, such as the ability to push it to one side, I do not yet have an answer. As to the size of the implement, I would think that the value of a quick hitch would be greatest on those implements which are too heavy to easily manhandle into position. I am not an engineer, and they tend not to like being told how something should be designed. What I am doing is collecting information on what the market demands. Then I draw up a list of requirements and an acceptable price range for the item. It will be the engineers job do determine the best way to design the product within the limitations of the price range. Your suspicions are understandable, but I hope that we can proceed to a mutualy beneficial relationship. As to any product questions, please remember that your dealer is your best first resource. If your dealer is unable to help, Kubota does have an option on our website for submitting questions. In fact, I am one of the ones who responds to those questions. However, if I am asked a question on this site, I will do my best to help. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-14          149316

KubotaRep, keep hanging out here. You will find some great people.

On a product line that you may not have considered before, any thoughts on SUNSHADES for tractors? :) (Boy, what a memory that is.) Who did suggest the lace?

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-14          149317

We do have canopies for your ROPS type units, but I can see the value of a sunshade too. Certainly bears some thought. Thanks for the quick and friendly reply.

PS- Is there a spellchecker on here that I just haven't found yet? Not my strength. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-12-14          149324

Download this. Been using it for years with no issues. ....

Link:   IE Spell

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-15          149348

Perfect. Thanks. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
bvance

2007-12-15          149349

'BotaRep,

I appreciate your courage to ask for some input and to take a few shots for your company. The guys that hang out on this board are all very skookum guys that know a thing or two about tractors. We have also been burnt a time or two by some con artists that who were not what they represented, so we can sound a bit testy until we really get to know who and what we are dealing with.

Pull up a chair and listen in and keep asking questions so you can pass real world info on to your company in order to make things better for all of us....we appreciate it.

Brian ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-17          149369

Bvance, the real world experiance of the people on this board is exactly what I was hoping to find. The people who have offered their input are clearly knowledgable and intelligent; much more so than I had hoped. Your initial hesitancy is understandable, but I am certainly glad that we seem to be past that now. Thank you all very much. I will keep you informed if I am able to get these ideas accepted by managment and moved into production, and I look forward to working with all of you further on future projects. Thanks again. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-17          149370

KubotaRep, thank you (on behalf of all of us here) for your kind words.

We, as a group, have always tried to help anyone who genuinely wants to learn, and between all of us and the many years of experience and diverse backgrounds, always seem to come with several good ideas.

Have you (as a company) considered an entirely new twist on the concept of a quick hitch system? Maybe something along the lines of the new easy hitch snow plow systems for trucks? They feature a funnel-like fitting into which a slightly pointed male portion fits and locks once fully in place.

This gives you the ability to hitch up even though there may be several inches of mis-alignment between the parts.

Let me know if you want more information on this idea.

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-17          149372

Murf; Maybe a hybrid of the old IHC fast hitch, no top link needed. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Art White

2007-12-17          149378

Hinicker uses it on their snowplows but I haven't checked to see if they are an exact fit. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-18          149395

Kenneth, the problem with using the 2 point system is lose the ability to rotate the implement on it's lift pins in order to change the angle at which the implement meets the ground.

For things like rear or box blades that makes a huge difference in performance.

My Western snow plows all run that type of system, you only need to be +/- ~2" to hitch up.

Best of luck. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
KubotaRep

2007-12-18          149404

Murf, I am curious as to the design of the snowplow based quick-hitch. Could you provide a link or model name that I could search so I can see what it looks like? My concern is that it sounds like another male/female type of design and these seem to exceed the desired price range, as well as requiring a receiver for each implement. Thanks. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
denwood

