Go Bottom Go Bottom

B 7100 ST - Making the Leap

View my Photos
Femuse
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-26          119860

I've never driven a tractor, but I've be reading various forums and I'm beginging to get the gist of what they're about.

I have 30 acres of moderately rolling ground. 10 are wooded and 20 acres were clear cut, and stumps pulled about 10 years ago. Since then, the vegetation has wasted no time. My wife and I have tried to manage the place with a pair of Stihl WeedWhackers, but good as those machines are, that's pretty silly.

We need to do some brush hogging, some sappling uprooting, and some knocking down of trees ten years old. And maybe some hauling of materials. A tractor is what we need.

We've looked around a bit. For reference, we found that the Kubota L frame too large for us, and the small wheels on the BX seriers won't cut it on our ground. So, we've been planning to make the rounds shopping for something just a bit smaller.

Now I hear there's a Kubota B 7100 ST for sale locally, at $2000. It's not exactly what I'd like, but it's close, and it costs less than I was planning to spend. That would leave me some cash to work with. Before I plunk my money down, though, I have a few questions:

Assuming it's in good running order, can we hope to find implements and parts to keep it going for a few years?

I haven't seen the tractor yet. Aside from petoleum products oozing from the thing, what other points should I watch?

What can I hope for in the way of PTO outputs and hydraulics?

Even at the price, are there any severe limitations to this machine that might make it wise to pass by?

Judging by photos, the B7100 is a bit larger than what I wanted. Is there some other machine I should have a look at.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice or opinions offered.
_Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-26          119861

Why do you think the L-series is too big? It seems to me something that size be about right. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-11-26          119865

I agree with Ken.
With the amount of property and intended uses you list, I would be looking at 30 to 40 HP machines.
The B 7100 is way to small in my opinion.. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-26          119867

I started with the notion that I didn't want anthing larger than necessary. If price and size run together, that would best suit my means. It didn't take long to rule out the lawn tractor types, though I'll admit that I was impressed when I watched local fire company clear a field for a fiddle contest with their personal equipment. For a while after that I thought I could do much of what I needed with one of the larger Simplicity LTs, but even my favortite was little more than a very competent mower. No way to add implements.

When I started looking and the current Kubotas to get a sense of what we might use, I was impressed by their tiny FELs and back hoes, but realised I needed larger wheels for our terrain. At out local dealer, the next step up was the L-frame series, but it just seemed too large -I want a high degree of maneuverability.

The other thing is that, because of the cost of implements, I've decided to restrict what I plan to do with a tractor. That in mind, I think I can do with a fairly small one. My wife will want to play too, and she added her weight to that decision.

That's about it. It practically a gut thing. If my first tractor doesn't hurt us too much financially, we should be able to upgrade when we see the need. Finance will always be a major restriction, though.

Thanks

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-26          119868

At 13 pto hp and 16 hp gross, the B7100 is not going to run much of a rotary cutter. The weight of the B7100 is around a 1040 lbs. or there abouts. You may be able to get by with a light duty 4 ft. rotary cutter. The 3 pt. hitch and hydraulics should be able to handle the weight but you may require some front counter weight depending upon the weight of the cutter. It may be more advantagious to pay someone to brush hog it for you and then just maintain the area with a finish mower. I do did this with a couple of 40 to 50 acre hay fields. Once the area have been brush cut, you can walk it and pick up the rocks or any other debry and then be safe with an RFM or MMM. The MMM will give you the best cut but is bit of a pain to remove and install on some machines. Just wanted to throw out a few ideas to consider. Let us know what you decide on. Something along the lines of a Deere 790, Kubota L245 and up, or Kioti in a similar hp range would do well as far as used equipment. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-26          119869

I expect much of my routine to be is keeping our entrance road in order, and mowing along it and the state road. I'll maintain and widen paths around the place, and probably create a lawn by gradually widening what's there now. I imagine any trees I want to remove will have to be done more by finesse than by horsepower - mostly for lack of horsepower.

