Go Bottom Go Bottom

Komatsu FG10 forklift drive problem

View my Photos
michaela2z
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-06          154298

Hi. Got a FG10 forklift and it is giving no drive. I have taken the valve/gear selector off the top of the gearbox and there is no fluid been pumped out of the top. There is plenty of transmission fluid so what could be stopping the fluid from been pumped?? Thanks in advance for any help, Michael.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-06          154303

Michaela2z,

Is this forklift new to you? Do you have any history to go on?

Forklifts are among the most abused pieces of equipment on the planet. Rarely do they get any service attention, or maintenance.

If this forklift was used when you got it, I'd do a complete service on it.....ie, change the filters, fluids, and clean the hydraulic sump screen (provided it has one.)

Joel ....

View my Photos
michaela2z

2008-06-06          154308

No its not new but dont have a history for it, it was working before it blew a core plug then was sat a while then now there is no drive thats all I know. Thinking and hoping it may well just be air locked so gonna try pouring trans oil from the top of the pump to get oil round the system. If not like you said ill take a look at filters etc.
But im definately with you when you say they are the most abused lol, I havn't used it but it looks like its been round the bush a while. Thanks for the help and fast reply :) ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-06          154309

Blew a "core plug"?

You lost me there. Maybe that's just a term I'm not familiar with.

If you could fill me in, I'd much appreciate it.

Thank you.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-06-06          154315

I suspect that by "core plug" they mean frost plug.

Older hydraulic system don't like to sit for long periods without use, the old seals get brittle really fast when they're allowed to dry out.

I doubt it would take much of a leak(s) to disable the poor old girl.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
michaela2z

2008-06-07          154354

Yey it works. Looks like the pump needed priming because it hadnt been used for ages. I sat pouring oil into the top of the gearbox lines then all of a sudden it started working and liek when you stirke oil I was lost in a shower of transmission oil frantically trying to find the screwdriver/key to turn it off lol! So everything is honky dorey now.
And yes by core plug I do mean frost plug, the owners use to leave it out evidently withough anti-freeze :-/

Thanks for the help everyone ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-07          154361

Michaela2z,

Glad to hear you got the thing going.

The frost plug in the engine was probably removed when a block heater was installed. You could easily install a block heater in the same hole, should you wish to do so.

Joel

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login