Go Bottom Go Bottom

Broken valve rocker arms

View my Photos
pops502
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-30          154089

I have a Komatsu d31P-18 Dozer that has 6 broken valve rocker arms. Has anyone experience broken rocker arms?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Broken valve rocker arms

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-31          154100

Six broken rocker arms? I could be wrong but it sure sounds as if something such as a timing gear has caused the engine to come out of time and the pistons hit some valves. Has the engine been worked on lately? ....

Broken valve rocker arms

View my Photos
pops502
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-31          154107

Thanks for the response. We are pulling the front end apart to check the cam drive and timing. The engine has not been worked on recently. It was being operated by a novice who says he didn't hear or do anything but I also wonder if it was overreved and the valves floated. we are also checking the governor. ....

Broken valve rocker arms

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-31          154108

I didn't think about over-reving the engine, usually that is not a likely possiblity. It does happen though. Did the operator say anything about the engine operation that was out of the ordinary before the damage happened? If there is a problem with the govenor in the injector pump, you want to have the pump checked before you start the engine again.

I have seen and heard of rare instances of the engine running away and something like this happens.

If the rockers are broken due to valve/piston contact, the valves are likely bent and the pistons damaged. Will all of the valves push up and down freely in the head? Are any stuck in the open position? I sure hope not and it is something else. Diesels rarely miss a beat but when they do, it "ain't" cheap or easy. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login