I also think I'd have to make a considerably larger financial commitment to go to the next size. Given your comment, though, I'll stop by the dealer again and stand next to that L-series, just to recalibrate my sense of size.

Thanks

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-26          119870

I take it RFM is Rotary Finish Mower, but I haven't been able to figure out MMM. Is there a place to learn about the various attachments and what they do?
======
I considered having someone come in with a brush hog, but I think I'd waste a lot of time worrying about the details. The field is pretty lovely for wildlife as it stands, I'd like to keep some of that in tact. In a sense, this is all exploratory. Nibble here, nibble there.

I'm looking up the machines you mentioned. Can't wait to see the price, though. I did follow a few JD 600 series machines on eBay. They looked interesting, in fact, I'm not sure how different they are from the Kubota L-series. Not a tiny machine.

Thanks

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-11-26          119871

MMM is Mid Mount Mower (belly mower) ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-11-26          119873

I use a 35 HP tractor ( similar in size to the L-series Kubota) on my 15 acres and find it sized just right for my needs/uses.
I use it to clear/maintain around 9 acres of field and mow around 6 acres of lawn. Perfect size for my 15 acres. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-26          119879

>> MMM is Mid Mount Mower (belly mower)

I was pretty sure it wanted to be Belly Mower, I just couldn't find the way to make it happen. Heck, I only had 2 M's to account for.

What is this 35hp amchine that's similar to the L-series Kubota? I may as well see whatelse is out there.

Mike

View my Photos
Justus

2005-11-26          119890

FEMUSE, listen to these guys. With the property you're talking about I don't think that even with the 35-40hp machines you're going to say, "Gee, my tractor has too much horsepower, I wish I bought something smaller." Unless your budget really prohibits it, I'd go with that size tractor. You'll find a lot of uses for it and keep adding attachments as time goes on.

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-27          119916

I appologize. I didn't realize I was giving the impression that I wasn't listening.

I am changing my position to some extent. For instance it was pointed out that this machine has considerably less than 20hp and it's not very heavy. It's easy to see how this will reduce it's utility for my purposes.

The other issues I hoped to hear something about were the availability of parts and implements, but if I pass on this one, the point is moot.

Though this discussion, I've been scanning eBay and found, among other things, that B7100's were selling for more than twice what is being asked for this machine, of course I haven't seen it so I have no idea of its condition. But it might be something I could turn around for a profit after getting my feet wet with it.

And finally: Money. It's in short supply. I can't see buying an awful lot of implements for whatever tractor I wind up with. So, it's going to be a Make Do situation.

I'm commited to having a look, but I won't buy unless this thing is so lovely that I can be sure of not losing any money on it. It happens to be next door to the local dealer, so I can make a stop there and ask some questions and have another look at the L-series and any comparable machines. The time woun't be wasted.

To everyone who contributed: I really am listening and I do value the advice generously offered and appreciate the sincerity of your efforts to put me on the right track here. If I do wind up with this B7100, it will have been a better informed decision, and most likely I'd be looking at it as a temporary measure. After all, this little tractor can do some of what needs doing. At least I could clear some of the work I've been leaving undone.

This could be the stop gap measure I need so I can hold off until a used Antonio Carraro machine surfaces.

Again, I do appreciate all the good advice and efforts to help me get it right.
Many thanks,
Mike (who is still hanging around it there's more to be said) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-27          119924

Framtrac is a brand of farm tractor used in this area that might give you more hp for money than the Kubota. But be sure of your needs for remote hyd as they were limited. Not sure now. I have a 27 hp B Kubota and M series. You will need more horses than you think. 52 inch rotary mower is all the 27 Kubota needs but handles it very well. Just that size tractor and mower will be slow on amount you want to cut and will be a rough ride if not very smooth. A postive, will not bog as easy as heavier tractor and if it does lighter to pull out. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-27          119946

Thanks for the tip. I looked up FarmTrac, nice line up. Nearest dealer is about 40 miles. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to visit him too often.