2007-12-20          149511

Kubota rep, I have been considering a quick hitch for quite some time and the delta hook is the only one I would even consider. One it allows very simple hook up of heavy attachments and that will decrease the foul language coming from my property at times. Second it would allow me to adjust the sway links once and for all and not for each implement after I hitch up.(John Deere has these sliding holes that have to line up and put a pin with cotter pin in.) I am not biting yet. The price is way out there if you buy the females, and I don't like the female implement ends. The add inches of distance in front of the real hitch pins and you know what that means. I understand the reason, they have to make a female that bolts to any attachment someone may have so it cannot be as small or simple as one designed just for that implement. If the male end were made with dimensions like off the shelf angle iron or channel that allowed easy fabrication of the females, I would just buy a male and make all my own females. I have already found someone that owns the delta system so I may do some recon and make my own male too, improving it as I go. I had thought of the idea of bringing it an inch or 2 closer to the tractor like mentioned in previous posts. With my new plasma cutter, that project just became easier. I think the 3 point hitch in its current form is a dinosaur that has far outlived its extinction date. That relic should have been improved on years ago much like the front end loader mounts have been with the universal quick attach. The one problem I see is with short sighted corporate greed. They will want to patent it so they can make all the money, it won't catch on quick enough because only they will make them, and they will want to make it hard to reproduce the female so they can sell more. What we need is something so good implement makers will want to offer it as an optional hookup right from the factory and be allowed to do it. Then sell the rights to other tractor companies so everything can just change for the better. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-21          149525

Denwood, Patens? ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-12-21          149544

Kenny, he spelled it right (patent)--geeze! If THAT wasn't the pot calling the kettle black!

Denwood: This type of conversation is likely what precipitated skid steer manufacturers and attachment makers too pre-1996. Now there are over 200 attachments for skid steers. There's no reason tractors can't have a modern universal quick-tach system.

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
OkieRancher

2007-12-22          149568

Dear Kuboya Rep. I use a Deere with a Land Pride Quick hitch and here is what I suggested to my Deere rep:

Using a slide bar (or any of several alternative methods), make the lower hooks so they can adjust horizontally a few inches. This will allow you to hook up to attachments which are not per "standard" as far as location of their pins. All the other stuff guys have noted in here are great ideas as well. Price-wise...say 300 bucks (Approx).
Thanks for asking about this! ;-) ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-01-09          150095

The standard rear hitch must be a century old, and there are increasing implements for it, so surely it's time for some modernization.

I looked into the Delta. The two pieces add almost a couple hundred pounds at the aft point of the hitch. When you have a small tractor that can barely lift a heavy implement like a 6" wood chipper, you don't want that added weight in that location. So give me compactness and especially lightness and I'll buy one. ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-09          150104

EW, yes I did mispell it. I was not trying to point out an incorrect spelling by denwood. Rather his buying a hitch and copying the other end rather than buying them. If I were going to do such I sure would not put it on the internet due to Patents. (or my spelling of patens) kt ....

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
denwood

2008-01-10          150121

I am not too worried about this patent. Mine would be different enough that no one could sue a guy that made one for his own use that was not an exact clone. Mine could be a copy of the one they copied. Want to know where Delta brainstormed their design and why they used the delta name? Because it was called the Triangle quick hitch and the design is over 30 years old. The patent on that design ran out after 17 or 20 years didn't it?. Yes, they reference this model in their patent. They did change enough stuff to truly say it was patentable again but I like the father model better and homemade production could still improve on it making females that fit each implement rather than "one size fits none, but you can make it work". I think the triangle may be slightly harder to hitch without hyd top link, but gives more PTO room which could play a role with an offset gearbox like my 2 spindle bush hog. It would also put less stress on the locking mech. because it has a square interface rather than the angled that would naturally want to separate when pulling the implement. The father design is still available according to the web site, should you feel compelled to give the money to the original designer. I just don't yet know anyone with one that I could inspect it for ideas, measurments and improvements. ....

Link:   father of deltahook

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
Sandalwood

2008-01-25          150737

Freedom Hitch, Bubco, Delta Hook and Jiffy Hitch have been comparable products. Con: All expensive due to implement component required for each implement Pro: All overcome the lack of uniformity in Cat 1 implement attachment sizing and they all offer ease of attachment (1 person, from the tractor seat)

I have been using Freedom Hitch for six years and find it perfect for me (often working alone). Unfortunately Midwest Industries stopped making the product 2-3 years ago and extra implement section pieces hard to find. Midwest tells me they are willing to sell the rights to someone (No, I am in no way affiliated with Midwest Industries). Maybe KubotaRep could explore production of a less expensive version of one of these products with the broad distribution Kubota network has. ....

Link:   

Click Here

3-Point Quick Hitch

View my Photos
geekfarmer

2008-02-02          151034

Where can I find the lift arm type. I have a JD 650 and don't want to put a heavey 3pt type on. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login