Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Internet Sales Policy

View my Photos
bobodude
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-27          92055

Happened to be surfing and found this little item from Carver Equipment Co. that pretty much states, Kubota frowns very seriously on selling tractors over the net. Here is the URL to read the policy that was apparently issued back in March 2004. Kubota requires a face to face deal. Get your details here --- http://carverequipment.com/kubota.htm

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
FERRARI
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-31          92378

Their base price is $1000.00 higher than I paid for my new B-2910 and with mine I got a 72" MMM....their price is for just tractor........Buy from your local dealer....He is the one who is going to service your tractor thru the years.....I bet if you go to 2 or 3 dealers in you area ( even if you have to go 50 miles out to get 3 dealers ) you will find a better deal than they have..... ....

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Kubota Internet Sales Policy

View my Photos
stevenc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-04          92738

Kubota is scared to death of internet dealers,,they threatened their dealers,,FAIR TRADE?? (I doubt it) ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-04          92743

Once again stevenc, you no nothing of what you type. Every reputable dealer and company would rather have a face to face transaction on that big of a purchases. That is just how a good business runs. ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-08-05          92748

just as I said,,Kubota is scared to death of internet sales,,and in the USA the "fair trade law",,it needs to be tested,,Kubota tells its dealers how to sell the product,, ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-08-05          92749

ONEACE,,by the way,,that was a MEAN statment,,cant I have a opinion? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-05          92755

yes you can have an opinion. But kubota is not scared of Internet sales. IF they sold on the net there would have twice the sales volume they have now. Just because you see two New Holland dealers selling on e-bay or where ever New Holland Corporate dose not stand behind this practice either. I do not know how Deere sets there sales standards but I assume that they frown on net sales as well. These companies like the sale to be personal. They want to look at your face read your body language. "Most"(with a few exceptions) dealers regardless of what color the paint is want you to be happy from the time you walk in the doors till the time you walk out and live happily ever after with your unit. The net takes all of that out. You simply become a number in a computer. They can not tell if your happy or not if they can not see your face. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-05          92756

Unfortunately, scammers and scoundrels everywhere now how to exploit the anonymity of the Internet.

What Kubota is doing is merely good business practice, the same as a whole host of other companies. Go the GM, Ford or Daimler-Chrysler websites and see for yourself. They will happily give you the MSRP for a given vehicle, they will even tell you the cost with the exact options you want. Do the dealers sell them for MSRP, not if they want to actually sell something.

Corporate espionage is a big threat to any business. It can be as big as stealing key employees, or as little as shopping the competition for pricing. The solution, make a live person do the pricing face-to-face, not anonymously over the Internet.

If that's illegal or unfair, then why didn't somebody tell me when McCarthy came back to life?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-05          92759

Murf, I wish I could have your mind for one day. I know I would definitely learn something. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-05          92762

Help yourself, I don't use it all that often, LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-08-05          92764

I have a different take on this internet stuff. For me, I wished all MFG including Kubota would at least post all MSRP figures, the same way Deere does.. This in itself, would help many more eye to eye contact sales at a dealership.. Why? I'm tired of pricing machines, particularly Kubota, in my neighborhood and find all prices much higher than MSRP.. As I've said so many times before, the dealers in my area are screaming, no sales.. You know what? NONE OF THEM deserve to sell a thing when they demand way over list and more.. There is no discussion, no barrtering, etc.. THIS IS why so many in the New England area are buying through the internet as cold sales or at least finding out what prices are in other areas.. I've done this myself and to find 7 - 10 thousand cheaper is a real wake up call. I'm not interested in Deere, however, I give them credit as you go to their build and price, at least you are armed with list prices and no dealer can up those substantially as is happening here. So Yes, in a way Kubota and others are hanging themselves in certain ways.. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-05          92780

Yeah I can see where listing the msrp would help allot and I think they SHOULD do that. But as far as actually selling the machine off the Internet that I do not agree with.
If you go to dodge Chevy or ford they will show you the msrp then find the closest dealer that has what you are looking for in stock. Now that is the way to do it. You know what you are going in with but you still have the face to face transaction.

View my Photos
jamese

2004-08-05          92782

so,,i have to pay the local price? NOT,, I think I should be ableto buy on the internet if I like,,GO STEVER ....

View my Photos
JD855

2004-08-05          92784

Before I happened into this John Deere, I was seriously considering the Kubota BX2200 tractor, loader, mid-mower & snow blower. The interesting part was, the dealer here in Mid Wisconsin wanted $2000+ more than the dealer in Arkansas. When I sat down with the WI dealer he explained it like this" We get 50 units and we can sell those 50 units; at almost any price. If you pass it by, someone else will by that unit this year". So they end up $100k ahead at the end of the year. Fair trade or controlled pricing by Kubota, doesn't seem so. I believe there is a Kubota dealer on this site, I'd be interested in his take on this. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-08-05          92791

Who did you talk to in WI? My dealer (Service Motors Co.)treated me very fairly and the price I paid was quite acceptable to me. Funny, the way you were treated is exactly what I got from several area JD dealers, which is why I tried the Kubota dealer (I never knew much about them before). ....