Looks like they make use of electronics in their controls. If not elctronic, at least electrically operated stuff.

I'd have to find a heck of a bargain on something like this to bring it into my price range, though. There were none on eBay, so I haven't been able to get a sense of it's value yet.

It was raining when I went to look at the B7100, but it does definitely look a tad smallish. Nice liitle tractor, though.

Unless the price was very right, I now doubt very much that I go that way. It looks like I'll have to bump my sites up a notch. Now to develop a list of candidates.

Thanks
Mike

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-11-28          119959

Femuse,

First, I agree with the majority of what's been said so far. An L-series sounds more appropriate than a B-series for your needs. However, I think I understand where you are coming from and why you are not interested in a larger machine. A B7100 or similar machine should handle a 48" bush hog, a 60" RFM, and a 48" box blade just fine. For manual work, it will pull a good sized trailer too. You may have to take it slow here and there to compensate for modest HP, but that size machine should work fine as long as you are aware of its limitations.

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-28          119960

femuse,
You may find your state's dept of agriculture has a site for farmers and residents to sell their own equipment. Go to your state's dept of agriculture and look for one. In my state you often find a package being sold. This are often older US brand tractors and are due to person's health for selling. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-28          119985

Actually, what I'd like, having seen the B7100 up close, is something between that and the L-Series. I need to look again at the L to be sure, though.

Our dealer also had a Case DX series tractor that seemed just about right to us. It was new, so it's out of the question, but at least it gives us something to study.

Your perspective on the B7100 puts it about right. We probably can't justify the cost of the ideal tractor. It'll be a make do affair. We have more time than money, so we'll just have to take it easy.

Thanks, _Mike (Still in Limbo)

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-28          119988

femuse,
You asked a question a page ago on what RFM meant if it was "Rotary Finish Mower."
I think they are meaning "REAR" finishing mower (3 point hitch).
I think you will find it being a "rotary" mower assumed unless the person states otherwise. I still remember when asked years ago in if I had a "real" mower. Sure, it was not a toy. No, it was not a "reel" mower, it was a rotary mower. Boy how one letter changes the meaning.
If wrong, forgive me.

Something you may wish to check on for used tractor depending on your area is equipement auctions. BUT BE CAREFUL. This is the time of year they happen around here. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-28          119991

I'm looking into the Virginia Department of Agriculture as I type. Looks like I'll have to roll up my sleeves and wade into this. They're not making it easy.

Thanks,_Mike ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-28          119995

Understood.

It's your own fault, that I'm asking, but just to be sure: A Rotary mower would be a spinning blade, essentially just like the typical old Briggs & Straton lawn mower, No?

I noticed a reference on the Case site of disk mowers. Are they common?

_Mike ....

View my Photos
RRagent

2005-11-28          120000

I was in same boat as you, Bought a B7800, by the time I had used it and had worked with it for 2 years I decided I needed bigger model, Went to L Series and love it. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-28          120002

I see something like that happening with us. You have to egt your feet wet somewhere, but I think, considering the nature of my needs, it would be worse to start with something to large for "intricate" work. I thinks I may have to look at other brands to find a size more to my sense of what would do the job. Something about the size of a Case Farmall DX 33, seems about right, but I'm not going to commit$13-16K to buy a new machine. It will have to be used.
_Mike ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-28          120005

Femuse,

I only know of disc mowers being used for cutting hay. That probably would work fine for pasture but not yard.

As to rotary mower, I think you are correct meaning the blade spins (rotates) as on an old style lawnmower.

You do not need to answwer this due to privacy issues so I am not asking a question here but making some statments:
With you having the amount of land you do it would seem you might have some kind of farming or forestery operation or such. A business of some type either way. If you do you need to talk with your accountant on the true cost of the tractor and equipment. Depending on your other income the cost of the tractor may help offset some of that income. However, be sure you understand the long term impact of farming tax wise if you are not already there. You have to be producing income on some required scale or making good effort to. If you are then you may find the cost of tractor, equipment, land taxes, insurance on both, interest and such business expenses. In my state it also eliminates much of the sales tax for those purchases (for farm use, not just any business) if not all. I AM NOT ACCOUNTANT, just have a good one. So should anybody with business return.
Funny thing on the IRS, you must prove expenses with receipts but they will trust you made money with no proof of that income.

