Go Bottom Go Bottom

1999 DK45 ignition issues

View my Photos
OLmassey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-12-18          194226

recently got a 1999 DK45. it kept pulling the battery down while the tractor was off. Jumped the tractor and then couldn't turn it off by the switch. Now the dash light do not come on when switch is turned on. We changed switch and still the same. But after the change when you turn the switch to ACC it buzzes for about 2 seconds. we checked all the fuses and they all seem to be fine. Anyone had this problem before? Any help is appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-12-18          194227

I would

-order a Service Manual from a dealer or the head office. It will surely have an electrics diagram that I'd check one circuit at a time.

-buy a battery-disabler. Don't know the exact name, but it's under $5, attaches to the battery positive, and the pos cable attaches to it. Unscrew the green knob a few turns and the battery's disconnected. (You can unscrew it until it comes off to keep in your pocket, so your car can't be hot-wired.) Then I'd connect the battery only for cranking so I could use the tractor until fixed. (The battery will need charging after a number of uses, and you won't have horn or lights with it disconnected.) ....

View my Photos
cheapscot

2015-12-18          194228

I have a DK 40 and the switches are notorious for getting wet and shorting things out. What I ended up doing was buying a seperate switch as a spare for when absolutely necessary, but I also used some duct tape on the top side of the switch recess to shield the switch from rain. ( If you have a cab this will obviously not be your problem, but if you don't more often than not it will be.) Another way to deal with it is to take the switch out from the side mount and leave it hanging under the dash where the rain can't get at it.

The switch itself is easy to dismantle for cleaning and drying, but slide it apart slowly so the two spring loaded ball bearings recessed into the edges of the switch body don't shoot off into the distance. As you now should have a second switch to use as a standby you probably won't even have to go this far, - just swap the switches again, put the switch you just took out somewhere warm to dry for a couple of days and try it out. There isn't much inside that will corrode unless it has been standing wet for a long time. If it has then you might still have to clean off the copper contacts with some fine emery to renew them. Your new switch is unlikely to have this problem yet so I would use it as your primary until you get a chance to inspect the old one properly.

- You say you already changed the switch, but my experience has been all it took was one good rain to soak the changed out switch until I started to use the duct tape to shield the switch recess. ( I also left the switch hanging for a while, which worked just as well). All the symptoms I had were the same as what you have described, so it's worth a shot.

Good luck! ....

View my Photos
OLmassey

2015-12-18          194229

ok so after further research we found the issue. it was the power wire in the connecter under the floor. the positive wire terminal was broken. we are going to try and see if we can just order the terminal and not replace the whole connection. does anyone have a part number for the terminal? ....

View my Photos
cheapscot

2015-12-18          194230

If you were up here I would suggest my dealer, but since you are down in the States I would look at Michigan Iron Equipment. They seem to stock most pieces and they have a website with actual readable parts diagrams!

-Glad you found the problem. ....

View my Photos
OLmassey

2015-12-20          194234

well good news. Since only the power wire was broken we just bypassed the connection. we ran a fuse into the wire, wrapped it in shrink wrap and sealed the harness back up. also filled it with dialectic grease so we wont have any more water issues.. hopefully problem solved. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login