Link:   My Website

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-08-05          92792

This, is exactly what my beef is with Kubota and others.. A dealer near me will ask list price plus, plus, plus and before you know it, he's quoting several thousands higher than list.. Some don't know any better, don't ask and pay it.. Some do know better and walk.. Then this same dealer is the first to stand up and complain he's losing sales to out of territory dealers. As far as I'm concerned, tough!!! As far as the right to use internet and sell through it, I thought this was a free country? I can understand getting lists prices, going to the local dealer (WHO cannot) add what they want to list, talk-negotiate whatever, either you can deal or not.. If not, what's wrong with going elsewhere? Kubota and NH are losing sales big time here in this area just because of their corporate policies. They only need to look in the mirror.. Oneace, I believe you work for a very large and popular dealer. If I have the wrong guy, sorry about that.. You can't complain too much as a lot, a huge number in fact, are sales brought to this neighborhood because our dealers won't talk.. You at least get a decent job out of it and have work tomorrow to go to.. Maybe you don't think/see it this way, this is how I see it.. Be reasonable with your customers or be gone.. I don't feel sorry for one single dealer around here just because of attitudes... All I have to do is cross over to NY state, PA, and even possibly upper VT, and it;s a different world out there.... ....

View my Photos
bobodude

2004-08-05          92797

My original post on this thread has brought out a good number of comments, thank you. I did as most of you, tried to get a reasonable cost estimate on owning a Kubota. I would do the same for any large purchase I want to make. They make it very difficult. I think this is a niche product and they know it. They don't have to advertize or post their MSRP. The serious buyer will buy and the lookie lues will not. The same can be said for the implement end of this "hobby". I can't seem to find MSRP's on any Woods or LandPride products on their sites either. Their all in kahoots. It is interesting that when I asked my dealer what he thought of internet sales, he got this ugly look on his face and said he hates dealing with the net. It is a waste of his time. He said he has gotten tired of given quotes when 1 out of 100 may buy and that is becuase they are within a reasonable distance to come in FACE to FACE and make the deal. Shipping costs take all the savings out of the sale. So BE HAPPY and visit your dealer today... ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-05          92798

Welcome to America. It is the dealer's right to quote his price, and your right to walk away from it. They buy the iron from Kubota, or whoever, and sell it according to the highest market price they can. It isn't any different than any other purchase through a dealer network, including autos. Auto makers have contracts with the dealers that they are the sole source for how their product will be delivered to the market. Most manufacturers with dealer systems will opperate the same way.

I would also like to see MSRP on the internet, just for planning. You would get a basic ides of where your budget would take you. But the dealer is alomost the most important part of the purchase. I couldn't imagine buying a $15k machine over the internet, without a dealer involved to honor the warranty, or without meeting the peaple that I will be dealing with over the life of the machine. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-05          92806

That is my point exactly beagle. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-06          92864

I ran into somebody a while back at the feed mill, a local 'horsey' person, they were complaining to the local who runs the place about a) the high price of feed, and b) the fact that the 'local' Cub Cadet dealer had gone out of business.

The interesting part of what he said about his Cub was that he was now going to have to travel 3 hours to the dealer he bought it from, and even though his prices were lower the travel would kill the savings.

The mill operator & I just smiled at each other.

Then the fellow says "Why aren't your prices as for this as low as the other mill I usually buy from?".

The mill operator replies, because a) you don't qualify for any volume discounts because you buy most of your feed elsewhere, and b) because my overall production is lower so my costs have to be a little higher.

I still don't what was more incredible, the fact that this guy got indignant because the local businesses he WASN'T supporting him were either more expensive because of it or had just plain gone out of business, or that he couldn't understand it.

If somebody doesn't make a profit today, don't expect them to be there tomorrow waiting for it to walk in the door either.

When clients complain about price my reply is usually the same "Do YOU make a reasonable profit on what YOU do for a living?". If the answer is yes the discussion is over, if they say 'no' I tell them I'm not sure I want to take the job if they can't afford to do it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-06          92870

Once again Murf nails it right on the head. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-06          92875

If you keep this up I'm going to have to give Mark all my nice size 8 hats 'cause they won't fit from the swelling. ....

View my Photos

2004-08-06          92879

I have customers at my dealership who will drive 4 hours away to buy their cars at higher prices that I have just because they veiw me as "rich" (which I'm not, If I was I wouldnt be kissing up to them I'd be relaxing at home)
But guess who they call when they break down? It sure as heck isn't the guy 4 hours away. EVERY dealer no matter how big or small sees where you buy your equipment. At the very leaset give them a shot at earning your business. If they can't be competitive or blow you off then shame on them. They should take care of their local customers. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-06          92881

Murf you have the ability to put what I am thinking in to your words. I do not know how you do it but you catch my thoughts all the time. ....

View my Photos
cheesesteak

2004-08-06          92905

SOOOOO, why is it that "cost" and MSRP numbers as avaliable for autos are not available online for tractors???????????? ....

View my Photos
cheesesteak

2004-08-06          92906

....AND, how long will it be before there is a 'Cars Direct'- type site for tractors. It's just a product, and it's just followup/maintenence/warranty issues just like autos, so what's the big deal?? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-06          92909

I dont know why don't you rub your crystal ball and ask?
We are not the ceo's of these companies, all we do is speculate.

MY guess is numbers. How many cars are sold each year compared to tractors? But that is my guess. The only other reson I can think of is lazyness. ....

View my Photos

2004-08-07          92922

I can field this one, having owned a car dealership and working for John Deere for years.
The tractors are much more controlled by the companies in respect to both number of dealerships and marketing by the store.In my territory there are 28 Chrysler stores and 5 John Deere stores. True everone needs a car and not everyone a tractor but the farmers who do have 30 pieces of equip and 1 car. Chrysler wants me to sell cars period. Deere wants life long one on one customers. There are actually JD dealers that will meet and set prices and territory lines with a map. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login