In reading this and adding some info I missed, a thougth you may find beneficial. I again read your first line where you have not driven a tractor (don't remember the amount now) at least much. You may find you would benefit by renting or leasing what you think you want if that option is available to you. Do not ask for daily rate, rather weekly and monthly. This would give you opportunity to test for yourself in your needs without the possibility of over or underbuying. You will have to find rental company or tractor dealership that does this. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-11-28          120012

Femuse, I'm not especially familiar with the B7100 but a quick search found some in the $5-6K range. Is the one you're thinking about 4WD or 2WD? It looked like the 2WDs were going for about $2K. In other words if it's a 4WD it might be a good bargain that would give you good tractor experience plus be able to sell easily if it's a bit small.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-28          120015

I appreciate your points re the fincancial side of the question.

This land is just our own little private preserve. Like a lot of people who flee the city, we had it in mind to have some elbow room and privacy. That we got. However, now that we're out of that in-your-face city environment, I'm learning that I can be irritated by neighbors a half mile or more away, I can hear them and smell their cigarettes when the wind is wrong. Seems a person like me just can't have too much space.

Leasing a tractor sounds like a very interesting proposition. I'll ask around and see what the possibilities are. Could be the safest way to get my feet wet ... tractor-wise.
Thanks _Mike

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-28          120017

Dave,

I was failing to consider that until I inspected the B7100 in question and learned that it is indeed 2WD. I haven't priced the 2WD model, but I'm comfortable you the $2000 range you suggest. It looks like this machine has be kept outside and uncovered, so I suspect it would be worth even less. If the lady offer it for $1000 I think I'd buy it without hesitation, though. It does look like a decent piece of equipment, just not pretty.

Thanks _Mike ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-28          120020

Femuse,
Your comment on the neighbors made me think of our own move 5 1/2 years ago. We already lived in the country but with woods all around us and no farming opperation near. Moved to where crops were almost 360 degrees around us. I had not thought about how far noises travels in basically open land and had late combines run. I also was surprised at how late many of the farmers do get started around me. Have to have their morning store visit to catch up on gossip. What mean, not gossip, business ventures since last night. I have been complained to for using my tractor at 9:00 or so at night and at 7 or 8 of the morning by another neighbor. To which I said you are kidding I know.(well I knew my sister in law was not but knew she might as well be.
This from a guy that had farm some off and on for years. I just had always hired the combine work and was never there for it. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-11-29          120035

Femuse,

Here's another option to add to the mix. If you are not set on having 4WD, why not look at an old Ford 9N, 2N or 8N? They are great old machines and there are thousands of them still around (built in the late 40's to early 50's). You could pick one up in good shape for $2K-$4K. They are closer to the L-series in size but are highly manuverable, simple to operate and very reliable. Just look for one that has been well cared for or has been restored. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-11-29          120040

I'll second the recommendation for a Ford N series. They'll do many of the things a more modern tractor will at the price you're looking at. Also they have a low center of gravity so they're quite safe from tipping over. Most 3PT implements you might buy will be sized well for an L series Kubota if you suddenly want one (like I did :) ). $2-4K should get you a good runner.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-29          120058

It's surprizing how something that happens way off in the distance becomes your own business. I'll hear machinery running in an unusual way or smell smoke and want to know what's going on. Is there the a brush fire, or is the guy two miles off going into the land-fill business. These are things that legitimately effect me.

And Cows. I never suspected cows were capable of such a rich range of vocalizations. Mind boggling.

Then there's guns. Man! Do these people love their guns. Plenty of fully automatic cannon fire around here. I wonder how they can afford the ammunnition. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-29          120059

I'm still actively searching, both for information and for machines. There seems to be an abundance of Ford Series 8 tractors around here. To me they look kinda big. The fact that there are so many, though, makes it likely that I'd have little problem with parts , repairs, or implements. Good strong arguements in favor.

