Go Bottom Go Bottom

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
sandie11
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-02          65308

I have a LB1914 with 200 hours on it. A while back it started slipping in the steering. You could turn and turn the wheel and nothing happened. Finally quit steering all together. Called the rep and he told me it was the pump in the front. This is a Danish pump on a Korean tractor. I replaced the pump ($250) and now it keeps the wheels turned completely to one side. In other words I still can't steer it. I can raise the loader up and down. I asked the rep about warranty help since this tractor has very little use on it. He said forget it. One dealer in the area told me that it was a valve on the transmission/hydraulic pump. I took out the valve and rebuilt it. It was working, but I am desperate. When there was 40 hours on this tractor I had to replace a $40 lever in the transmission to shift from high to low. Cost me $1400. I really just want to get this fixed and trade it for a green tractor. At least there is factory support. Can anyone please tell me what is wrong? I really loved this tractor until all of this. The tractor has been babied and taken care of. With this problem I have changed the hydraulic fluid three times. Oh it is blowwing by really hard too. Does anyone have an answer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-03          65360

Sandie: I'm not sure how the PS is set up. On many tractors there is a separate pump and the HST/main pump wouldn't have anything to do with steering. My Ford PS is fed from a priority valve off the main pump. Could be either setup.

The steering sounds like a sensor problem. Many systems have a power assist servo and there isn't a mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the wheels. There is a sensor often on the steering wheel shaft that detects motion to determine direction of the hydraulics. There's a chance the problem is a misconnection when the new pump was installed but it's very tough to say without a manual.

If the blowby is out of the crankcase breather there may be serious problems with the engine. Excessive exhaust smoke also indicates problems but these are more frequently adjustment or filter problems. If the tractor has sat around a lot you might try a tank of fresh diesel, changing the fuel and air filters and the using an additive such as Marvel Mystery Oil. Think on the bright side and maybe a simple fix will do it but maybe see if the rep can come up with a manual to help other mechanics.

It doesn't sound like you're having much luck with the tractor. There have been a couple reports of broken castings on Kioti here but from most discussion they seem to be OK tractors. However, dealer support is a good reason for many people to pay higher the prices for one of the big 3 or 4. ....

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-03          65411

Am I reading this correctly? Your tractor had 40 hours on it and was out of warranty? ....

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-03          65425

I have the same question as Mark.
What was their reason for not warrantying the high,low range selector at 40 hours ?
How old is the tractor ? ....

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
sandie11

2003-10-03          65432

I bought the tractor used with 12 hours on it. The man who had it tried to fix his backyard and his neighbors turned him in for disturbing a wetland. (Can you beleive that?) He parked it in his garage for 10 months and then took it back to the dealer to resell and I bought it. I think the lack of warranty stinks. I do appreciate any help with this. I can't find the 800 number to the service rep so I am going to email them again. However I have found out that people like you all are normally a better source of information. ....

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-03          65440

Things are bad when a person is not permitted to fix up his own back yard !!
As far as the warrany issue. I'm not sure how warranty works with used tractors.
If the warranty had expired most mfg's would most likely not help with warranty issues regardless of how few hours are on the machine.(Again this is my opinion,I don't know how mfg. handle these problems).

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-04          65508

It sort of sounds like figuring out the hookup on the PS and a good general servicing has a decent chance of fixing things. The oil and fuel additive thing has solved a few oil-blowing problems on tractors that weren't run for awhile. Warrantee and rep support issues aside. At least one good positive thought for the day.

It might be a little tough to figure out the PS thing here since there are a few basic designs, apparently no manuals and I don't know who replaced the pump. It shouldn't be too difficult for an experienced mechanic who has the tractor to work on though. Maybe the rep has access to service and parts manuals for the steering. ....

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
Mugs21

2003-12-13          71045

Go to this link and you can read all about this problem. I had exactly the same problem, and with help from the forum got it rectified a year ago and it has been perfect ever since.
http://jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/fullThread.pl?parentnum=46619&catname=Kioti&catcode=KI#46619 ....

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-15          71202

This is a bit complicated but I sent Sandy the link that Mugs21 ACA Partridge sent to Sandy.

Good Morning,
Thank you for your reply. I replaced the pump in the front that has the the four hoses connected. Where exactly is this motor? Is it the item that the shaft from the steering goes into? Is this something I can replace? Actually my boyfriend would do it. (He says that my place is in the kitchen, fixing equipment is for the guys). I have tried to pick up the front by raising it on the bucket and then straightening out the wheels by hand, pulling it up and dropping the bucket so I can pull it on a trailer and take it to the dealership, but the hydraulics don't have enough power to push the tractor up. (I haven't had time to go and jack it up). I can't get it on the trailer with the bucket where it is. I have called the dealership three times to talk to the service man and he has never returned my call. My tractor is an 1996 and has 201 hours on it. Do you think it could be replaced like the one Mr.. Paltridge had? It would be so nice to have something go right with this tractor. I really don't need to take out another mortgage on this thing, cost me too much in the first place. I spoke to the factory rep and he told me that he could have me keep changing parts until we get it right. Seems expensive to me. I can't afford $1800 for 200 hours of use, not to count the oil, filters, hoses, etc. I have had to replace on this tractor. I definitely am getting rid of it when it is fixed. At least you can get service and someone who knows what is wrong, and normally they don't break as quick. I can't thank you enough for your replying. Kind of restores my faith in humans. Thank you and have a good holiday. Sandie Wilks

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-15          71207

Sandie;
When you post you can have the post send you a message if someone replys. I recalled the earlier discussion and therefore sent you the message. I also posted your reply to the board.
Partridge had his main pump replaced and then they were going to replace the motor as you did. The problem is likely in the control valve system which is connected to the end of the steering wheel rod. Likely a little dirt in one of the valves or some air.
As the system is an add on ie. the original design did not call for hydraulic steering, my brother in-law has a 89. The system is full power steering and not power assist. Therefore the controller at the end of the shaft controls the wheel control and whether the valves are operating correctly. I would suspect that it is now calling for the power to be directed to one side and therefore the wheels are locked over. As the wheel is locked to the side the pressure control valve has opened and this is bleeding pressure from the system making it too weak to lift the wheels.
Peters

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
Bill P

2004-03-30          81600

I had same exact problem and also bought power steering pump from Danish CO. $700 just for part and it did not fix problem. Finally someone said to have dealer repack or chane some kind of bushings, I think in the steering column itsself. I dont think it was in the wheels. I cant find the paperwork on it I checked. But mention that to your dealer. Thats what I did and I got the info off a board like this one. After $2000 and alot of aggravation it finally fixed it. I wish i could remember exactly what is was but it was something like what i mentioned. Good Luck I know what your going Through ....

LB 1914 Steering

View my Photos
wayne

2004-04-06          82320

I have the same problem with my steering on a LB1914,you have to turn it left befor you can turn it right. if you try to turn right it free turnsall the way. I live in utah and nearest dealer is in arizona. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login