_Mike ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-29          120060

Looking at pictures of the Ford 8's, I'd never have guessed that they had a low center of gravity. Good to know.

Thanks, _Mike ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-29          120062

Sounds like the part of Virginia I am from with the automatic weapons fire. You live near Warrenton? ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-29          120090

Ah Warrenton. Some good tractor dealers up there.

I'm Just a bit south - Pamplin -about half way between Farmville and Appomattox. Nice folks, but boy! do they ever like guns.

For the benefit of anyone still following this thread:
The Offer now includes a transporter trailer, all for the original $2000. I really think this might be the way to learn a little about tractors with out losing a bunch of money. At the same time, my lust has blossomed. I do indeed want a bigger machine, but I can see that it'll take me a few months to find what I want at a price I can pay. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-11-30          120096

It's a small world. I'm just about 10 miles west of Warrenton. Usually its just rifle fire and cows out my way.

If you're familiar with Warrenton, it might be a good idea to drop in and have a look around. If not for comparison shopping, just to develop a good relationship with a mechanic.

In Warrenton: McMichael's (Kubota), Cecil's (used equipment), Smith & Sons (MF), Theros Equipment (NH), Trible Equipment (Deere). There's also another dealer behind the Sheetz with all sorts of older used equipment. There's a bunch more down in Culpeper (Kubota, Kioti, Cub Cadet, and others). ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-30          120101

Femuse,

I think you could make do nicely with this machine. With a bit of practice and becoming comfortable with the machines limitations, strong, and weak point; I am sure you can do most tasks you have in mind. Before I purchased my current Deere 4410, I had a Kubota L245 2WD with a L590 RFM & L1200 FEL. The tractor had turf tires and cut nicely but the rear tires were not filled or ballasted. This made for some real scarey out of control slides to the bottom of some hills a few times but I learned to avoid it. Prior to that I owned an International Cub 154 Lo Boy with a 60" MMM and I made do with it as well, pretty much doing what you are proposing. If the trailer is in any kind of decent shape; it alone is worth $500 or more. Try offering the seller $1,500, they may take it or come back with $1,750. Just be sure to take tractor out and run it hard for at least 20 minutes to check for overheating, leaks, mechanical problems, etc. BEFORE you buy it. Expect to replace some tires if they are the original tires. Definitely DO replace ALL fluids and filters as well as go over the machine with a grease gun and torque wrench. Tractor Smart is a good place to buy OEM parts at a great price.

I don't live in Warrenton but family does. Before I joined the Army and went away, Warrenton was a nice peaceful farm town. That was before the bypass and all of the fast food and strip malls with Wallmart, etc. Now it is a crazy mad house. There is so much traffic that you can't hardly pull out onto Rt. 29 without taking your life in your hands. All of the farms and forested areas are pretty much gone and replace with clear cut, manacured residential lots with OSB & vinyl sided houses that sell for $400,000 and up. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-30          120102

I almost forgot to ask. Does this tractor have a ROPS on it? You definitely want one. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-30          120106

In the event you do buy this machine and it does not have a ROPS installed, download and print a copy of the below link and take it to your Kubota dealer. Kubota offers ROPS/Seatbelt kits for your tractor and MANY others listed. For the B 7100 the ROPS/Seatbelt kit costs $148 plus freight and taxes. You can install the kit yourself and save a few bucks and tremendously improve the safety and value of your tractor at the same time.

Link:   ROPS Retro-fit Guide

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120108

Femuse,
You may just find you want to keep the Kubota and add to it later with bigger tractor. It will amaze you how often a second tractor helps you out. My father in law use to tell me one tractor by itself is about helpless. The only problem I have with my two if I need a bigger one to pull my larger one from a bog. Be advised tractors will not go everywhere. They will roll over and operators do get killed and hurt as Chief has pointed out. Try to get an operator's manual for your tractor. I do not have my tires on my B Kubota filled with ballast either and they would give them more traction and might give it more stability. However, it also would add a lot of weight to a finished yard where it is used a lot. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-30          120153

>>> It's a small world.

And getting smaller - Virginny seems to be over-run by newbies these days ... myself included.

Thanks to the leads regarding dealers in Warrenton, I had less than half the names.

_Mike ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-30          120154

>>> ... manacured residential lots with OSB & vinyl sided
>>> houses that sell for $400,000 and up.

Cardboard mansions for the over-paid. You didn't mention the acryllic stone porticos. Ya just gotta love it.

Sad to see Virginia go the way of all things. It's happened pretty fast. I've seen major changes here in the 10 years since I moved in.

Thanks to the points to check before I plunk down my money. I was tempted to push for $1800, but I'm not sure I want to twist her arm. I'll also be sure to do the fluids and filters thing.

No ROPS on this one. I've been wondering what to do about that.

Thanks again, _Mike

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-30          120155

>>> For the B 7100 the ROPS/Seatbelt kit
>>> costs $148 plus freight and taxes

Very reasonable.

Double thanks
_Mike ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-11-30          120156

>>> The only problem I have with my two if I need a
>>> bigger one to pull my larger one from a bog.

A man can never have too many tractors.

I'm already thinking in terms of keeping the one I don't even have yet to suppliment the one I might get some day. This is definitely a form of dimentia.

Adding ballast seems like a good idea and I won't have to worry aboutthe added weight ruining my finished lawn for the foreseeable future.

>>> ...operators do get killed and hurt...

I'm hoping there's a manual with it, but I did find some on the Web. I was trying to find articles on how to drive the thing, but safety is what I found. I've been reading about how not to get hurt all afternoon.

You guys are giving me some excellent advice. I realised as soon as I went to have a look at this machine that I was on another planet, but bit by bit I'm being fed enought information to get through this is pretty good shape.

I'm going back for a find inspection and to make my deal on Saturday. I hope I'll know enough by then to be able to drive the little monster around the yard. The woman selling it hasn't a clue, so it'll be by the seat of my pants. Good thing it's a little one.

Many thanks,
_Mike

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-01          120164

Femuse,
Yep, need bigger...I was at two dealerships yesterday afternoon on different matter just thinking of that again, but this one needs cab with cold air and little heat.

If I remember your first comments on this lady and the tractor and reading into your attitude with her. It could be a part of her husbands memory that she hates to part with. (Could be she used the tractor to run ower him also.) It would be polite to offer her a little less and let her tell you yes or why not. There is a funny thing in an ind. selling such, if they ask a certain price and you do not offer a lower price they feel they sold too low. If if you think were being generous they still feel that way. I know this may seem strange but if she has fond memories of her husband with this tractor, a short note to her later is a great idea on how much you are enjoying the tractor or such. This is good for two reasons. First it will help her feel better about parting with her husbands things. Second, it may be she comes across something such as manual or part or who knows what that might benefit you and would let you know. (This does mean you enclose your name, mailing address and phone number in the note. She probably will not have any way to contact you after the sale.) I sold a tiller to a man who wrote me a check. After the check was cashed I found an attachment I did not need or could use but had no idea his name much less how to reach him. Became high price junk. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-01          120165

I've always found that buying something used or old is just as much fun as buying new. You might want another model someday but you can deal with that later. This one should do alot of work for you.

Have fun.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-01          120168

If you need a manual, try Tractor Smart. Ronnie Bowman is a wealth of information on the Kubotas and he may be able to email you the operator's, parts, and shop manuals as well has help you out with any parts or technical advice. ....

Link:   Kubota B Series Manuals

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-12-01          120196

I haven't asked exactly how her husband came to be in the past tense, but age seem fairly happy to see the tractor go. I suspect she has Christmas shopping in mind.

I agree that any generous impulse I might yield to might not be recogized as such by the seller. And I've certainly found myself thinking I could have done better, after wrapping up a deal. It all goes with the territory, I guess.

I also like the idea of a follow up contact with the seller. Both for practical reasons such as you suggest as well as for the little personal reasons. I'd like her to think her tractor made someone happy.

Nice thoughts.

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-12-01          120198

As far as I'm concerned, it even more fun buying used equipment - the major depreciation has already occured, the most obvious problems has been revealed, and of course, I can afford it.

_Mike ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-12-01          120199

When I hear "Ronnie Bowman" I think of bluegrass and the Lonesome River Band.

Thanks for the link. I think it would be well worth it to have an owners and shop manual. I have the tools, all I'll need to do repairs is that specific information.

Thanks, _Mike ....

View my Photos
PeterTosh

2005-12-10          120781

For 20 years I used a 17 HP L175 tractor to mow and work on 15 acres. It was always a little undersized, but since it was paid for, it was a good deal. When your undersized everything takes longer. For some people that is not a bad thing. BE SAFE! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-10          120788

Femuse,

Did you get the tractor? If so, having fun?

kt ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-12-11          120868

For the moment that little tractor's gonna seem like a whirlwind. I'm pretty fast with a weed whacker, but from the little pass I made with the tractor, it must be 10 times as fast.

I'm sure I'll be satisfied ... til spring

_Mike ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-12-11          120869

Got got it home just ahead of the snow, and just before dark. I had time to back it off the trailer and do a little cut around the parking area, Kewl!!! I'm pretty happy with the way it cuts. I hope it won't mind being used as a mini brush hog.

I haven't really played with it since - been trying to get a new computer together, but I just put it into service today. In fact, visiting this forum is my first productive pass with it. Maybe now I can get out there and play with the tractor.

By the way, I didn't haggle. We're were pleased with the way the engines sounded and the way it behaved. The trailer is very substantial and in good shape, too. I think the deal was fair.

_Mike ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-21          121495

femuse,

Glad you like your tractor. "haggling" use to be an art form. The big box stores make us think it is not suppose to be done today. It will surprise many to learn even some of them will haggle if you ask. In some curtails it is expected. Now, a gentleman knows when he should not haggle either.

I have a CUT that loves a brush cutter. Be sure your cutter can safely handle what you want to cut without damaging it.

kt ....

View my Photos
MisterMike

2005-12-23          121612

Almost everyone who wants a tractor has the same problem of deciding on the right size. When I started looking I noticed that all of the late model used tractors at the dealers were the smaller units. Many had mowers and backhoes to match the tractor. They sure were cute and looked like a lot of fun to use and fun was important to me.I had the good fortune to have a dealer that answered my questions honestly, offered good advice and I had the good fortune to believe him. The reason he said that there were so many previously owned little tractors availabled, is that they were too small to do much actual work and after a year or two thay were traded in for a larger size. I bought the Grand L Series and have enjoyed every hour on the meter. I admit I have been up against several stumps and large rocks where I wish I had an even larger tractor but I'm quite happy with my Grand L tractor. ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-12-27          121799

As soon as I got that tractor home I turned to finishing the computer I'd started building. It's been a real problem - probably a faulty motherboard, but the effects were all subtle and indirect.
The result: I haven't been back to this forum recently. ;-(

>>Now, a gentleman knows when he should not haggle either.
I like to think that was the case. I'm a pretty fair haggler, for an amateur. ;-)

This brush gutter business should be the next question I address. Someone has already suggested that the 60" belly mower on this thing is effectively a mini-brush hog. I guess I'll try it on some mini-brush.

_Mike ....

View my Photos
Femuse

2005-12-27          121800

>> Almost everyone who wants a tractor has the same
>> problem of deciding on the right size.

Certainly true for me, but my finances and inexperience narrowed my range to something I could purchase, use, and possibly resell without too much of a loss. I think what this little Kubota is, if nothing else, a real piece of equipment, not a lawn toy.

If it all works out, I'll probably find it easier to justify the cost of an upgrade.

Now to try to get something done with it.
_Mike
_Mike ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login